X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aristarkos
    started a topic Aztec mythology and the end of the world

Aztec mythology and the end of the world

I'm sure this is 100% explained in the book but I don't have it yet. My question is: if all myths are true the the world should not conceivably exist at this point because the crash of the Aztecs and cessation of human sacrifices means that their gods cannot keep up the order of the universe. Is there an ingame answer to this?

• Kyman201
    replied
    Originally posted by Aristarkos View Post

I know that the Spanish and Mexica accounts are way too inflated (for propaganda purposes) but on the other hand I haven't really found any indication of how many sacrifices are actually required to power the gods. I would think that a modern day Mexican Empire that can afford to fuel their gods thousands each year will do so because they have the numbers and logistics necessary. But, as you say, it should be up to the Storyteller.
    The Teotl writeup briefly touches on the whole thing of sacrifice, floating the idea that some Gods have learned to accept some more metaphorical ones. Like, a broken heart instead of one carved out of a victim. It also mentions the possibility of turf wars where the losers are never seen again. I also seem to vaguely recall a mention that many of the sacrifices are to be willing... For certain definitions of 'willing', I suppose. Like "Hey understand that if you go into this battle, you either win, or you die" (which isn't untrue of some battles, granted)

Plus, a Storyguide can look at avenues. Such as the sacrifices being a form of assisted suicide. "I'd rather not have my brain degenerate from this condition we have no cure for, so at least if my heart's offered to the Fifth Sun then the sun will rise tomorrow."
    Last edited by Kyman201; 03-25-2019, 03:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    The myth as we learned could be the true that was believed, not the real true.
    The part of the world being destroyed could be a propaganda the gods made to convince everyone in the empire to sacrifice in their name.
    The gods take power from the sacrifice, so it would be interesting to them that the people do it by themselves, with no need of a big explanation: “If you don’t, the world will be DESTROIED!”
    Once there was not enough sacrifices, the gods said the the priests: “ok, no biggy, just keep sending the ones you can and we will be ok, but we will be distant preventing the destruction of the world.”

Leave a comment:

• Aristarkos
    replied
    Originally posted by Watcher View Post

It depends a lot on the individual Storyteller, the books never give a specific layout of the world as saying anything definitive gets tricky when multiple Pantheons claim the exact same bit of soil. But, no matter the geopolotics of central america in Scion, there are still sacrifices being offered to the Teotl. Those numbers are slightly off however. Sacerdos is doing his degree on contact-era Mesoamerica so he could weigh in more, but their sacrifice system was nowhere near that scale. Even if modernized it probably wouldn't be. Modernly chicken blood is used in the surviving cult presences for instance in real life.

I know that the Spanish and Mexica accounts are way too inflated (for propaganda purposes) but on the other hand I haven't really found any indication of how many sacrifices are actually required to power the gods. I would think that a modern day Mexican Empire that can afford to fuel their gods thousands each year will do so because they have the numbers and logistics necessary. But, as you say, it should be up to the Storyteller.

Leave a comment:

• Watcher
    replied
    So a game of Scion can actually have a modern day Aztec empire with industrialised sacrifice of thousands of humans of varying ages? This game got more intriguing to me now for some reason.
    It depends a lot on the individual Storyteller, the books never give a specific layout of the world as saying anything definitive gets tricky when multiple Pantheons claim the exact same bit of soil. But, no matter the geopolotics of central america in Scion, there are still sacrifices being offered to the Teotl. Those numbers are slightly off however. Sacerdos is doing his degree on contact-era Mesoamerica so he could weigh in more, but their sacrifice system was nowhere near that scale. Even if modernized it probably wouldn't be. Modernly chicken blood is used in the surviving cult presences for instance in real life.

Leave a comment:

• Aristarkos
    replied
    Originally posted by Watcher View Post

Scion Second Edition presents a world where the various cultures of the Pantheons never crashed and their worship has continued into the modern day, so in the setting of Scion, Tenochtitlan might not have fallen, and even if it did, the worship of the Teotl never stopped. The Fifth Sun endures as it always has, through the effort of the divine and mortal alike through sacrifice and sharing the burden. So, the answer is that the world still exists because the Mexica (Aztecs) never crashed and the human sacrifices never stopped.

For games that do not use the setting offered by Scion Second Edition and go with a more standard modern day setting, I think the Fifth Sun could still be trucking, though running on fumes. Sacerdos would know more, but I believe there is some degree of cult presence that has survived to the modern day. You just need to know where to look for it.
    So a game of Scion can actually have a modern day Aztec empire with industrialised sacrifice of thousands of humans of varying ages? This game got more intriguing to me now for some reason.

Leave a comment:

• Watcher
    replied
    I'm sure this is 100% explained in the book but I don't have it yet. My question is: if all myths are true the the world should not conceivably exist at this point because the crash of the Aztecs and cessation of human sacrifices means that their gods cannot keep up the order of the universe. Is there an ingame answer to this?
    Scion Second Edition presents a world where the various cultures of the Pantheons never crashed and their worship has continued into the modern day, so in the setting of Scion, Tenochtitlan might not have fallen, and even if it did, the worship of the Teotl never stopped. The Fifth Sun endures as it always has, through the effort of the divine and mortal alike through sacrifice and sharing the burden. So, the answer is that the world still exists because the Mexica (Aztecs) never crashed and the human sacrifices never stopped.

For games that do not use the setting offered by Scion Second Edition and go with a more standard modern day setting, I think the Fifth Sun could still be trucking, though running on fumes. Sacerdos would know more, but I believe there is some degree of cult presence that has survived to the modern day. You just need to know where to look for it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X