Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Systematic Questions, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GODS HELP!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systematic Questions, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GODS HELP!

Ok I will have more then this but for now:

How does skill selection work in character generation work?

The path section says you choose 3 skills but certain of the paths in Origin seem to have a varying amount of selections to choose from (examples being Suburbia having the skills: Culture, Empathy, or Technology vs Chosen which has: Culture, Integrity Occult, or Subterfuge vs Created which just states a flat Athletics, Empathy, Survival).

They're examples.

Genius templates (for Demon: the Descent)

Comment

Some have more examples but you still only pick three. You're not restricted to the examples either. Pick three skills that make sense for your chosen Path.

Comment

The path shown are also examples. You can make up your own origin, role or pantheon path. There is only the two skills in each pantheon that have to be taken in your pantheon path. But that still leaves you with a third skill to choose.

Currently running: Scion 2nd Edition. Les Légendes Currently playing: Being a dad for a 2year old daughter and a newborn son.

Comment

Thanks. So far this book has made Rifts look well written and coherently organized. I mean I love the setting, and everything I'm pulling out of the changes is awesome it's like a walking migraine trying to get logic out of this book.

Comment

Originally posted by JohanDracys View Post
            Thanks. So far this book has made Rifts look well written and coherently organized. I mean I love the setting, and everything I'm pulling out of the changes is awesome it's like a walking migraine trying to get logic out of this book.
            I don’t think that’s actually true. I think it’s the dichotomy of it being similar enough to Storyteller that it’s throwing people how different it is.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

What I found lacking in Origin and Hero books - from the CoD perspective - it's the one page sum up of character creations. In Chronicles of Darkness, it really made easier preparing new characters - even for me, mostly Storyteller of games.

Proposition - Maybe we should do fan 'One Page Character Creation' for Scion 2E tiers? Like a Google Doc or something.

I'm still not sure if we can before official premiere of game.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
              LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                What I found lacking in Origin and Hero books - from the CoD perspective - it's the one page sum up of character creations. In Chronicles of Darkness, it really made easier preparing new characters - even for me, mostly Storyteller of games.

Proposition - Maybe we should do fan 'One Page Character Creation' for Scion 2E tiers? Like a Google Doc or something.

I'm still not sure if we can before official premiere of game.

I did a thing. It aboards just the Origin level, but still something. Hope it helps: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Vq...jeMTy180FE9D7Q

Comment

I think the problem is not bad writing or lack of logic, we can get all the info from the text, but there is the difficulty of finding it when needed, as it is not highlighted or anything like that.
                  We need a Character Creation Sum Up with all the info for character creation, as usual for the CoD and WoD.
                  We could use a few more exemples of difficulties for the skills and a few more stunt examples for regular actions, as we have for combat.

I like the idea of open end paths, but it’s horrible for starters and those that are not sure about what their character are. Don’t get me wrong, it’s fun to create your path and have a great flexibility in the rules, but it’s a bit annoying the lack of restrictions. The golden rules of all RPG (if the rule is disturbing, change it) is the main rule here straight from the book, to the point you don’t have any restrictive rule. Trinity Continuum is a bit more straight to the point, the paths are all fixed, you can build your own, change the ones in the book, but they are there with all you need to create a character if you don’t want to think too much about the rules...
                  Last edited by Mateus Luz; 05-04-2019, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hayashi View Post

I did a thing. It aboards just the Origin level, but still something. Hope it helps: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Vq...jeMTy180FE9D7Q
                    That is good, lot easier to get the entire creation!

Comment

The missing creation summary is one of the reasons I'm attempting to program a character generator in Python. The other reason is to try learning Python... Even then it's still really confusing to get all the logic in, and made harder by the fact you can choose a skill twice via different paths.

Comment

Posted in wrong thread.

Comment

Originally posted by JohanDracys View Post
                          That's not even close to true.

I think the only thing tripping people up is the amount of stuff pulled in from systems like Fate or Hero System where you define a name or description of a feature yourself rather than have it defined by the game.

