Therianthrope Roles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Therianthrope Roles

They are listed as Supernatural Origin paths, but these seem like they might be more a society/pantheon path to me since most therianthropes aren't born (like Kitsune or Satyr) they are usually made. Jaguar Shamans, Lycaon, even the berserkers of Norse mythology are all various forms. Is there any mandate to limit these to origin?

Originally posted by JohanDracys View Post
    They are listed as Supernatural Origin paths, but these seem like they might be more a society/pantheon path to me since most therianthropes aren't born (like Kitsune or Satyr) they are usually made. Jaguar Shamans, Lycaon, even the berserkers of Norse mythology are all various forms. Is there any mandate to limit these to origin?
    I'll be honest, in Scion (unlike Trinity, where Paths have ratings) it doesn't super matter which it is. Just have one of your Paths justify taking it as your Calling, or one of your Callings (if you're a Scion).
    Last edited by glamourweaver; 05-13-2019, 06:49 PM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Do you have a concrete example that you want to build on?
      ​Therianthropes are so varied in their .... everything depending on from which culture they are from that it is difficult (for me at least) to offer help.
      Like is the therianthropy a curse on the character? Were they born therianthrope? Or was the therianthrope thing sparked with them becoming a scion?
      I can see a way to make a character with all those different options quite easily.
      And there are probably more that i'm not thinking of.

Currently running: Scion 2nd Edition. Les Légendes Currently playing: Being a dad for a 2year old daughter and a newborn son.

Comment

Originally posted by Maitrecorbo View Post
        Do you have a concrete example that you want to build on?
        ​Therianthropes are so varied in their .... everything depending on from which culture they are from that it is difficult (for me at least) to offer help.
        Like is the therianthropy a curse on the character? Were they born therianthrope? Or was the therianthrope thing sparked with them becoming a scion?
        I can see a way to make a character with all those different options quite easily.
        And there are probably more that i'm not thinking of.
        I'm prepping as a storyguide and trying to understand systematics. The versatility you just described was my problem. A Najavo skinwalker or South American Shaman might be a therianthrope capable of shifting their form through ritual, while the Greek story of King Lycoan is clearly a curse, and Norse Berserkers could be born or initiated by society (depending on your interpretations of the lore).

Comment

It's not really an issue of which you override as long as you keep your pantheon path free for if you become a scion, you can even just have therianthrope as a 4th path.

Genius templates (for Demon: the Descent)

Comment

A Najavo skinwalker or South American Shaman might be a therianthrope capable of shifting their form through ritual, while the Greek story of King Lycoan is clearly a curse, and Norse Berserkers could be born or initiated by society (depending on your interpretations of the lore).
            So... what's a problem? If I understand Path mechanics correctly, for each 'origin' of therioanothropy you just build appropiate Path ( or hack existing ones ). We would end with things like:
            • Rituals of Animals Path for Najavo and Shamans
            • Curse of Lycoan Path for Greek werewolves
            • Odin's Berserker Path for Norse Berserkers

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
            LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

So... what's a problem? If I understand Path mechanics correctly, for each 'origin' of therioanothropy you just build appropiate Path ( or hack existing ones ). We would end with things like:
              • Rituals of Animals Path for Najavo and Shamans
              • Curse of Lycoan Path for Greek werewolves
              • Odin's Berserker Path for Norse Berserkers

The problem is I come from a background where the rule book actually had...rules... and the labels they applied to things actually...mattered. It's one of the greatest issues I've been having with this book where basically everything in it is a suggestion (and not in the typical way most tables house rule a game to make work for their tables.)

Therianthropes are labeled are Supernatural Origin Path. If it was just a Path, I could figure this out on my own, but since they label themselves as as Origin paths specifically, it makes me identify them as such.

Comment

Origin Paths are about how the past formed your character into who they are. They aren't always going to be your childhood/young adult life.

Growing up being trained in ritual practices to culminate in bonding to a spirit animal? Origin. It's not what you do with that formative experience, or who you do it for.

Cursed with lycantrophy? Same deal, that was the moment that changed your life, and formed you into who you are now, whatever that is.

Origin Path isn't birth. The example Origin Paths literally include being created, or being raised in a specific sub-culture. Origin Paths are your formative past.

The rule book has plenty of rules, and the labels actually matter. But you do have to pay attention to what they do.

Comment

I'm prepping as a storyguide and trying to understand systematics. The versatility you just described was my problem. A Najavo skinwalker or South American Shaman might be a therianthrope capable of shifting their form through ritual, while the Greek story of King Lycoan is clearly a curse, and Norse Berserkers could be born or initiated by society (depending on your interpretations of the lore).
                  You mean you want to make multiple npcs that work with the theme of a therianthrope ? Even easier.
                  All those you described, have the Shapeshifter flair (Origin, p. 150). Then you add different qualities and flairs to match the different types. Like Seeing Red (Origin, p. 149) turn the npc in a frenzied state so that work well with the Norse Berseker.
                  In the end, if anything, antagonists and npcs are even easier to build than characters.

