Ideas of Chosen Scions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas of Chosen Scions

Games 2E gives us broadening of Types of Scions. Born are most popular and easiest to understand. Created are more or less mythical in the straightest sense. And Incarnate are most enigmatic.

Chosen Scions, on the other hand, looks as rather plain – but do we really got idea who can they be, really? This topic is to give us all concepts who Chosen can be.

I will edit opening list with coming ideas. You can also point your own Examples, I will add them to list.

Chosen Scions ideas:
    • Artist – You are creator that God is inspiring in it’s dreams. Examples: Rock star under guidance of Apollo.
    • Disciple – You are studying one of Incarnation’s Callings under the God. Examples: Con-man learning how to cheat from the Loki itself.
    • Lover – You are, conscious or not, romantic lover of one of Incarnation of the God, giving you powers. Examples: Paramour of Aphrodite.
    • Priest – You dedicated your life to worship and myth of you God. You lead the rituals and masses to it’s name. Examples: Shinto priest of Amaterasu.
    • Warrior – You fight for your God, conscious of it or not. You can be real world berserker in older times – or bodyguard looking over VIP in nowadays. Examples: Mercenary under sacred contract with Odin.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 05-12-2019, 12:57 AM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

You're thinking far too small. The potential backgrounds for a Chosen Scion are limited only by one's own imagination. Hell, from collected myths around the world, CHOSEN would actually be the most mythically common Genesis.

Imagine, if you will...
    • A child in Ireland, given into the care of Ogma under the old Fostering system, taught in the laws of the Tuatha and in their forms of combat. Now the Chosen wanders on his own, serving as Judge and Jury in the World.
    • A revolutionary fighting against the corrupt government system in parts of India, and during a demonstration she sees the skull necklace and arm-girdle of Kali encouraging her to violently overthrow this bullshit.
    • A child, not born of any God, but raised to be a fighter from the time they could hold a sword. Trained in what they learned was a Terra Incognita, she learned to master every melee weapon possible, and was taught how to fight countless monsters of myth. The whole time she was told "One day, you'll be a Hero who saves people". Until that day arrived, when Athena blessed them.
    • We have a troubled youth here, one who grew up on the streets of the city, running with gangs and committing petty crimes. However, as he grew older, he realized he was on the path to self destruction, and did his level best to turn his life around, AND to help improve his community. At the opening of the Youth Center he managed to help build, he's greeted by a jolly man at the snack bar loading up on sweets, who reveals himself to be Ganesha, who had set this child up with all kinds of difficulties in his life but by gum this kid overcame them.
    To say nothing of what kind of options you have if you decide to play a Denizen.
    • A Jotnar who's decided 'Nuts to this Ragnarok bullshit' and is trying to improve his own temperamental nature through the teachings of the Buddha.
    • A kitsune who, being a shithead like most kitsune are, gets dragged in front of Inari and told "Go out and do good deeds or else you're gonna get trapped inside a rock for a century and a day"
    • A Satyr who, during a wild party, realizes that the guy on the dance floor encouraging him to keep doing shots was Dionysus, who's gonna teach this goatman how to REALLY party.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Alternatively, the Satyr realizes the dude with amazing breakdancing technique is actually Shiva and the Lord of the Dance has just chosen his newest pupil.

Black Lives Matter

He/His Pronouns | CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

Comment

An idea i've been playing with recently was the temporarily chosen. Like you pray to Tenjin in preparation to a difficult exam and since you have always shown good Virtue he decides to make you a chosen for the time of the exam. So you get the Sage Calling and one useful knack, you perform beyond expectations at the exam and then the calling (and knacks) are gone. Same thing with becoming chosen by Nike for a match or some sport or other. But at the end of the match your back to being just a mortal.
        I'd even guess that these temporarily chosen are more frequent than people would expect.

Completed campaign: Scion 2nd Edition. Les Légendes Currently playing: Being a dad for a 3 year old daughter and a 1 year old son.

Comment

Quick question. A chosen-to-be-but-not-yet get a calling as a regular Scion-to-be?

My idea of a chosen:

One kid survived a bombing on his home town (some war in the 80s or 90s, Balkans would be my pick), lost all the family and was raised in foster houses, joying the military (as the only option to find a job when became 18). Years pass and he grow into the position, turning into a UN Blue Beret. On his first mission he saves a family from a bombing just to be pirced in the lungs during the explosion. A god of war/family/fate sit by his side while he cough blood and says “I had my eyes on you, but the destiny is hard to bend... I guess I will have to save you with my own hands”. The blood stops, the fragment on his falls into his hand, and he is a Hero now.

The proper answer to “Hello There” is, obviously, “General Kenobi”.
          Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
          Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Combine Roman deification of emperors with ancestor veneration.

