The Abosom - The Pantheon of the Ashanti People

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Abosom - The Pantheon of the Ashanti People

There is One God who loves all and rules over all. His will is carried through the heavens by the beat of a drum. It is passed on by flying cars and gurgling rivers, mumbled from ear to ear as souls dart up and down between heaven and the underworld. It fills everything and gives all purpose. It is his will that countless kingdoms and empires have sought to fulfill and which even today kings and their subjects live. It is the benelovent word of Nyame, the Only Great One.

The times are long gone when Nyame stood at mankind's shoulder. Others have taken his place, keeping the world in order and mankind happy at his behest. They are the Abosom, great Nyame's children, his myriad instruments in the world. They seek joy and to bring joy, they have accompanied their human charges from the dawn of time to the present, through the quarrel of their many kingdoms, the pains of the Great Taboo that was the Slave Trade, the humiliations of Colonisation, and into the modern days of digital prayer and mechanised devotions. Thus they serve the will of Nyame, the will of the One God that is nothing but love and justice.

And yet Nyame's will is no imperative. Even as a Scion of his Pantheon, he is your king, not your dictator. Even though the goals of your life have already been chosen by Nyame, Scion of the Abosom, he will not keep you from defying them. He will allow you to stray, like Anansi the Spider does, the selfish Trickster who will eat as his own family starves. He will allow you to fall, like Sasabonsam the Bush Devil has, a devouring beast that breeds witches. There are no dark forces, no ancient enemies to rise against Nyame and his Abosom. There is only the darkness that one condemns oneself to, and even there, Nyame promises that every darkness is followed by light. Even those who have strayed furthest from his plans he will bring back to the path of happiness, and even on the night of death he will let the day of rebirth follow.

Be proud, Scion of the Abosom. You are part of a Pantheon as unified and as devoted to the well-being of mankind as few others. You are a servant of Nyame, and that alone makes you a king among all creatures. He has such hopes for you, such great goals in mind.

Will you, oh ɔbosom’ba, oh you Child of the Gods, be able to live up to them?

Hello everyone, I hope people are excited for their books which should be arriving soon!

We have another Pantheon to go along with the he Enduri, Šiuneš, and Sgā’na Qeda’s: the Abosom of the Ashanti! They are an amazing addition to your Scion games, bringing a very familiar face to Scion for fans of American Gods with Anansi the Spider, as well as adding the third Pantheon to Africa. They are Monotheistic, their 'deities' being the servants of the one true God, Nyame, a benevolent, kind, and loving man who knows in his heart that you can do such amazing things for this world. Unlike many Pantheons, this one is not only modernized in their original manifestations in our world, but modernized to a degree beyond any Pantheon seen in the core books, with both their Overworld and Underworld riddled with satellite dishes and modern technology.

We have provided several different versions of the Ashanti Creation Myth, as well as discussions of important cultural details, such as their particularly important concept of divinity and the impact of the abomination that was The Triangle Trade. In addition to these and further cultural details, you can find everything you need to include them in your game: Major Deities, Minor Deities, Titans, Primordials, the Underworld, the Overworld(s), Birthright Ideas, and a Hero-Tier Pantheon Specific Purview based on traditional Ashanti religious beliefs.

If you enjoy the stories of Trickster figures, look no further than Anansi the Spider, who through the banality of everyday evils of selfishness and laziness, finds himself thrust into strange situations that always end with proof as why someone should aspire to be a better man than the Spider.

If you enjoy African Pantheons, you can see a new face to join the two presented in Scion Hero, one with a complex and unique set of religious traditions and deities set in a Cosmology that lacks any cosmic oppression or evil that would challenge great Nyame.

If you like the idea of playing a servant of the right and good, seeking to live your life to the best of your abilities and make the world a better place for it, look no further than the Abosom and Nyame who fit the concept perfectly.

If you have any questions about the Pantheon of the Ashanti, how to use them in your games, or want to share your thoughts and opinions, we are happy to listen and help where we can!

Up Next (Probably): The smell of the sea, and the sound of the clinking of metal that could be chains or coins.
    Last edited by Watcher; 06-12-2019, 06:07 PM.

Scion 2e Homebrew Projects:
    The Šiuneš, the Pantheon of the Hittite Empire, The Enduri: the Pantheon of the Manchu Peoples, The Sgā’na Qeda’s: the Pantheon of the Haida First Nation, The Abosom: The Pantheon of the Ashanti, Lebor Óe In Dea: an Expansion for the Túatha Dé Danann.

Yeeeeeahhh!

Comment

It's great to finally see the Abosom!

Comment

Originally posted by Watcher View Post

Up Next (Probably): The smell of the sea, and the sound of the clinking of metal that could be chains or coins.
        Does the sound arise from the fate that befell this Pantheon and would have been different in 1491?

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

hey Watcher,i was under the impression b'rer rabbit was a mantle of,or at least strongly related to nanaboozo,did i get that wrong?
          Last edited by Nicolas Milioni; 05-10-2019, 07:27 PM.

Comment

I am exceedingly impressed with this, especially by Sasabonsam. I'd heard of him before (he's well-known amongst teratology circles) but there's a lot more to him than I thought. Would you say the Titans for this pantheon would be strong contenders for potential patrons of Scions themselves? All in all, this pantheon has changed a lot since when you first detailed it to me a couple of years ago, with several more deities (counting minor gods). Excellent work, and I look forward to seeing the Zemis! You never cease to impress!