Hope this help
                  Last edited by Maitrecorbo; 05-14-2019, 11:34 AM.

Currently running: Scion 2nd Edition. Les Légendes Currently playing: Being a dad for a 2year old daughter and a newborn son.

Comment

I honestly would say the Denizen Path should be a 4th path for all, not getting any skill dots on character creation, but allowing to get some Knacks as described. Humans would have it too, but, as it gives no skills and humans have no natural knacks its gets just... ignored...

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
                      I honestly would say the Denizen Path should be a 4th path for all, not getting any skill dots on character creation, but allowing to get some Knacks as described. Humans would have it too, but, as it gives no skills and humans have no natural knacks its gets just... ignored...
                      You don’t need a fourth Path. 3 paths are already more than enough to cover the overlapping concepts in question.

Comment

The problem is I come from a background where the rule book actually had...rules... and the labels they applied to things actually...mattered. It's one of the greatest issues I've been having with this book where basically everything in it is a suggestion (and not in the typical way most tables house rule a game to make work for their tables.)

Therianthropes are labeled are Supernatural Origin Path. If it was just a Path, I could figure this out on my own, but since they label themselves as as Origin paths specifically, it makes me identify them as such.
                        What you’ve said you want doesn’t contradict being an Origin Path though. Origin just refers to your background, not necessarily your birth. Being a “Pantheon/Society” Path would create much more of a problem as that would take the slot needed for your Pantheon!

If this is for NPCs, just use qualities and flairs. That’s what they’re there for.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
                          Origin Paths are about how the past formed your character into who they are. They aren't always going to be your childhood/young adult life.

Growing up being trained in ritual practices to culminate in bonding to a spirit animal? Origin. It's not what you do with that formative experience, or who you do it for.

Cursed with lycantrophy? Same deal, that was the moment that changed your life, and formed you into who you are now, whatever that is.

Origin Path isn't birth. The example Origin Paths literally include being created, or being raised in a specific sub-culture. Origin Paths are your formative past.

The rule book has plenty of rules, and the labels actually matter. But you do have to pay attention to what they do.

Except I could imagine a 'military brat' hitman cursed by Artemis to transform to the savagery of the beast he has becomes as a set of role descriptions to describe a Therianthrope.

His formative years were him being a military brat- never having the discipline or temperment to actually enlist, specially after washing out during boot because he lost his cool. His skills and abilities however did earn him a special niche in the criminal world in which he began to excel until he took the wrong job and managed to earn the ire of the vengeful goddess who true to her nature cursed the man to become a beast, though in this case a werewolf.

Since Supernatural and Denizen Paths specifically state they can achieve potentially demigod legend status, advancement isn't really an obstacle if the PC wants to NOT play a Scion, which because of the Appendix creation rules makes clear isn't a requirement. It appears to be a valid option to just want to play a Kitsune.

This is why my question exists.

Comment

Except I could imagine a 'military brat' hitman cursed by Artemis to transform to the savagery of the beast he has becomes as a set of role descriptions to describe a Therianthrope.
                            You only get three Paths. I can imagine a character that could qualify for nine of them if I wanted.

You pick one that has the greatest impact on your character's story, and in general the ones that give you supernatural powers are going to trump the mundane ones.

Since Supernatural and Denizen Paths specifically state they can achieve potentially demigod legend status, advancement isn't really an obstacle if the PC wants to NOT play a Scion, which because of the Appendix creation rules makes clear isn't a requirement. It appears to be a valid option to just want to play a Kitsune.
                            That's variable. Some of them can, some of them can't. A Kitsune might be able to keep up with Demigods, but a Satyr is going to fall behind. Though realistically, they're there far more for either (a) games that don't intend to follow the Scion Legend advancement arc, or (b) Scions that have interesting quirks.

This is why my question exists.
                            I honestly don't follow how.

Comment

Actually you can have multiple paths, there is a line (not sure if it’s on Scion or TC) that says you can have as many as you want, but after a point you (player) will have difficulties on handling all the aspects of the character. In the character sheet there is space for 5 paths...

Let’s get the Military Brat Detective, that’s what define him, later he is bitten by a werewolf and became one, that’s not going to change what he is, it may change the way he sees the world. If it changes it will became his origin path, if he stop being a detective to became a savage hunter, it would be his Role path, and if he became a member of a pack of werewolf’s it could became his society path. If nothing change in his way to deal with the world (it’s a bit weird, but let’s say) it can be a 4th path, it will not be his primary, secondary or tertiary path, actually will not give him any advantage, other than allow him to get some special knacks.

Comment

Working...
                              X