Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not interested in the Pantheon you know?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Not interested in the Pantheon you know?

    So I have had some time to read the book and think about characters some. I admit to being a bit of an egypto-maniac. I got lots of books from silly to hard core Egyptology. I am not an Egyptologist by any means but, and forgive my bragging, I know more than the average on the subject.

    I have absolutely no interest in making a Netjer Scion.

    Theoi, Tuatha Dé Danann, Aesir, and Teotl have inspired a lot more character ideas. I wonder if it is simply that I am overly familiar with the Egyptian ‘pantheon’ and the others are more exciting because they are ‘fresh’.

    How about you all? Are you more interested in what is familiar to you or are you looking forward to trying your hand at an old favorite?

  • #2
    I'm gonna quote one of my friends on why he, personally, is emphatically not interested in making use of any "Abrahamic" writeup for Scion:

    "Look, my dad's a pastor, right? I'm pretty familiar with the Angels and Jesus and other White-Bread brand Christian Theology. It's familiar to me. Things like the Deva or the Netjer, they're more interesting to me because they're new, to me."


    Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

    Comment


    • #3
      Interesting point of view... I am “well versed” in Greek/Roman pantheon, like you said, not a mythologist or anything, but I like the stories, read a lot about, know the old traditions for honouring the gods, know the chronological failures and all. I feel quite wyrd to think on gods a different way...
      So, even if I try to play a non Theoi/Aesir character (as I see both are quite human on mythic proportions), the character start to be a Hero on Greek stile. He can use Kimono and Katana, he can say he is the son of Suzanoo, but he will deal with the gods the same way Aquiles did not like a Samurai.

      Comment


      • #4
        The funny thing for me is that the Tuatha De Danann went from "they are there i guess" to "so about half my character ideas seems to be of TDD scions." with the more i learnt and heard about them. XD


        Currently running: Scion 2nd Edition. Les Légendes
        Currently playing: Being a dad for a 1year old daughter and a newborn son.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
          I'm gonna quote one of my friends on why he, personally, is emphatically not interested in making use of any "Abrahamic" writeup for Scion:

          "Look, my dad's a pastor, right? I'm pretty familiar with the Angels and Jesus and other White-Bread brand Christian Theology. It's familiar to me. Things like the Deva or the Netjer, they're more interesting to me because they're new, to me."
          Hm. I get the viewpoint, and where it's coming from, it's just that it seems odd to me in this particular case, given the Abrahamic faiths have very different theological traditions, even though they share some figures.


          Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Maitrecorbo View Post
            The funny thing for me is that the Tuatha De Danann went from "they are there i guess" to "so about half my character ideas seems to be of TDD scions." with the more i learnt and heard about them. XD
            Ya my reaction to them was who the heck are these guys? Then I started to read a bit more about them and I was like where have these bad-asses been my whole life?

            Comment


            • #7
              TDD are fun.They are not the gods we see in other myths, they are wild, evil, or at least “not worth of adoration”. They were feared by the Irish, the rites were to keep them in peace or at least away. The other religions asked for favours and help more them asked for not being bothered, but not them.
              That’s one of the reasons the Christians turned them into fairies easier than they did to other pagans, Norseman continued honouring Thor (Thor’s hammer) for quite a long time after Christianising because they loved the stories and believed he would help, the Irish continued leaving offers in the woods, too, but to keep TDD away.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Snakesandsuns View Post
                Ya my reaction to them was who the heck are these guys? Then I started to read a bit more about them and I was like where have these bad-asses been my whole life?
                The YouTube channel Tale Foundry has an interesting video on why Irish mythology isn't more popular.

                As for the idea of familiarity breeding boredom, I'm most familiar with Greek mythology, but they're still my biggest source of character ideas. It may be because I'm so familiar with them and enjoy seeing new and different takes on various members. (Ares was actually one of the highlights of Dark Avengers for me.) I also have a decades old interest in voodoo, and can find a number of fun Loa ideas because of it. On the other hand, my anime habit keeps making me think of Kami character possibilities, even though I don't know a whole lot about Japanese mythology and folklore.

                With the first edition of the game, I think the biggest issue for me with which pantheons seemed more interesting had to do with which gods were included. The Kami, for example, were kind of sparse in number (and I've found a lot more interesting ones in trying to learn more about Japanese religion). A few of the more interesting Loa got left out also. I suspect there's a number of Aztec, Chinese, Hindu, and other gods who would've made their Pantheons more inspiring if they'd been included.



                What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
                  TDD are fun.They are not the gods we see in other myths, they are wild, evil, or at least “not worth of adoration”. They were feared by the Irish, the rites were to keep them in peace or at least away. The other religions asked for favours and help more them asked for not being bothered, but not them.
                  That’s one of the reasons the Christians turned them into fairies easier than they did to other pagans, Norseman continued honouring Thor (Thor’s hammer) for quite a long time after Christianising because they loved the stories and believed he would help, the Irish continued leaving offers in the woods, too, but to keep TDD away.
                  ... I... I don't think that's right, at all.

                  I mean from what I've heard of the Local Irish Academic on this forum, you're right in that many of them aren't GODS inasmuch, but more likely were Folklore Heroes, some of whom were obscenely powerful. It's a bit of a blurred line.

                  Like... None of the Tuatha de were WORSHIPPED, specifically. They were viewed, I believe, more as quasi-historical figures, previous residents of Ireland until they lost the war against the Sons of Mil.

                  And I'm pretty sure a lot of the Christianization didn't try to turn them all into Fairies as much as it tried to claim many of the TdD were actually SAINTS.

                  I mean I'm no expert, I'm just parroting what I remember one saying.


                  Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I really over simplified it all, and I also know little of TDD. So, you are correct.
                    What I meant was they had no religion for them, they were believed, they received offers, but there was no temples, no priests, and usually 5e offers were to keep them in peace instead of asking for help.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X