Scion Mythos officially

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sacerdos View Post

Nyrufa, I'm pretty sure Charlaquin banned you from posting on this threat, so maybe retreat instead of threatening me with the Infinite Perspective Vortex over making a joke about media I actually love. And in any case, I am also pretty sure that squid don't represent infinity to most people.

I was neither trying to threaten you, nor make jokes. But I saw the previous quote and just felt compelled to reply with my own thought on the subject.

Anyways, I'll go back to lurking in this thread's background, while we wait to hear more information about this project.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sacerdos View Post
      Nyrufa, I'm pretty sure Charlaquin banned you from posting on this thread
      I did, but next time please just report the post instead of engaging with the thread-banned user.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• I’m very surprised that the Old Ones will be gods, rather than some other outside context problem. Isn’t that what defines them?

I guess Dragons are the “third force” though. Honestly it just sound like a gimmicky ploy that Onyx Path knows will attract paying customers - which is fine because they’re a business, but Lovecraft’s themes of cosmic insignificance in a game of divine superstars makes it feel like they’re selling out.

Had it been a chapter in a Shards book? Sure, but it still seems like material better covered in a community content Vault.

Comment

• Dragons are in OFFICIAL line supplement called 'Scion Dragons'. This topic is dedicated to book 'Scion - Masks of Mythos' - which will be Scion Shard. Dragons are part of official line, ( And they are from 1E, I may add.) Old Ones will be in one time Shard book. HUGE differance.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
          LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

• Actually I wasn’t criticizing the Dragons supplement at all. I was saying how they fill a “third force” already so Lovecraftian Old Ones would be redundant in that situation.

Comment

• I think mixing Scion and the Cthulhu Mythos could work with just a few tweaks, even without making Scions the spawn of the Great Old Ones. Here is the approach I'd take:

The "Outer Gods" of the Mythos such as Azatoth, Shub-Niggurath, Nyarlathotep, and so forth are cosmic-scale entities similar to the Primordials. They can be warded against for a time, but never truly defeated. But the Great Old Ones such as Cthulhu, Dagon, Ghatanotoa and so forth are ultimately finite beings not on the same scale as the Outer Gods - so they can be on a similar scale as the anthromorphic Gods of Scion.

But how can we reconcile the potency of the gods of human beliefs with the notions that, in the cosmology of the Cthulhu Mythos, humans are an insiginificant and ultimately doomed species? The key, I think, lies in these lines from "The Call of Cthulhu":

"The time would be easy to know, for then mankind would have become as the Great Old Ones; free and wild and beyond good and evil, with laws and morals thrown aside and all men shouting and killing and revelling in joy. Then the liberated Old Ones would teach them new ways to shout and kill and revel and enjoy themselves, and all the earth would flame with a holocaust of ecstasy and freedom."

These lines can be interpreted in different ways, but to my mind this sounds like a form of Transhumanism - humans can become as powerful as the Great Old Ones, as long as they are willing to abandon what made them human in the first place.

And ultimately, isn't this part of the very process of becoming a God in Scion? The Scions start out as mere mortals with a special spark, but the more they grow in power and the more their Legend grows, the more they have to abandon their humanity and become altogether alien entities that are connected to humans by a mere thread.

And while some Gods fight to retain their connections to humanity, this is ultimately as doomed as humanity itself - once humanity has passed on, the Great Old Ones of Earth will scatter across the universe and gibbering things under alien stars too will worship entities with unspeakable names such as "Tezcatlipoca", "Thor", or "Donnie Rhodes".

Sunken Castles, Evil Poodles is creating Public Domain translations of German folklore!

A German Geek - my gaming blog!

Comment

Working...
              X