X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bioagent
    started a topic The Mythos (aka, Yog Sothothery), Homebrew Scion 2nd

The Mythos (aka, Yog Sothothery), Homebrew Scion 2nd

Because I am super excited for Mask of Mythos I excised my creative ich by writing out my quick interpretation of the Mythos.

I know there is a lot Chris will be creating and adding to Scion 2nd Edition. This is just to tide me, and others, over until then. I might add more gods later if I feel frisky. Enjoy!

The Mythos

Virtues: Nihilism vs. Domination

All the great beings within The Mythos are profoundly alien. Their ways are not human ways and what they do few dare to understand. A Scion of the Mythos struggles with inhuman impulses that are counter to life as most understand it and so expresses itself in what people would call Nihilism. Scions break the down the world around them and remind others, and themselves, that this universe is impermanent and multiple. They also crave rulership. They need to control and influence others, even fellow gods, in order to keep their place within their strange cosmological ecosystem. These ideals run counter to one another because if you break everything, there is nothing left to lord over.

The Outer Gods
    Many of the gods that attend Azathoth are far removed from humanity and rarely ever notice them. When they do it is generally at the behest of some arrogant sorcerer who feels they can control what they do not understand. The Outer Gods are the Titans of this pantheon, forced and bound to the alien will of Azathoth.

The one exception to the Outer God’s noninterest in humanity is Nyarlathotep. A loathsome entity that delights in its ability to interfere with mortals. It begrudgingly acts as a herald for the Outer Gods but is happy to subvert their whims. It is this transient nature, cosmological duty, and malignant persona that allows Nyarlathotep to have cults on earth and be influenced by their mythology. As such Nyarlathotep is considered a God of The Mythos Pantheon.

The Pantheon of The Great Old Ones
    These more terrestrial bound gods are terrible things of nightmares. They have plagued humanity for unknown reasons and have done so since man first came to be. Their increased contact with people and other races has led them to cultivate followers, be touched by The World’s cultures, and shaped by their mythologies. The drove them from being Titans to what would be considered gods of a more earthly Pantheon. This is why many are bound, locked away somewhere on earth. They had to hide and work through mysteries in order to keep themselves from being too bound my mortal perspectives
    Scions of The Great Old Ones are rarer than most other Pantheons. Directly breeding is out of the question, though some cults have perfected blasphemous rituals in order to grant their master’s divine seed to their followers. Chosen is the most likely “type” of Scion that exist within this Patheon. These people have had the misfortune of being blessed by these otherworldly creatures, either through direct invocation or a wicked twist of fate. From time to time, one of the Gods of the Mythos will elevate an animal or inanimate thing to act as their Scion. Though it is rare, those Scions that are incarnations of their higher selves do occur as the fight for domination rages.

Cthugha
    Aliases: The Living Flame, The Burning One
    Callings: Judge, Liminal, Warrior
    Purviews: Epic Dexterity, Fire, Chaos, Journeys,
    Cthulhu
    Aliases: The Great Dreamer, High Priest of the Great Old Ones
    Callings: Leader, Guardian, Sage
    Purviews: Chaos, Darkness, Epic Stamina, Water, Stars
    Dagon
    Aliases: Father Dagon
    Callings: Hunter, Lover, Warrior
    Purviews: Beasts (Aquatic Creatures), Fertility, Epic Strength, Water
    Daoloth
    Aliases: The Render of Veils, Infinite Geometry
    Callings: Judge, Liminal, Sage
    Purviews: Earth, Chaos, Order, Fortune
    Glaaki
    Aliases: none
    Callings: Hunter, Sage, Trickster
    Purviews: Darkness, Death, Stars, Health
    Hastur
    Aliases: The King in Yellow, The Unspeakable, Zukala-Koth
    Callings: Creator, Leader, Sage
    Purviews: Artistry (Literature), Death, Order, Passion (Obsession), Prosperity
    Ithaqua
    Aliases: The Wind Walker, God of the Cold White Silence
    Callings: Hunter, Trickster, Warrior
    Purviews: Epic Stamina, Epic Strength, Frost, Journeys, Skys
    Nyarlathotep
    Aliases: The Black Pharaoh, Stalker Among the Stars, Crawling Chaos
    Callings: Liminal, Lover, Tricksters
    Purviews: Beauty, Chaos, Deception, Epic Dexterity, Journeys
    Shub-Nigguroth
    Aliases: The Black Goat with a Thousand Young, Lord of Woods
    Callings: Creator, Guardian, Healer
    Purviews: Beasts (All), Fertility, Epic Stamina, Moon, Wild
    Yig
    Aliases: Father of Serpents
    Callings: Guardian, Lover, Warrior
    Purviews: Beasts (Snakes), Beauty, Epic Strength, Passions (Extreme Emotions), War
    Zhar & Lloigor
    Aliases: The Twin Obscenities
    Callings: Leader, Lover, Guardian
    Purviews: Epic Dexterity, Moon, Sky, Stars
    Last edited by Bioagent; 05-14-2019, 10:22 PM.

