Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Systematic Questions, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GODS HELP!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm inclined to agree. In my experience, at least, Scion is best run with a light hand. Obviously there's a metaplot, but they choose their own deeds. Usually after the game has started and the band is interested in something. I'm running a plot set in London where the band is caught between ex-pat Irish fae who want to go home and the Irish fae who fled to London and went native and want the rest to 'get with the times'. There's a cold war happening and things are coming toward open hostility.

And in the middle of that I threw in a side-arc of an attack from someone they believe is a returned Atlantean bent on destroying London (it wasn't at the time but it is now, because that was a whole lot better than what I had planned) but now their Band Deed is finding out what happened to Atlantis and preventing it from rising. They have personal goals as relates to London and the faerie cold war but the band as a whole chose to make "the Atlantis situation" the focus of their pooled talents.

Comment

There is also nothing stopping you as a SG to choose the band deed and set it as the culmination of your planned arc.
      Another thing you can do with deeds is have the short term decided at the end of the session and the long term deed chosen at the end of the arc.
      Since its a new system and my players are more used to DnD thats what we decided to do as they were never sure on what to choose for deeds.
      Its working quite well for us.
      In the end it depends on the prefered style of the SG and the players.

Currently running: Scion 2nd Edition. Les Légendes
      Currently playing: Being a dad for a 1year old daughter and a newborn son.

Comment

The point of Band Deeds is that it’s the one point that makes all the characters to level their Legend (at least it’s the one that bring all of them together), so, if you put it too far, they will not rise their legend. Not bad if you want to keep the Hero stage for longer, but in the end there are too many things locked in the legend.

Your Hero stage campaign must be 4 Deeds long ending with the ascension to Demigods. So, the band deed MUST be set by the SG or at least with a participation of the SG, otherwise the team can end up too high or too low powered by the end of the campaign, for example raising to Legend 2 when should be 3 or 4, or rising to 5 before finishing the hero campaign.

Comment

Advice from my 5 years of running Chronicles of Darkness 2E, where is Aspirations mechanics, very similar to Scion Deeds - simply let players to choose Deeds. Start session 1 with empty Deeds list - or let them choose personal Long Term Deed at character creation, to mark the idea for each player of their own storyline. At the game table, player can declare once per session one goal as Deed on each level ( Short, Long and Band ) for his character - simple as that. If band will have direct idea what would they want to get as Band Deed ( i.e. what they think is whole plot runned now ) they can pause game and talk with SG on that. SG may have veto vote on this as he knows what is real plot - and you do not want PCs to dwell for Band Deed to stop rising their Legend, don't you. If players missed the mark for Band Deed, simply say as SG 'no, I think you need to choose better Deed for this story'. After all this on session 1, you simply repeat this after end of each game session, having clearer idea where chronicle is heading on.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
          LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Honestly band deeds are pretty easy to set up as a sg and for players to choose. What ive been a harder time helping with was designing long term deed.
            One player had "scale the Empire State building". But that wouldnt take very long as he has the Epic Dex purview and just with the innate its something he could do without much effort one afternoon.
            On the other hand i have a player who chose " Free Fenrir from his chain" as a long term deed. But this is on the scale of the culmination of a whole chronicle. More like the achievement that brings you from Hero to Demigod than a long-term deed. For him ive helped increment his long term deed in 4 steps (one for each arc) that will bring him closer to his end goal.
            Last edited by Maitrecorbo; 05-12-2019, 02:02 PM.

Currently running: Scion 2nd Edition. Les Légendes
            Currently playing: Being a dad for a 1year old daughter and a newborn son.

Comment

As Storypath often use TV as metaphor for it's mechanics - Short Term Deeds are 'special scene of character per episode', Long Term are 'season's character arcs' - and Band Deeds are 'protagonists season main goal'. 😎

My player got idea of 'Getting Valkyrie's Horse' as Long Term - I simply told him it be better as second Short Deed for him. Because getting horse is one, maybe two scenes affair - nothing more. Long Terms are things like 'Restoring the good name for my family' or 'Amending for the sins of the youth'.
              Last edited by wyrdhamster; 05-13-2019, 03:10 PM.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
              LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

So, the Blind Condition - as referenced in the Blinding Veil Darkness Boon and the Impose Condition section of Marvels (Hero p.238). It seems a little light to have only +1 Difficulty on actions when a primary sense is removed. The Blinding ranged stunts also impose +1 Difficulty on the victim's next ranged attack, which sounds fine for a temporary blindness. For more persistent blindness, it's likely that the victim wouldn't be able to make ranged attacks beyond Short at all (or maybe the difficulty increases per range band beyond Short), and certainly wouldn't be able to dodge incoming ranged attacks since they can't even see the attacker pointing a weapon at them. Sure, maybe they can just jink about blindly a lot, which may work, though I'd expect lots of collisions with scenery and other characters (and Momentum gain) in that case. Thoughts?

