Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Systematic Questions, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GODS HELP!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maitrecorbo
    replied
    Honestly band deeds are pretty easy to set up as a sg and for players to choose. What ive been a harder time helping with was designing long term deed.
    One player had "scale the Empire State building". But that wouldnt take very long as he has the Epic Dex purview and just with the innate its something he could do without much effort one afternoon.
    On the other hand i have a player who chose " Free Fenrir from his chain" as a long term deed. But this is on the scale of the culmination of a whole chronicle. More like the achievement that brings you from Hero to Demigod than a long-term deed. For him ive helped increment his long term deed in 4 steps (one for each arc) that will bring him closer to his end goal.
    Last edited by Maitrecorbo; 05-12-2019, 02:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    Advice from my 5 years of running Chronicles of Darkness 2E, where is Aspirations mechanics, very similar to Scion Deeds - simply let players to choose Deeds. Start session 1 with empty Deeds list - or let them choose personal Long Term Deed at character creation, to mark the idea for each player of their own storyline. At the game table, player can declare once per session one goal as Deed on each level ( Short, Long and Band ) for his character - simple as that. If band will have direct idea what would they want to get as Band Deed ( i.e. what they think is whole plot runned now ) they can pause game and talk with SG on that. SG may have veto vote on this as he knows what is real plot - and you do not want PCs to dwell for Band Deed to stop rising their Legend, don't you. If players missed the mark for Band Deed, simply say as SG 'no, I think you need to choose better Deed for this story'. After all this on session 1, you simply repeat this after end of each game session, having clearer idea where chronicle is heading on.

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    The point of Band Deeds is that it’s the one point that makes all the characters to level their Legend (at least it’s the one that bring all of them together), so, if you put it too far, they will not rise their legend. Not bad if you want to keep the Hero stage for longer, but in the end there are too many things locked in the legend.

Your Hero stage campaign must be 4 Deeds long ending with the ascension to Demigods. So, the band deed MUST be set by the SG or at least with a participation of the SG, otherwise the team can end up too high or too low powered by the end of the campaign, for example raising to Legend 2 when should be 3 or 4, or rising to 5 before finishing the hero campaign.

Leave a comment:

• Maitrecorbo
    replied
    There is also nothing stopping you as a SG to choose the band deed and set it as the culmination of your planned arc.
    Another thing you can do with deeds is have the short term decided at the end of the session and the long term deed chosen at the end of the arc.
    Since its a new system and my players are more used to DnD thats what we decided to do as they were never sure on what to choose for deeds.
    Its working quite well for us.
    In the end it depends on the prefered style of the SG and the players.

Leave a comment:

• Squee
    replied
    I'm inclined to agree. In my experience, at least, Scion is best run with a light hand. Obviously there's a metaplot, but they choose their own deeds. Usually after the game has started and the band is interested in something. I'm running a plot set in London where the band is caught between ex-pat Irish fae who want to go home and the Irish fae who fled to London and went native and want the rest to 'get with the times'. There's a cold war happening and things are coming toward open hostility.

And in the middle of that I threw in a side-arc of an attack from someone they believe is a returned Atlantean bent on destroying London (it wasn't at the time but it is now, because that was a whole lot better than what I had planned) but now their Band Deed is finding out what happened to Atlantis and preventing it from rising. They have personal goals as relates to London and the faerie cold war but the band as a whole chose to make "the Atlantis situation" the focus of their pooled talents.

Leave a comment:

• Kyman201
    replied
    Originally posted by JohanDracys View Post

The wording is... awkward. It says that the band gets together and decides communally on an objective. Normally there would be a plot decided by the GM. Either by module or home brew, but it the book makes it seem far more player decided of “Our epic adventure will be X” and leave it to the ‘Storyguide’ scrambling behind trying to figure out what to do with that direction.
    Here's the thing you seem to be misunderstanding.

Pretty much all of the time, players don't decide their Band Deed until they've already begun it. It's basically choosing a title for the adventure you've put in front of them. I've played in a few campaigns and am running one of my own, as well as talked to others in their own games, and I have never heard of this situation you seem to be conjuring, which if I'm reading you right is "My players decided their second Band Deed will be 'Let's go kill Ares' and I had planned for them to go investigate a tomb in Egypt".

It's theoretically possible that could happen, but that sort of thing would probably be indicative of any number of things, chief among them lack of Player and GM trust or poor communication. Generally, from your players' personal Deeds (Long and Short) as well as general character build, you should have an idea of what kind of thing they want to do (Half the PCs have the Warrior Calling, I should let them kick some ass). From there, you can come up with an arc to run through ("Durga has sent one of the Band members a message asking to help fight some Asura") and probably have half an idea as to what parts will suit what person.

From there, put in the adventure seeds ("A wandering Sage of the Deva has happened across the Deva Scion and passed on the message from Durga") and your players should do the rest ("Go fight some Asura? Badass!") and then you can come up with a catchy name for this Band Deed ("Slay the Champions of the Aurochs Asura").

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    The Band Deed is usually the reason the band is working together for now, so it’s kind of decided by the band. But in the end it’s the SG decision, as the band will not work together if Fate doesn’t want they to, or at least doesn’t give a reason to.

Leave a comment:

• JohanDracys
    replied
    Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
    ... Too easy.
    Basically, think of a Group Deed as whatever objective you're throwing at your players hoping it will stick. If the sun vanished (hyperbolic for Hero level perhaps) then the Group/Band Deed will be something like "Put the sun back in the sky". Or something along those lines. I admit I'm not sure how you mean by 'conflict'. The group hears about trouble, goes to solve the trouble, ding, Band Deed.

