The Nommo- The Dogon Pantheon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Nommo- The Dogon Pantheon

The Nommo of the Dogon people, from what relatively little I know about them, struck me as an interesting potential pantheon. They're set up somewhat similarly to the Manitou, with a group of divine siblings seeming to form the core of the pantheon with a lot of animal gods forming the rest. Their trickster, Ogo aka Pale Fox, is a strong contender for the most horrible trickster god I've come across. Unfortunately, however, there is a conspiracy theory which appropriates the Nommo, describing them as an alien race. Sadly, most of the references to the Nommo I've seen online are in discussion of that bullshit. Does anyone know anything more solid about the Nommo, or have any sources for them?

Originally posted by Wannabe Demon Lord View Post
    The Nommo of the Dogon people, from what relatively little I know about them, struck me as an interesting potential pantheon. They're set up somewhat similarly to the Manitou, with a group of divine siblings seeming to form the core of the pantheon with a lot of animal gods forming the rest. Their trickster, Ogo aka Pale Fox, is a strong contender for the most horrible trickster god I've come across. Unfortunately, however, there is a conspiracy theory which appropriates the Nommo, describing them as an alien race. Sadly, most of the references to the Nommo I've seen online are in discussion of that bullshit. Does anyone know anything more solid about the Nommo, or have any sources for them?
    Yes Basically the entire corpus of Dogon lore was revealed to the French anthropologist Marcel Griaule by a traditional Dogon sage, and Griaule's works have been translated into a number of other languages. The big one is Conversations with OgotemmĂȘli, and there's also a study of the creation myth named The Pale Fox. The authenticity of the information collected by Griaule has been debated ever since (see, for example, the article "Dogon Restudied" by Walter van Beekman), but I'd say his works are still the best starting point for you

Comment

Thanks! I'll definitely look into that!

Comment

Working...
      X