Non-Divine Pc's in 2nd Ed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-Divine Pc's in 2nd Ed?

Been away from the forums for a while now but with 2nd Ed coming out soon (I hope at least. Seems like backers got pdfs but I could be wrong) I could have sworn I remembered there being mention way back in early announcements that there were going to be character creation rules for non-divine characters, e.g. vampires, werewolves, satyrs, etc. Is there any rules for this in anything released thus far or does anyone know if that's still going to be the case? I saw the announcement about the dragons supplement so I was holding out hope.

Well you have denizen path (satyrs and so on) as well as things like prophets and saints. The bestiary (i think) is set to expand on those options.

Currently running: Scion 2nd Edition. Les Légendes Currently playing: Being a dad for a 2year old daughter and a newborn son.

Comment

Yeah, you can be a mystical creature with no divine patronage, like a kitsune or a satyr (usually called Denizens). You get a unique Path (mechanic that helps determine asset skills, helps establish social context and background stuff) and often unique Knacks. Going as just a regular Denizen is, depending on the Denizen in question, will probably be a bit weaker than a PC with a divine Patron.

You can also, if you feel spicy, be a Denizen AND a Scion.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I didn't know it was possible to be more pumped for this but its happened

Comment

I think Origin takes place in a non-divine level setting. Of course, without any divine powers, you're pretty much cut off from enjoying most of what the game has to offer.

But on the subject of creating non-human characters, apparently 2nd edition is retconning the lore so that anything with a connection to the divine has the potential to become a Scion. Meaning that you can make a vampire, werewolf, giant, satyr, est. and still be a Scion. You don't have to be a lowly human anymore!
          Last edited by Nyrufa; 02-24-2019, 04:17 AM.

Comment

Could human Wizards and Witches become Denizens? And could Denizens become gods? Although most stories about Isis have her born a goddess, there are stories, told by her priests in ancient times, that she was born human and achieved godhood by cunning. There are several figures in Greek Myth who were born non-Scion humans and became gods. One sea god, Glaucus ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glaucus ) became a sea god by accident. Both Chinese and Indian (Hindu) myths have stories of mortals without divine parentage becoming gods. So it makes sense that there should be a path for mortals to become gods.

Comment

On Hero there are rules to take denizens to Heroic Tier... so I guess they can go all the way to godhood...

About mortal wizards and witches, I think they can enchant themselves to became denizens... or be transformed by the gods...

Comment

Some Denizens can't advance beyond certain tiers without divine backing. Some can. Most Satyrs won't get beyond the Hero tier, while Kitsune can rise up to God tier.

As for mortal magic users, I think they're collectively called Sorcerers. They can vary in their tiers.

I think Neall once said that Baba Yaga, for instance, isn't necessarily a God, but she's definitely God-tier. So she'd probably be a God-tier Sorcerer.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

It might be interesting to have a pantheon where all the gods started as neither scion nor divine.

Comment

Originally posted by Astromancer View Post
                    It might be interesting to have a pantheon where all the gods started as neither scion nor divine.

Their chief can be named Average Joe!

Along with his companions, Dan Everyman and Mary Sue!

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

Watch out for that Goddess, she's tougher than she looks.

But I was thinking more like a group of born human Sorcerors who found their own path to divinity. Or powerful Titanspawn who decided to ditch the Titans and go independent.
                      Last edited by Astromancer; 02-26-2019, 05:46 PM.

Comment

I believe at some level, depending on the sect used, a Pantheon that looks at a Buddhist 'Pantheon' would fit that. Though I know Buddhism gets complex depending on which sect is in question.

Scion 2e Homebrew Projects:
                        The Šiuneš, the Pantheon of the Hittite Empire.
                        The Enduri: the Pantheon of the Manchu Peoples.
                        The Sgā’na Qeda’s: the Pantheon of the Haida First Nation.
                        The Abosom: The Pantheon of the Ashanti.

Comment

Originally posted by Watcher View Post

I believe at some level, depending on the sect used, a Pantheon that looks at a Buddhist 'Pantheon' would fit that. Though I know Buddhism gets complex depending on which sect is in question.
                          Agreed! The Buddhists and the Christians tend to be a large cluster of closely related faiths that can be wildly different.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

But Mary Sue is a scion. She's every God's daughter EVERY GOD.

Comment

Watch out for that Goddess, she's tougher than she looks.

But I was thinking more like a group of born human Sorcerors who found their own path to divinity. Or powerful Titanspawn who decided to ditch the Titans and go independent.
                              ​Strictly speaking, the distinction between a Scion and a Titanspawn is not always super clear. (To say nothing of, say, Titanspawn that are actually the direct creation of a god, like Humbaba.)

Comment

Working...
                              X