If your players don't take the bait, continue to dangle plot hooks in front of them. But granted if your players are the type to hear "So there's a lot of strange disappearances in the city" and go "Well... Time to leave and never look back" this may not be the game for them. :P

The wording is... awkward. It says that the band gets together and decides communally on an objective. Normally there would be a plot decided by the GM. Either by module or home brew, but it the book makes it seem far more player decided of “Our epic adventure will be X” and leave it to the ‘Storyguide’ scrambling behind trying to figure out what to do with that direction.

Leave a comment:

• Kyman201
    replied
    What are Group deeds vs a Traditional campaign model? These concepts seem to conflict to me... though this one I will admit to the high likelihood of just being dense.
    ... Too easy.
    Basically, think of a Group Deed as whatever objective you're throwing at your players hoping it will stick. If the sun vanished (hyperbolic for Hero level perhaps) then the Group/Band Deed will be something like "Put the sun back in the sky". Or something along those lines. I admit I'm not sure how you mean by 'conflict'. The group hears about trouble, goes to solve the trouble, ding, Band Deed.

If your players don't take the bait, continue to dangle plot hooks in front of them. But granted if your players are the type to hear "So there's a lot of strange disappearances in the city" and go "Well... Time to leave and never look back" this may not be the game for them. :P
    Last edited by Kyman201; 05-11-2019, 02:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JohanDracys
    replied
    Newest question: What are Group deeds vs a Traditional campaign model? These concepts seem to conflict to me... though this one I will admit to the high likelihood of just being dense.

Leave a comment:

• JohanDracys
    replied
    I’m starting with Origin since I’m starting my players pre visitation. Thank you for the clarification (and I will repeat my frustrations with the layouts of these books).

Leave a comment:

• AutoDefenestrate
    replied
    Are you looking at just Origin or Origin and Hero? Saints and Heroic Scions get Virtues. Seeing as pre-Visitation Scions aren't officially a part of a Pantheon they're not bound by the Virtues of their parents.

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    That was actually very concise (wish the book was) thanks. My only further query would be, since virtues only appear in the appendix with supernatural paths for saints etc, do scions actually have them or just saints?
    Heroes does, origin level Scion don’t.

Leave a comment:

• JohanDracys
    replied
    That was actually very concise (wish the book was) thanks. My only further query would be, since virtues only appear in the appendix with supernatural paths for saints etc, do scions actually have them or just saints?

Leave a comment:

• Kyman201
    replied
    Newest question:

Virtues and Virtuous- Explain please?
    Alright the bulk of the explanation is on page 162-163 of the Origin book, but I'll lay it out here.

Every Pantheon has a pair of Virtues attributed to them. These are two values that often crop up in the stories of this Pantheon. This is demonstrated via your character having a five-point bar, with one Virtue at each end. Let's pick, oh, the Teotl Virtues (because I like the Teotl). The Teotl Virtues are Hunger, a desire for MORE, more Glory, more Prestige, more Wealth, more Power... And Sacrifice, the Virtue of granting something significant for something greater than yourself.

So we'll have Ash, a DJ Scion of Xochipilli. She starts with her Virtue Bar centered, like so:

Hunger O O X O O Sacrifice

Certain actions can resonate with one of these Virtues. If you take an action that does so (and you'll be declaring this to your GM most of the time), you can spend Momentum to enhance your roll. Doing so will grant you a bonus die for the Momentum you spend. This will also move you one step along the bar towards the end with that virtue.

So let's say that Ash, in combat, decides to go for broke and instead of setting up an attack for an ally, she goes for the kill, for personal desire of having the killing blow. I, her player, argue that this kind of personal interest would resonate with Hunger. Let's assume the GM agrees, so I spend my Momentum to enhance the roll, and gain two dice for the one Momentum spent. I would then move the point for her Virtue Bar like so-

Hunger O X O O O Sacrifice

With me so far? Good. Now, if say, Ash made a major action that resonated with Sacrifice (possibly by missing a major DJ gig to help her friends), I'd get the same benefit... But I'd nudge the point to the middle of the bar, since it resonates with Sacrifice. The marker also goes towards the middle of the bar if you make a very deliberate action that goes against the Virtue at the end. So if Ash were to deliberately turn down something of great personal value to her (say, a Relic being offered if she turns on her friends but she refuses), then the marker would go back to the middle.

As for Virtuous... Well let's go back to Ash, and say that she did enough Hunger-aligned things to push her Virtue Bar all the way to one end.

Hunger X O O O O Sacrifice

Right, so Ash has engaged the Virtuous Condition (detailed in a sidebar at the top of page 163) for Hunger. She is going to be difficult. When in the grips of the Virtuous Condition, you cannot go against the Virtue. Ash can't turn away something that furthers or speaks to her Desire for More. However, this has impressive benefits. See that line about how spending Momentum on an Action that resonates with a Virtue gets you a bonus die? The Virtuous Condition also gives a bonus die per point of Momentum you spend on a Virtue-aligned action.

Those stack. If Ash is in her Hunger Virtuous Condition and spends Momentum on a Hungry Action, she gets three dice per Momentum spent.

The Virtuous Condition also gives more Momentum if your Virtue Rage gets you or a friend in trouble.

You end this Condition by acting in a way that embraces the opposite Virtue while not necessarily acting against the one you're in. Or using the Balm Fatebinding benefit, that can work too.

Hope this helped.

Edit: fukkin' Ninja'd. :P
    Last edited by Kyman201; 05-10-2019, 08:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X