Virtue and Momentum in Hero

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtue and Momentum in Hero

In Origin, it’s stated that a player may spend Momentum from the Momentum pool for any roll, as long as the other players agree. However, in Hero, there seems to be an unspoken assumption that Heroes can only spend Momentum in rolls specifically related to their pantheon virtues (or to power Knacks or Boons). For example, the write-up on the Virtuous condition seems to assume that you’re spending Momentum on an action related to one of your Virtues (and if you’re Virtuous, you get to add another die without spending a Momentum point).

Am I reading this right? That Origin level characters can spend Momentum on any action (provided the other players agree), but Heroes can only spend Momentum on virtue-related actions? —Jim Gardner

That's actually a bit unclear. Near as I can figure, the difference is this:

PCs, at any point, can spend 1 Momentum to add one die to any roll.

HOWEVER! The Virtues Sidebar in Origin notes that if you spend Momentum in a roll that acts in accordance with one of your Virtues adds a bonus die. This could be made a bit more clear, but my takeaway is that if you spend a Momentum enhancing a roll that aligns with a Virtue, that one Momentum gives you two dice.

The advantage of the Virtuous Condition is that the two-for-one thing applies all the time, but you can't go against your Virtue.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
      That's actually a bit unclear. Near as I can figure, the difference is this:

PCs, at any point, can spend 1 Momentum to add one die to any roll.

HOWEVER! The Virtues Sidebar in Origin notes that if you spend Momentum in a roll that acts in accordance with one of your Virtues adds a bonus die. This could be made a bit more clear, but my takeaway is that if you spend a Momentum enhancing a roll that aligns with a Virtue, that one Momentum gives you two dice.

The advantage of the Virtuous Condition is that the two-for-one thing applies all the time, but you can't go against your Virtue.
      This is correct. You can still spend Momentum at any time.

Neall Raemonn Price
      Beleaguered Scion Developer

Comment

Originally posted by Neall View Post

This is correct. You can still spend Momentum at any time.
        I noticed this is a common source of confusion, you may want to make it clearer in Hero that you can still spend Momentum at any point

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Working...
        X