The Sgā’na Qeda’s - The Pantheon of the Haida First Nation 2e Homebrew

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sgā’na Qeda’s - The Pantheon of the Haida First Nation 2e Homebrew

A wind blows in from the sea, carrying the sound of the paddles that guide a cedar canoe along the shore. The sand is damp beneath your feet, the sound of the waves mixes with the rumble of an engine as a car passes along the road behind you. Stretching out in all three directions around you is the Supernatural. Above your head, far beyond the clouds they reside. Before you, deep beneath the sea they live. Behind you, deep within the forest they survive.

They never left, though by Law and Crown an eradication, a scourge, a genocide was carried out against their people. But they were never forgotten. After nearly three centuries of conflict, plague, the theft of children, and attempts to purge their way of life, both they and their mortals remain. They survived what so many others did not: the coming of an Empire.

But... the last of the Mythtellers is dead. So much destruction and loss. And so, as Pantheons stir, as foreign Titans test their bindings and Xhuuya’s hunger grows, the Sgā’na Qeda’s seek out mortals in greater numbers. Friendships, love, and admiration grow. Respect and reciprocal exchange between the Mortal and Divine surge.

And for the first time since Xhuuya traveled, NAñkî’lsLas looks up from his fire and begins to tell a new story.

Scion of the Supernatural Beings of the Haida First Nation, you bridge the communities of the mortals and the divine. Rise, watch over your people and help them find the future that they desire, whatever that may be. Forge friendships and relationships wherever you go. Bring gifts, and collect gifts to bring home. And always watch for Xhuuya; remember to be careful.

He takes too much, and he gives too little.

Hello everyone, I hope people are still enjoying playing the Backers version of Scion 2e and is excited for the upcoming publication of the books!

We have another Pantheon to go along with the Enduri and Šiuneš from last year: the Sgā’na Qeda’s, the Supernatural Beings of the Haida First Nation. They are a great addition to your Scion games, bringing a familiar face to many mythology fans with the addition of Xhuuya (often called 'Raven' in English), as well as adding a second Pantheon to North America. They have a particularly unique relationship with their mortals in terms of how worship works, drawing on a social concept of reciprocal exchange which is mirrored in the relationship between the supernatural and the mundane.

We have provided a retelling of the story Raven Travelling, the Creation Myth as told by the last of the Haida mythtellers, as well as a discussion about various important cultural details. We discuss why 'totem poles' are not totems and have nothing to do with totemism, the history of the Haida people, the genocide that was inflicted upon them, as well as in-depth descriptions of one of the various forms of the potlach ceremony, among other topics. In addition to these cultural details, you can find everything you need to include them in your game: Major Deities, Minor Deities, Titans, Primordials, the Underworld(s), the Overworld(s), Birthright Ideas, and a Hero-Tier Pantheon Specific Purview based on the two different forms of relationships mortals form with the supernatural.

If you enjoy the stories of Trickster deities, Xhuuya provides a new, tremendously powerful figure to include in your repertoire of characters. A larger than life, borderline omnipotent character capable of narrating reality at points who through personal greed, cruelty, and hunger unwittingly was the agent of an elder Primordial in his creation of the world.

If you like First Nations material, this will of course be something you will enjoy! The Haida are internationally renowned for their artwork, and though at many points modern Western cultures misunderstand Haida cultural traditions, this document can help provide information as well as suggestions for further reading.

If you like incredibly complex cosmological systems, the Sgā’na Qeda’s can provide you with more than five Underworlds, a reincarnation system, and three entire Overworlds that are fundamentally distinct from each other.

If you have any questions about the Supernatural Beings of the Haida First Nation, how to use them in your games, or want to share your thoughts and opinions, we are happy to listen and help where we can!

Up Next: The sound of a storyteller whispering and of a mortar beating fufu, as well as the smell of a bounty of cassava, plantain, and groundnut cooking in the fire.
    Last edited by Watcher; 06-12-2019, 06:06 PM.

Scion 2e Homebrew Projects:
    The Šiuneš, the Pantheon of the Hittite Empire, The Enduri: the Pantheon of the Manchu Peoples, The Sgā’na Qeda’s: the Pantheon of the Haida First Nation, The Abosom: The Pantheon of the Ashanti, Lebor Óe In Dea: an Expansion for the Túatha Dé Danann.

Love those guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Watcher View Post
      Up Next: The sound of a storyteller whispering and of a mortar beating fufu, as well as the smell of a bounty of cassava, plantain, and groundnut cooking in the fire.
      Anan-si
      Anan-si
      Sees whatever Anan-can-see!
      Hides dwarf bodies in a tree
      Brings the world all stories!
      Look ouuuuut, Look out it's Anansi!!!!!!

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

I had forgotten how mind boggling cool killers whales were
        Last edited by Nicolas Milioni; 03-19-2019, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Does Xhuuya has any relationship with Tulungersak or are they more like Thor and Zeus in the sense both look alike but are pretty different otherwise?

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
            Does Xhuuya has any relationship with Tulungersak or are they more like Thor and Zeus in the sense both look alike but are pretty different otherwise?
            Not the writer obviously, but were I to guess, I’d assume that other people don’t know for sure, and they aren’t (or he isn’t) saying - like the various Coyotes.
            Last edited by glamourweaver; 03-19-2019, 08:00 PM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
              Yeah, yourself and Glamourweaver is on the nose there. While they are both Raven Deities of First Nations peoples, they're pretty different. Xhuuya is... not... a good person. Xhuuya is so bad that the Haida do not consider him worthy of worship, strip him of his names (important in their culture), and agree that the reason you shouldn't worship him is that he is fundamentally too selfish to give you anything worth your while in exchange.

The Pantheon as a whole has a fairly good relationship with humanity, but Xhuuya is just... not a good person. He would honestly be a Titan if it weren't for the fact he is so involved with the world, is so involved with humanity, and issn't monoconceptual. Most other Pantheons probably read him as a Titan though.

Comparatively, while Tulungersak has at times been not a great guy, Xhuuya actively is a counter-cultural figure. He constantly does things that are gross social violations, and in this instance it isn't a case of 'the gods are exceptions to the rules' as the Haida themselves agree that Xhuuya is flat out a terrible, terrible person.

So yeah, very much of a Thor and Zeus situation, but with even larger differences. Their only real similarity is that they are both Raven figures and Tulungersak is a bit of a trickster sometimes.

Scion 2e Homebrew Projects:
              The Šiuneš, the Pantheon of the Hittite Empire, The Enduri: the Pantheon of the Manchu Peoples, The Sgā’na Qeda’s: the Pantheon of the Haida First Nation, The Abosom: The Pantheon of the Ashanti, Lebor Óe In Dea: an Expansion for the Túatha Dé Danann.

Comment

This is pretty neat. I especially like Property Woman. I'll have to add her to my list of interesting wealth deities.

Also, "She of the Powerful Face" is just such a cool title. It makes me think of those anime characters who are able to do the Death Glare thing.
                Last edited by No One of Consequence; 03-19-2019, 10:30 PM.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Hell yes! I've been waiting for this for a long time, and it does not disappoint in its thoroughness. I'll provide more specific commentary as I go through it, but this is awesome!

Comment

Working...
                  X