A direct descendant of Julius Caesar is Chosen by the deified emperor. He becomes his/her Guide and grooms him/her to become the next great conqueror.

One meaningful Relic? Caesar's famous red cloak. The very one he wore on his campaign against Gaul.

Fun variation? "Conqueror" doesn't have to mean "military conqueror." The Chosen could be a businessperson who seeks to "conquer" at business. Politics, intrigue, it's got it all!

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
            Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
              Quick question. A chosen-to-be-but-not-yet get a calling as a regular Scion-to-be?
              Yep, just like all Pre-Visitation Scions. Sometimes Chosen Scions have their future Patron guiding and leading the life of their future Scion along behind the scenes. "All this time, I've been teaching you in secret, now I can reveal my true self" and all.

Or, if you want to play up the randomness of the Choosing, think of it as the Calling as being The Special Thing that attracted the attention of their Patron in the first place.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Maitrecorbo View Post
                An idea i've been playing with recently was the temporarily chosen. Like you pray to Tenjin in preparation to a difficult exam and since you have always shown good Virtue he decides to make you a chosen for the time of the exam. So you get the Sage Calling and one useful knack, you perform beyond expectations at the exam and then the calling (and knacks) are gone. Same thing with becoming chosen by Nike for a match or some sport or other. But at the end of the match your back to being just a mortal.
                I'd even guess that these temporarily chosen are more frequent than people would expect.
                I believe virtually everyone already suffered something like that. But, that idea reminds me of a part of Akira Kurosawa's biography. He says that when he was just a child, he sucked at sports. All of them. But then, he needed to achieve some jump distance to get approved in ihs school year, and he was sure he was not gonna make it. He then reports that when he jumped, he felt like invisible hands/wings supported him across the field and he almost flew (no idea what kind of God would make that. I mean, maybe an Art God, wishing this boy didn't get stuck in school to become the awesome director he was). He got the needed distance for get approved, but never understood what made him "fly" like that.

My contribuiton to the post:
                • Warrior/Creator: A God of War/Engineering/Techonolgy appears to a mortal and chooses him/her to project and build the most powerfull version of a weapon. Nothing like a nuke, more modest things. Like a firearm or even a meele wepon like a sword. The mortal then suffers a lot to get the project done, and learns how to wield the weapon and surprises himself as he is becoming really good at it. Plot twist: What he made is not the most powerfull [INSERT TYPE OF THE WEAPON HERE]. He is the legendary weapon.
                • Healer: This guy is just a good and really nice guy. He helps the poor, he serves soup at cold nights to the homeless, he donates to charity. He is volunteer and protest on the streets for saving the whales. Basically, he is a social activist. He then realizes that what he is doing is not enough. It's almost useless actually. By some mere random chance he meets one notorious corrupt politian by himself at a dark street. He then decides that the world is better with less an evil person... He is healing society. Killing the cancerous cells of it.

Comment

Hmm ... Neil Armstrong, Chosen of Mercury for being the first man on the moon?

I could easily see someone like Hera or Hestia adopting someone because she finds the character's attitude and behavior appropriate. Also the way the Percy Jackson novels handled Artemis's huntresses.

Also, given Apollo's romantic history, I could totally see him Choosing someone entirely because they were hot. Quite honestly, "Apollo's Ex-Boyfriend" sounds like a potentially fun character.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                  Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

I suppose one could be the unwitting Pawn of a deity, being manipulated to advance an agenda the character only partially agrees with. Say, a political demagogue whose main issue is tangentially tied to one of the deity's purviews. An environmental crusader favored by Poseidon, or a militant feminist favored by Hera, perhaps.
                    Last edited by No One of Consequence; 04-28-2019, 11:08 AM.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Can Shadow Moon from American Gods been Scion of other god than Odin? Interesting story/theory how can Chosen Scion be created. Or maybe he is Incarnated?

Last edited by wyrdhamster; 05-12-2019, 03:12 AM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
                      LGBT+ through Ages
                      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                        Can Shadow Moon from American Gods been Scion of other god than Odin? Interesting story/theory how can Chosen Scion be created. Or maybe he is Incarnated?

Shadow is 100% an incarnation Scion of Baldr.

"Oh boys! Look what I got here!"
                        "Hey, where the Dynast women at?"

Comment

I'm not sure which mythology it lines up with, but isn't a Chosen Scion basically what King Arthur is?

"Oh boys! Look what I got here!"
                          "Hey, where the Dynast women at?"

Comment

Originally posted by dreamking89 View Post
                            I'm not sure which mythology it lines up with, but isn't a Chosen Scion basically what King Arthur is?
                            I can only assume we'll find out if/when we get that Arthurian Supplement. May also touch on the Welsh Pantheon? IDK, I've only heard rumors and hearsay about it.

Comment

Working...
                            X