• Deltaomega91
    replied
    Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
    Nah, the mind switching thing is something that The Great Race of Yith does on a casual whim, when studying the universe. They're rather nice guys, who will let you explore their intergalactic libraries free of charge... until your mind inevitably snaps from exposure to their cosmic secrets.
    Body swapping was a Plot Point in The Thing on the Doorstep and the people involved are definitely not Ythians. The Great Race does have the advantage of doing that though time travel though. Part of the reason they have avoided extinction so far.

On a side not I'm kinda surprised Yog-Sothoth is not on this list of gods. He (It? I dunno) is one of the few gods that had something close to a Scion. Azathoth I can understand because frankly no one sane wants to wake him up and honestly makes for a good Titan.

Leave a comment:

• Nyrufa
    replied
    Originally posted by Deltaomega91 View Post

Maybe something related to rituals and rites perhaps? From what I recall, a lot of cthulhu mythos stories have about as many cultists and individuals trying to do magic to summon something forth from another world or do weirder things like switch bodies or screwing around with time. Also some mind bending dimensional travel but I think Journeys boons can cover that as the line gets expanded.

Nah, the mind switching thing is something that The Great Race of Yith does on a casual whim, when studying the universe. They're rather nice guys, who will let you explore their intergalactic libraries free of charge... until your mind inevitably snaps from exposure to their cosmic secrets.

Leave a comment:

• Deltaomega91
    replied
    Not sure on Mutations. It does feel a little too similar to what the Theoi can do (Though with more tentacles obviously)

Maybe something related to rituals and rites perhaps? From what I recall, a lot of cthulhu mythos stories have about as many cultists and individuals trying to do magic to summon something forth from another world or do weirder things like switch bodies or screwing around with time. Also some mind bending dimensional travel but I think Journeys boons can cover that as the line gets expanded.

Leave a comment:

• Bioagent
    replied
    I could see their innate Purview handling mutations similar to how Shape-Shifting works for the Theoi. You can get a lot of mileage out of the Chaos and Darkness purviews.

Leave a comment:

• glamourweaver
    replied
    Originally posted by Prometheus View Post
    That's pretty much what I expect. Although now that I think about it, Boons dealing with mutations might also fit. So would powers dealing with the Dreamlands.

It really seems more logical that there will be multiple Purviews with all these varied abilities connected to the Mythos.
    Well interacting with dreams is already covered by the Darkness Purview, so Dreamland would more likely just be an aspect of the setting that aspects of you’re using the Lovecraft Shard.

Mutations I could actually see being their own system of things that kick in with inheriting any Purview. Like the Water innate makes you grow gills instead of just magically being immune to drowning, etc.
    Last edited by glamourweaver; 05-21-2019, 04:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Prometheus
    replied
    Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

I’m guessing the PSP in Masks of the Mythos will deal with (what Lovecraft would inaccurately call) non-euclidian space, visible colors outside the visible spectrum, and the resulting madness from witnessing these nonsensical things.
    That's pretty much what I expect. Although now that I think about it, Boons dealing with mutations might also fit. So would powers dealing with the Dreamlands.

It really seems more logical that there will be multiple Purviews with all these varied abilities connected to the Mythos.

Leave a comment:

• glamourweaver
    replied
    Originally posted by Prometheus View Post
    Anyone has a guess as to what Pantheon specific Purview and Boons will the pantheon have? Or might there even be more Purviews, considering the possibility of a standalone version of the world apart from the other Pantheons?
    I’m guessing the PSP in Masks of the Mythos will deal with (what Lovecraft would inaccurately call) non-euclidian space, visible colors outside the visible spectrum, and the resulting madness from witnessing these nonsensical things.
    Last edited by glamourweaver; 05-21-2019, 03:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Prometheus
    replied
    Anyone has a guess as to what Pantheon specific Purview and Boons will the pantheon have? Or might there even be more Purviews, considering the possibility of a standalone version of the world apart from the other Pantheons?