Comment

No Ranged attacks is a bit too much, as they can try and, if they are luck enough, hit.

I would make attack’s have a 1 Complication on close range, -2 on short (using sounds, to target), -3 on Medium, -4 on Long and beyond that it has basically no implication as you don’t use visual to target.
                  A blind fight style knack would reduce it by 1.

Believe me, having a complication 2 makes any one without the proper abilities fail. It’s basically the same as a bullet proof vest.

Comment

So, I’ll be had to read through the book several times to peace it together. I also am dyslexic AF so take that into account please. Reading and retention are not always my friend.

That said, a few issues that have tripped me up.

1. Refuting to range bands and not giving us exact info on them. However I de believe this is meant to be the range chart but is never called out in page or name.

2. Reading Trinity at about the same time and having the class of different scale levels. Scion is 0-6 where anything under a Anti-tank weapon seems to be scale zero and Trinity 1-7 where anything above a fist is scale 2. I’m guessing it is based on scion being more action hero then sci-fi?

3. Clarification or better benchmarks on scale would have been amazing. I get a lot is up to SG interpretation however without an idea of what a guid it’s a bit nebulous and easy to say one thing and then another later. Should someone with 8 dice in physical combat get a scale bump against someone that only has 4 dice? Also, a bit better explanation of strength would be great on the scale side. Again I’m thinking they are pushing more for the narrative go with the flow, however that can make for some really bad comic book hero stat issues.

4. The callings seem to crush a lot of my character ideas but that is a personal gripe of my own and can be house rules. As well as I’m assuming the notion of so tightly restricting numbers of booms is a design choice to push the characters into wanting to become demigods. Maybe at demigod or god level you can have more then legend - 1 boon.

5. I will agree that it feels like the book could have had a tighter level of flow as it does feel a bit jumbled. However as it is a new system and a massive deal to take one old book, completely redo the system and then break it into two could not have been easy.

All in all I’m still impressed and think it’s a much better game then 1E.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzykuma View Post
                      4. The callings seem to crush a lot of my character ideas but that is a personal gripe of my own and can be house rules. As well as I’m assuming the notion of so tightly restricting numbers of booms is a design choice to push the characters into wanting to become demigods. Maybe at demigod or god level you can have more then legend - 1 boon.
                      In what way are they "crushing" your character ideas?

Genius templates (for Demon: the Descent)

Rakshasa: the Kingdom (Featuring the Extinction Chronicle) [WIP]

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzykuma View Post
                        1. Refuting to range bands and not giving us exact info on them. However I de believe this is meant to be the range chart but is never called out in page or name.
                        Range bands aren't meant to be exact. But there's a breakdown on the rough ranges on page 119 of Origin. Quick version:
                        • Close - Up in your face, within stabbing distance
                        • Short - A bit further out. You'll need to dash for a few seconds before you can get up within stabbing range.
                        • Medium - They're fairly far away. At this point replace your knife with a gun and take your time shooting.
                        • Long - Really far away. To hit someone at this range you need a sniper rifle, or a magical bow
                        • Extreme - Your opponent is a little dot on the horizon. To hit them you need to do some trigonometry.
                        2. Reading Trinity at about the same time and having the class of different scale levels. Scion is 0-6 where anything under a Anti-tank weapon seems to be scale zero and Trinity 1-7 where anything above a fist is scale 2. I’m guessing it is based on scion being more action hero then sci-fi?
                        Definitely that case. Scale in Scion covers a wider range because Scion is Mythic, and you gotta deal with bigger things. When Scale's higher end is "Something the size of a MOUNTAIN", then a tank needs to be at the lower end.

