X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Second Chances
    • Dec 2014

Elseworlds - DC Scions

So an idea popped into my head? What would the DC universe be like if (almost all) superheroes and villains were Scions? Who would be whose child? How would things change? Would Batman be a Scion or the Saint of "I already thought of that"?

So to go for the low hanging fruit, if Wonder Woman were a Scion, she could be the daughter of Ares (DCAU... maybe), one of the many daughters of Zeus (New 52), or the daughter of Hippolyta (if we promote her to Godhood).

What are some other possibilities?

Chris H | Patreon| He/His | Currently Writing: Daughters of Hera (Scion, Nexus)

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf
  • Astromancer
    • Nov 2013

Aquaman could be a Scion of Poseidon, but Mannanan Mac Lir would be a better choice.

The Joker could be a corrupted Scion of several different deities. Given the recent spate of images that use his pallid complexion and rictus grim as an image of death I might prefer Anubis as the divine parent.

Comment

• Corax
      • Apr 2016

.The Flashes are all Chosen of Hermes.

.Cyborg is Created by Ogun

. Robotman is Created by Osiris. He was ripped into a thousand pieces in a car accident and the god took sympathy on him and remade him into a mechanical body.

. Negative Man is actually fused with a Manitou spirit. When he became the bigendered Rebis during Grant Morrison's psychedelic run, that was them reconciling their contrasting mortal and spiritual nature and becoming a new type of god. (Doom Patrol is weird)

Shakespeare in The Sandman is Chosen of Morpheus.

(Spoilers for The Sandman) The first Dream dying and being reborn as Daniel is a pretty explicit example of a god dying and his Mantle being passed on to a Incarnate.

Comment

• Mateus Luz
        • Jan 2019

Robotman and Osiris don’t fit. I got your idea, he saw a guy on same situation and helped, but it would be more “osirish” to rise him as undead... I would make him related to a god of knowledge and skills, like Athena or Thot (maybe induced by Osiris).

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
        House Rules - Quantum - House Rules for Trinity Continuum: Aberrant
        House Rules - Psi - House Rules for Trinity Continuum: Æon
        Fists and Tomes - Inspired Martial Arts and Mysticism for Talents

Comment

• Corax
          • Apr 2016

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
          Robotman and Osiris don’t fit. I got your idea, he saw a guy on same situation and helped, but it would be more “osirish” to rise him as undead... I would make him related to a god of knowledge and skills, like Athena or Thot (maybe induced by Osiris).
          Perhaps Thoth or another God of Forge/Wisdom might be a better fit?

I'm also trying to think of what Doom Patrol's nemesis Mr. Nobody would be. He's definitely a Trickster but I don't know who his parent should be, hell maybe he's actually the Titanspawn of a Chaos Titan like Ma'at?

His portrayal in the new DCU series as a fractured, jigsaw puzzle of a man plus his origin as a Nazi experiment makes me think he was the product of a Titantic cult.

Comment

• Astromancer
            • Nov 2013

Hawkman is clearly a scion of Horus. Hawkgirl could be a scion of Sekmet. Yes, I know the ancient Egyptians had no problems with incest, yes Hawkgirl is logically a scion of Horus too. I do have issues with incest, Hawkgirl is a scion of Sekmet.

Comment

• FallenEco
              • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Astromancer View Post
              Hawkman is clearly a scion of Horus. Hawkgirl could be a scion of Sekmet. Yes, I know the ancient Egyptians had no problems with incest, yes Hawkgirl is logically a scion of Horus too. I do have issues with incest, Hawkgirl is a scion of Sekmet.
              They are also (re)Incarnates (and were likely originally Chosen).

In other news the House of El has been descended from Rao himself, so maybe Superman and family are descended from some homebrew Primordial?

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

• Astromancer
                • Nov 2013

Originally posted by FallenEco View Post

They are also (re)Incarnates (and were likely originally Chosen).

In other news the House of El has been descended from Rao himself, so maybe Superman and family are descended from some homebrew Primordial?

Superman and his cousin are clearly scions. Grant Morrison says they're sun gods.

Comment

• Nyrufa
                  • Nov 2013

The so called "New Gods" would actually be Titans, if Darkseid's True Form is anything to go by.