Leave a comment:

• Bioagent
    replied
    If they were apart of a canonical Scion game. They would be treated much more like titanspawn and other antagonists.

Leave a comment:

• Kyman201
    replied
    Originally posted by Bioagent View Post
    The finished product of Masks may just end up being an alternate setting where The Mythos is the only Patheon. (I don't think it will be, but who knows.)
    Every piece I've heard about Masks is that it is indeed a supplement where the Mythos are the only Pantheon. I mean nothing's set in stone until the copies are set up, but statements I've heard on podcasts and teases seem to imply that.

Of course the obvious answer to that last comment is "I like to think the writers have an idea" :P

Edit: And my stance is one part "It'd be tough to put this into the mainline setting with other Gods" and three parts "I don't think you should"
    Last edited by Kyman201; 05-18-2019, 05:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bioagent
    replied
    Let take a step back. Obviously, we have differing opinions on the matter. I am not stating you are wrong for having that opinion. You have many good arguments of why it would be hard to put The Mythos in a setting such as the stock-standard one for Scion. I think it is possible, not easy, but possible.

The finished product of Masks may just end up being an alternate setting where The Mythos is the only Patheon. (I don't think it will be, but who knows.)

Leave a comment:

• Kyman201
    replied
    Hmm, it is less about "throwing down" and as you said, it is more about tough choices. The heads and some members of the pantheons are certainly willing to make very tough choices and get their hands dirty. However, many of the things that need to get done on The World are done by Scions. That is where more modern sensibilities (yes, western bias here) come in. Would a modern Scion be willing to brutally sacrifice a hundred unwilling innocent mortals, damning them from ever reaching an afterlife, just to keep an unknown thing at bay?
    Thaaaaat isn't something you need the Mythos to touch on. Just touch up on the Gods being a bit more old-fashioned.

"But Zeus, why do I need to drop a storm on this town?"

"It's mayor insulted me. They all deserve to die."

"DAD NO!"
    If you want to have your Scions do horrific things for the greater good, you don't need the Mythos to force them to do it. If you want them to rebel against unfair orders, you don't need the Mythos to do it. So I see nothing that they can add to the setting by existing in the core canon alongside others.

But I guess ultimately even beyond the Thematic Reasons, there's a big reason I object to the Mythos being put in the same setting as the other Gods.

I am really really really uncomfortable trying to imply, even slightly, that the rantings of a New England racist are on the same level as these very real religions that very real people worship. YES I realize that the Mythos has grown beyond its origins, but like... I just find it very weak. And dull. And unengaging. On multiple levels.

I don't find it scary because unlike Lovecraft, my self-worth isn't so tied to the idea that I'm Super Special due to my breeding that the implication of not being special fills me terror. I don't find the image of a universe with no greater plan and no higher loving power scary. Because that means I can just make my OWN fate in the world.

I don't find it interesting because it's just "Grah big monsters in space" with a dusting of the aforementioned stuff. I don't find Cthulhu scary beyond "Oh no big monster that can eat me", which you could replace with a T. rex or a Rathalos from Monster Hunter. This may have been because I first knew of Cthulhu as a meme back when I was in high school. That was over a decade ago, and I've only found him less engaging since then.

And if you're going to write them up as Titans... Why give them Divine Callings as though they'd be Patrons of a regular Pantheon? The Callings are meant to be archetypes that echo aspects of Humanity that the Gods themselves reflect.

How does a Pantheon that doesn't protect have a Guardian? How does a Pantheon that only kill have Healer? How does a Pantheon that doesn't lead to a bright future have Leader? How does a Pantheon that cares not for our mortal laws or justice have Judge?

Just... Yeah, to repeat my point: The Mythos Pantheon REALLY doesn't work in a setting where the other Pantheons exist. They add nothing beyond some pop culture points. They're really not interesting to me, and the game that they support isn't really in-line with the main assumptions of the game.

I am not saying you are wrong. The Mythos is a tough nut to crack. It all depends on what angle they are going to approach this. I find the idea of the unwilling inheritor to be the most acceptable approach. You have this super dark destiny ahead of you, what do you do with it? In many respects, those that lean away from the skid are the black-sheep of the pantheon. It like being a Scion of a Titan that works for Gods. Dark Heroes rather than Anti-Heroes.
    Just like... WHY do you insist on cramming them into a setting where they don't fit instead of putting them off to the side where they're literally the only thing? That's the only place they make sense and have any impact. That's the only way you can explore the themes that only they can explore.