3. Clarification or better benchmarks on scale would have been amazing. I get a lot is up to SG interpretation however without an idea of what a guid it’s a bit nebulous and easy to say one thing and then another later. Should someone with 8 dice in physical combat get a scale bump against someone that only has 4 dice? Also, a bit better explanation of strength would be great on the scale side. Again I’m thinking they are pushing more for the narrative go with the flow, however that can make for some really bad comic book hero stat issues.
                        A difference in dice pools doesn't translate into Scale. They're two different things. If things have the same scale but different dice pools, that's a measure of relative difference on the same playing field. Scale in Scion is used to denote that the two are NOT in the same playing field. A normal human and an olympic sprinter would both be Scale 0, it's just that one throws like MAYBE 3 dice in a 50 yard dash while the other is throwing 8-10.

But if you take an Olympic Sprinter and throw them against, say, a cheetah or a motorcycle, then THAT just isn't fair, is it? The cheetah and the motorcycle are ABSURDLY faster than a human. It's a different playing field. Thus, a cheetah and a motorcycle would have more Scale than the sprinter. Maybe like, 1-2?

Honestly, Callings are a LOT more varied than you may think you are. Remember that at Hero level you get three of them, and those Knacks can be rotated. Like, Creator. It covers monster-makers, maternal and paternal connotations, building things... Lover covers ALL forms of emotional intimacy, romantic, familial, platonic... Technically the most limited one is Warrior and that still offers several different goodies related to ass kicking.

Plus, a lot of realization of a Concept comes not from a singular Calling, but from how the Callings interact. Imagine if you will... A Warrior, Guardian, Lover. Someone who fights to protect ones they care about. I call this the Shonen Protagonist Setup. But let's, for a moment, replace one of the Callings. Now we have Warrior, Guardian, Judge. Well well, isn't THAT an interesting difference? That's more a... Protector of the innocent type and punisher of the guilty.

What if we had Lover/Trickster/Warrior? That's a sneaky deceptive person who plays with the emotions of others and can punch throats if need be.

Creator/Sage/Liminal? An all-knowing Maker whose very understanding of the World may make them seem... OTHERWORLDLY.

As for Boons... Honestly, you don't need a lot of them. It's not 1e, where a quarter of the boons are outright useless and about half of them are just boring so you use your Epic Attribute Knacks instead. And for the Boons you don't nab, you always can whip up something with Marvels.

All in all I’m still impressed and think it’s a much better game then 1E.
                        I don't feel hyperbolic in saying that everything 1e did, 2e does better.
                        Last edited by Kyman201; 05-14-2019, 05:35 AM.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

The point in scale is simple, in Scion, at least, you are Scale 0, no matter what, unless you have some characteristic that says the opposite.

For the SG scale is about giving advantage if it’s looking like it’s not fair competition, like competing with a horse, a cheeta, and a jet, each one is a different scale, because a regular horse has no chance against a cheeta, and a cheeta has no chance against a jet.

Their chance is luck and an overwhelming training (like being the fastest man in the world), Bolt rolls 10 dice, get probably 3 or 4 successes, a regular horse throw 5, gets 2 successes and gains 2 enhancement.

In Trinity the values are 1 instead of 0, not sure why, and most of the equipment have a set scale, like a Anti-vehicle weapon have the Heavy weapon tag, raising the scale by one, and vehicles have speed and size scale described, as well as the size of any weapon they have.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
                            In Trinity the values are 1 instead of 0, not sure why, and most of the equipment have a set scale, like a Anti-vehicle weapon have the Heavy weapon tag, raising the scale by one, and vehicles have speed and size scale described, as well as the size of any weapon they have.
                            I seem to recall Aeon having Scale 0 to denote Small Sci Fi Critters. You know, Skittering Bugs, mascot aliens, maybe particularly angry chihuahuas...

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
                              I seem to recall Aeon having Scale 0 to denote Small Sci Fi Critters. You know, Skittering Bugs, mascot aliens, maybe particularly angry chihuahuas...
                              They could be scale negative, as it's going to be. I think Ian said something about it's going to be in Aberrant, as Novas can Shrink and Grow.

Comment

Ok time for a new question!

Antagonist Health Chart: Need Help!

Origin says Antagonists do not have Injury Conditions, except that the entirety of the damage system is about describing how injury conditions work on a character. What am I missing? So trolls can't be hamstrung, concussed or have eyes poked out? My love of this game is again dwarfed by the hate of this book.

Comment

Working...
                                X