Advocate for the Hopeful Performer
                          Wildlife Mediator
                          Born to Blood of Harpies
                          Thrived on the Streets
                          A Wolf in Secretary's Guise
                          Brutal Vigilante
                          Cursed with Warped Ka
                          The Trickster Fox, Entertainer and Hero
                          Marine Born and Raised
                          Hidden Gem and Potential
                          Something Special Breathes in You
                          Scout's Luck: Good, Bad, and Strange
                          A Child of Thunder and Gold
                          Daredevil Media Darling

Those are all Paths I've made for characters both theoretical or for actual play.

A Modern Red
                          The Forgotten Victim
                          Amaterasu's Eclipse
                          The Trickster Fox
                          The Clean Harpy
                          The Beautiful Death
                          The Inevitable Conflict
                          The Squirrel Thief
                          The Lady of Dreams
                          The Tea Mistress
                          Inheritor of Legends
                          The Skillful Secretary
                          The Slow Temper
                          The Lion's Thief
                          The Stormy Conclusion

Those are all titles I've chosen for theoreticals.

It's a common way of doing things in a lot of the systems Storypath borrows from.

For paths, you think of a story-arc or character concept that defines your character and you give it a name...let's look at Wildlife Mediator which represents the fact that she can speak to animals and works to mediate between humans and the wild so everybody comes out well. What would this entail for skills? I decided Empathy, Integrity, and Survival made the most sense.

What about for the Daredevil Media Darling path on another character? I decided Athletics, Empathy, and Persuasion

The bits in the book are guidelines.

What you need is

Path name
                          Three skills related to said path
                          The sorts of people that you have connections to based on what that path says about you.

If you want to spread out your skill points to be good at a lot of things, you try to avoid overlap. If you want to be heavily specialized, you do quite a bit of overlap.
                          Last edited by Thrythlind; 05-05-2019, 03:05 AM.

Comment

I don't think the issue is the content of the book, rather more in how it is laid out. Hayashi's document takes all the info you need to create a character and puts it on one or two pages. Sure you need to check the book to find out more about the paths, but its far, far quicker than having to flip through multiple pages to find the relevant section, to then search that block of text for the one or two bits of information you need.

Take a look at the CofD books. They have sprawling in-depth explanations of what everything is and how to make characters, but they always have a 1-2 page overview of the whole process. Not to mention some of the character sheets have all the info you need at the bottom of them too.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrythlind View Post

That's not even close to true.

I think the only thing tripping people up is the amount of stuff pulled in from systems like Fate or Hero System where you define a name or description of a feature yourself rather than have it defined by the game.
                              True, and work really nice for any player with some experience on more flexible rules games. For a beginner, it’s not that easy, first you need to get a good understand of the way the skills are divided, what toke me some time, and find a good combination to make you more proficient or less.

The skills are smartly divided in an “unusual” way.
                              First you have not a single handwork (craft, arts, etc) or art (performing, acting, etc) skill, you must build your concept from an engineer, an artist, a blacksmith or a technician from what they know and not what they do.
                              There is no perception skill, you use your capacity of survival to identify perils in the nature, your knowledge of technology to find pieces of equipment in the floor, and your ability in interacting with people to detect micro expressions in their faces.
                              The only straight forward skills are the ones related to combat, and even them are a bit more versatile than usual.

Than we get back to the creation of paths, even the examples are not finished, you get an example that is not finished, many questions were about “why some paths have 3 and other have 4 skills”, and the answer is “because you didn't ready a few pages ago that they all have 3, and you can pick 3 or the 4 in the list, in fact you can pick ANY 3 not even bothering about the ones listed”, but as we read RPG books on a “non linear” way, it gets really confuse. RPG books usually have at some point a summary of the rules, just because we are used to it to the point we don’t even read the entire book. Also, it’s self referencing to pages you didn’t go thru yet, what means you WILL jump forward to understand something and will not finish the previous chapter you were reading. Not a problem with RPG books, but you need a summary for character creation, and at least a few side bars with the main information of the chapter.
                              Last edited by Mateus Luz; 05-05-2019, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X