Leave a comment:

• Bioagent
    replied
    Hmm, it is less about "throwing down" and as you said, it is more about tough choices. The heads and some members of the pantheons are certainly willing to make very tough choices and get their hands dirty. However, many of the things that need to get done on The World are done by Scions. That is where more modern sensibilities (yes, western bias here) come in. Would a modern Scion be willing to brutally sacrifice a hundred unwilling innocent mortals, damning them from ever reaching an afterlife, just to keep an unknown thing at bay?

I am not saying you are wrong. The Mythos is a tough nut to crack. It all depends on what angle they are going to approach this. I find the idea of the unwilling inheritor to be the most acceptable approach. You have this super dark destiny ahead of you, what do you do with it? In many respects, those that lean away from the skid are the black-sheep of the pantheon. It like being a Scion of a Titan that works for Gods. Dark Heroes rather than Anti-Heroes.

Also, I do have an idea about how to insert the Mythos into a game, mostly as Antagonist, is that they are the divine detritus of the cosmos. They are legend fragments of by-gone races that have congealed around the sphere of humanity. They sort of bubble up to the surface over the eons and have to be dealt with.

Leave a comment:

• Kyman201
    replied
    AAs for the Mythos. Something interesting that my buddy told me put a good bit of this into perspective. Somethings just need to be done. Not nice or good things, but things that other Scions with balk at. An example he gave me is something in "Johny the Homicidal Maniac". There is a wall that needs fresh blood or something very, very bad begins to happen. That is where Mythos Scions come in. They supply the fresh blood. Now those of the Teotl maybe cool with that, but you get the idea. You are not the "good" guys and many of the things you do will be questioned by other scions. Some Scions may see you as the problem. You handle the dirty work. Like real cosmological janitorial shit.
    ... *Side-eyes All of Mythology*

There isn't a Pantheon that I'm aware of that doesn't have at least ONE God willing to Do What Must Be Done. Like, Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades will definitely make Tough Choices if need be. Hell, Zeus smote a guy once for resurrecting dead people without Hades's permission just because it went against the Authority of Hades.

Odin will probably let a good portion of the World burn if it means averting the full destruction of Ragnarok. Like, make no mistake, Odin is a terrible person. He will lie, cheat, steal, frame, and outright murder if it means getting to Know All The Things.

The Tuatha are a bunch of elitists. If it keeps them in power they WILL do what needs to be done.

Even Ganesha, arguably the kindest and sweetest of the Deva, can and will throw down, and will take a weapon to the face for the sake of his Duty. Plus, there was that whole conversation between Krishna and Arjuna that basically boiled down to this:

Arjuna: But Krishna, I don't WANT to kill them, they're my family!

Krishna: Well if they didn't want to die horribly they shouldn't have been born in the Warrior Caste. Look, dude, they're all already dead, you're just helping them along the way.
    And shit, you mentioned the Teotl. They ask a big price of their worshippers but they're probably tied with the Deva in terms of how much they care about mortals. They also give just as much as they ask. Like, do you know what creating a Sun requires in the Aztec Cosmology? Self-immolation. And they're not doing that for THEIR sake. Not having a sun is just kinda inconvenient for them. They've been through four other Suns before, and they're on Number Five. HUMANITY needs the sun a lot more than they do, as the sun keeps away the demons that want to kill all mortals.

You don't NEED the Mythos to get full "What Needs To Be Done". They don't really work for that and they're really not needed. And it doesn't really fit their entire image. There's no Greater Good with the Mythos Outer Gods, to my understanding. They just Are. Trying to make them Essential or Fill A Vital Role is kind of missing the point. There is no Plan. There's no Greater Part that humanity plays in.

Another idea we talked about was the Mythos Scions also can't help what they are. Their natures will grow and warp them, and they have to try and steer that. If they know they are corrupted and and will corrupt everything around them, why not try and use that corruption to undermine the "real" bad guys.
    I'd be very surprised if this weren't the default assumption in the Mask of the Mythos book... But again, that one takes the more sensible approach of the Lovecraft Elders being the only Gods in the setting. Which, IMO, is the only way they work.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X