Originally posted by Corax View Post
                  (Spoilers for The Sandman) The first Dream dying and being reborn as Daniel is a pretty explicit example of a god dying and his Mantle being passed on to a Incarnate.
                  The Endless would also be examples of Titans, since they are the physical avatars of universal constants, rather than beings who govern over them.
                  Last edited by Nyrufa; 02-21-2019, 06:20 PM.

Comment

• Dragonchild
                    • Oct 2017

I like this, I was trying to think of what the lanterns might be, but I just can't figure that one out, other than they're all obviously chosen.

My first thought on firestorm is he makes sense as a scion of Khepri since many in modern times associate Khepri with alchemy, though I'm not sure that's accurate to ancient Egyptian myth.

Comment

• No One of Consequence
                      • Jan 2017

Wonder Woman, Batman, and Superman would eventually become the gods of Truth, Justice, and Hope, respectively.

Given that Superman was essentially conceived as the Jewish Messiah and is so closely tied to the sun, I'd suggest someone like Aten of the Netjer or Mithra of the Yazata. However, someone like Svarozhich of the Russian Bogovi, Amaterasu of the Kami, or Surya of the Deva would make an interesting alternate version.

As amusing as it would be to have Batman as a scion of Khonsu, an interesting pick would be the Goddess Styx, making him the brother of Victory, Zeal, Strength, and Force. There's also goddesses like Nemesis and Adrestia. Or he could be the chosen of the Furies. Vidarr of the Aesir might also be interesting.

I prefer a modified version of Wonder Woman's post-Crisis origin, with her being crafted out of clay and given blessings by the various Greek goddesses (and none of the gods). The strength of the earth from Rhea and Demeter, speed from Iris, wisdom and skill from Athena, knowledge from the Muses, beauty and grace from Aphrodite and the Graces, kinship with the beasts of the earth from Artemis, a warm and caring heart from Hestia, empathy and mercy from Persephone, the will to win from Nike, and the power of womankind from Hera.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                      Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

• Nyrufa
                        • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Dragonchild View Post
                        I like this, I was trying to think of what the lanterns might be, but I just can't figure that one out, other than they're all obviously chosen.

They'd be more akin to some kind of cult, and one tasked with enforcing order and stability throughout the the universe. Lanterns don't really have any powers of their own, they just carry around a mass produced Relic. Plus, the Book of Oa could be interpreted as some kind of holy text.

The Guardians are the ones who might have some connection to the divine, however.

No One of Consequence As for Batman, let's keep in mind that he's actually very afraid of bats. In order to master fear, he took on the mantle of something that he himself was afraid of. I'm not familiar with many legends or myths relating to stories like that, though.
                        Last edited by Nyrufa; 02-21-2019, 11:07 PM.

Comment

• Dragonchild
                          • Oct 2017

Batman is meant to be a badass normal, really. I think he probably shouldn't be a scion. It's Mary Suish I guess, but then Batman's kind of a Mary Sue, though arguably one of the few well done ones.

But... he's also extremely multitalented, he's got all the money, he's called the world's greatest detective, he mastered all the major martial arts and used them to make one unique to him (according to a huge batman fanboy I know, at least.) He also knows a thing or two about just about everything he pays people to do. Which is pretty much everything. He could be a Scion of Lugh.

Comment

• Astromancer
                            • Nov 2013

Lugh makes the most sense for Batmans Divine parent. Dragonchild has an insight here. However, the other members of the Bat family are different. Robin, Batgirl, Batwoman, Alfred, are all somebody's kids.
                            Last edited by Astromancer; 02-24-2019, 06:39 PM.

Comment

• Nyrufa
                              • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Dragonchild View Post
                              Batman is meant to be a badass normal, really. I think he probably shouldn't be a scion. It's Mary Suish I guess, but then Batman's kind of a Mary Sue, though arguably one of the few well done ones.

But... he's also extremely multitalented, he's got all the money, he's called the world's greatest detective, he mastered all the major martial arts and used them to make one unique to him (according to a huge batman fanboy I know, at least.) He also knows a thing or two about just about everything he pays people to do. Which is pretty much everything. He could be a Scion of Lugh.

He could be a Legendary mortal?

Alternatively, what about a chosen of Athena?
                              Last edited by Nyrufa; 02-22-2019, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Working...