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
              hey Watcher,i was under the impression b'rer rabbit was a mantle of,or at least strongly related to nanaboozo,did i get that wrong?
              Not Watcher, but hey, I researched and wrote that sidebar, so I guess it'll be okay Br'er Rabbit, being a very clearly Southern US figure, far removed from any Algonquian populations, has nothing to do with Nanabozho. Br'er Rabbit is at home in Georgia, in Alabama; Nanabozho hails from the northern shore of the Great Lakes in Canada. Thus, Br'er Rabbit is most likely to be a combination of the Rabbit Trickster of the Maskókî ("Muscogee", "Creek") peoples in the area, and the Rabbit Trickster of Bantu peoples who came as slaves to the plantations of the Old South. So in Scion terms, he would be a Mantle shared between this figures, but one that Nanabozho way up north has no right to.

Comment

Originally posted by Wannabe Demon Lord View Post
                I am exceedingly impressed with this, especially by Sasabonsam. I'd heard of him before (he's well-known amongst teratology circles) but there's a lot more to him than I thought. Would you say the Titans for this pantheon would be strong contenders for potential patrons of Scions themselves? All in all, this pantheon has changed a lot since when you first detailed it to me a couple of years ago, with several more deities (counting minor gods). Excellent work, and I look forward to seeing the Zemis! You never cease to impress!
                I'm so happy to hear you like them. It's true that a lot about them kept changing until the last minute - it's a very difficult area with a lot of local variation, and we neglected more modern cults a bit in the beginning, so there was this surge of changes and new figures once we started looking into that. Sorry if the original statements threw a wrench into any of what you were doing, but I hope the full product will be able to make up for that. As for Titan Patrons, I don't think that would work out very well for these folks. All three of them are Titans precisely because they stand in a strange and dangerous opposition more to humanity than to any of the Abosom, let alone Nyame himself. That's precisely what makes them fall out of the Pantheon, though, because Benevolence and the protection of humanity are high goals of the Abosom. So I really can't imagine any of them Choosing or Creating a Scion when they could just eat that person instead of investing them with their power. If I squint really hard, I could hypothetically imagine Osebo fathering a Born Scion, but those are very rare for the Abosom to begin with, so it's unlikely.
                I won't comment on the possibility or impossibility of the Zemí this time, since it would ruin the guessing game, but thank you again for your compliments

Comment

Don’t really have any questions but I just want to say I’m consistently floored by the amount of research, authenticity, and clear respect for the cultures that you’ve shown all while also constructing a fun mythological sandbox to play in.

When depicting real life gods in Scion there’s all to often a little devil on my shoulder whispering “Yes, yes have Hades be a fop who sounds like James Woods” or “no Ryujin’s not a Titan, he’s Raiden, guardian and protector of Earthrealm” that I often have to ignore. Pop culture has often watered down these gods and what players expectations of them are. I try to walk that fine line between making sure the god is depicted in an accurate way but while still having a distinctive, dynamic personality and not coming off as a static idol.

But with these supplements you two have proved you can be both authentic and true to the myths while still having a great time out of it.
                  Last edited by Corax; 05-20-2019, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Corax View Post
                    ”no Ryujin’s not a Titan, he’s Raiden, guardian and protector of Earthrealm”
                    Just to note if it’s helpful: Raiden is the anglicization of Raijin. Ryujin is a different figure, also known as Owatatsumi, the sea dragon. Similar to the Chinese Ao Guang.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by Corax View Post
                      Don’t really have any questions but I just want to say I’m consistently floored by the amount of research, authenticity, and clear respect for the cultures that you shown all while also constructing a fun mythological sandbox to play in.

When depicting real life gods in Scion there’s all to often a little devil on my shoulder whispering “Yes, yes have Hades be a fop who sounds like James Woods” or “no Ryujin’s not a Titan, he’s Raiden, guardian and protector of Earthrealm” that I often have to ignore. Pop culture has often watered down these gods and what payers expectations of them are. I try to walk that fine line between making sure the god is depicted in an accurate way but while still having a distinctive, dynamic personality and not coming off as a static idol.

But with these supplements you two have proved you can be both authentic and true to the myths while still having a great time out of it.
                      Thank you so much! You don't know how much it means to us to get positive feedback like that! Helping people find an accurate baseline to either use, or build from, for their own games has always been one of our main goals in addition to education. It means a lot to me that you are getting that from these supplements.

I hope that you continue to enjoy what we produce, and that both yourself and your players have fun with the Abosom!

The Šiuneš, the Pantheon of the Hittite Empire, The Enduri: the Pantheon of the Manchu Peoples, The Sgā’na Qeda’s: the Pantheon of the Haida First Nation, The Abosom: The Pantheon of the Ashanti, Lebor Óe In Dea: an Expansion for the Túatha Dé Danann.

Comment

These homebrew pantheons are fantastic, thank you. Is there any way you could embed the fonts in the pdfs though, please, so I can print POD copies of them for myself at Lulu?

Comment

Originally posted by Jargogle Bamboozle View Post
                          These homebrew pantheons are fantastic, thank you. Is there any way you could embed the fonts in the pdfs though, please, so I can print POD copies of them for myself at Lulu?
                          I am glad you like them! I can totally do that as well, give me a few days and I should get it sorted out! I'll drop you a message to let you know when it's all sorted!

Comment

That would be great, thanks. I look forward to it.

Comment

They should all be updated to the most recent version with the fonts embedded within! Let me know if there are any problems with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X