Therianthrope Roles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post

You only get three Paths. I can imagine a character that could qualify for nine of them if I wanted.

You pick one that has the greatest impact on your character's story, and in general the ones that give you supernatural powers are going to trump the mundane ones.

That's variable. Some of them can, some of them can't. A Kitsune might be able to keep up with Demigods, but a Satyr is going to fall behind. Though realistically, they're there far more for either (a) games that don't intend to follow the Scion Legend advancement arc, or (b) Scions that have interesting quirks.

I honestly don't follow how.
    Using my phone so not really able to parse the quote sorry.

To the #of paths: in my example I did choose 3 and narratively justified them.

Regardless of end cap (which the book still says can be surpassed with ‘help’) the book still leaves supernatural paths available as PC options.

And my question exists because of the example 3 role choices I gave. In a game entirely about concept and narrative, what if the player doesn’t “want” to play an actual Scion. Which would mean that the relationship with their pantheon would be different. It’s not my parent is and some interpretation of those aspects (or rejection of).

Comment

Originally posted by JohanDracys View Post
      To the #of paths: in my example I did choose 3 and narratively justified them.
      And you didn't follow the rules (don't you want rules? wasn't that an explicit complaint you just made, not having rules about things instead of guidelines?) by not choosing your Paths in a fashion that follows them.

Regardless of end cap (which the book still says can be surpassed with ‘help’) the book still leaves supernatural paths available as PC options.
      Sure. I don't really see how it's relevant though. There's no reason to deny people that ability to play them, esp. since they can also be Scions, but the game warns that they're likely going to fall behind Scions in the default Legend arc of the game. That doesn't really matter to how you represent them with Paths.

Which would mean that the relationship with their pantheon would be different. It’s not my parent is and some interpretation of those aspects (or rejection of).
      I don't see how this changes anything. Scions aren't all children of their Pantheon's deities, nor do they like their Pantheon of origin and stick with them. This isn't a unique difference between Scions and Denizens.

You still need to pick a Pantheon to know what mythology your character is tied to.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post

And you didn't follow the rules (don't you want rules? wasn't that an explicit complaint you just made, not having rules about things instead of guidelines?) by not choosing your Paths in a fashion that follows them.

Sure. I don't really see how it's relevant though. There's no reason to deny people that ability to play them, esp. since they can also be Scions, but the game warns that they're likely going to fall behind Scions in the default Legend arc of the game. That doesn't really matter to how you represent them with Paths.

I don't see how this changes anything. Scions aren't all children of their Pantheon's deities, nor do they like their Pantheon of origin and stick with them. This isn't a unique difference between Scions and Denizens.

You still need to pick a Pantheon to know what mythology your character is tied to.
        You are literally making my point for me about why I’m asking why Therianthrope is an origin and can’t be another form of path as well.

Comment

You are literally making my point for me about why I’m asking why Therianthrope is an origin and can’t be another form of path as well.
          It can if you can justify it. And then you went on a row about how "Oh this game sucks because the rules are adaptable and don't smack me down for trying to play outside the box, how dare it work to enable creative character ideas? In my day we had books that would stab you for trying to house rule them at all"

NEXT QUESTION

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

I have no idea how:

Origin Paths sum up background and what it's taught your character.

Role Paths are what your character is doing now.

Society/Pantheon Paths are who you're working as part of and how that inter-plays with mythology on a few levels.

Supernatural Paths are in the baseline normal rules Origin Paths for the following reasons:

1) They're about your character's history, not their present or their allegiances. Now, there are obviously stories one could tell where they're not the past for a character, but Scion sets the base-line for them farther along their journey so they're on the same level as Scions for as long as they can be.

2) Having them be Origin Paths ensures that being such a creature doesn't overly define your character. "Therianthrope" isn't a Role. It's not something you do. Are you an occult research trying to cure your condition? An actor trying to live their life when your nature doesn't take control? Etc. Those are Role Paths, which is why Therianthrope shouldn't be one; you still need to define what your Theriantrope actually does besides exist. Similarly, just being one doesn't make you part of a Pantheon. You still need to define your relationship to the divine world around you beyond being a Therianthrope. Maybe Artemis cursed you and you accept your position as part of Theoi myth, legend, and fate... or maybe fuck her and her Pantheon's dedication to Titanomachy and you're off to go join up with the Manitou hoping they can help you. So they can't be Society/Pantheon either.

3) It makes sure Scions can be Therianthropes too.

As Kyman said, you can always house rule them into other Path types. Go nuts. But the logic for why they are what they are mechanically is there to use as is if you don't want to do that.

Comment

In Origin it seems pretty clear that legendary critters have their critter type as a Calling as well as an Origin Path. In Hero it says it’s a Calling and a Role Path. Is that a mistake?

Comment

They are listed as Supernatural Origin paths, but these seem like they might be more a society/pantheon path to me since most therianthropes aren't born (like Kitsune or Satyr) they are usually made. Jaguar Shamans, Lycaon, even the berserkers of Norse mythology are all various forms. Is there any mandate to limit these to origin?

From what I read, Origin doesn't really go into explicit detail about how one becomes a Therianthrope. Unlike in 1st edition, where it was a Titan altered version of rabies.

That suggests that the way someone actually becomes a Therianthrope can vary between individuals, and your Origin story might detail how you go about doing so.

ALSO: it is important to remember that it is generally considered rare for Supernatural Paths to also become Scions. This was explicitly stated in Origin. So their role / path may work differently than those of a proper Scion.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

From what I read, Origin doesn't really go into explicit detail about how one becomes a Therianthrope. Unlike in 1st edition, where it was a Titan altered version of rabies.

That suggests that the way someone actually becomes a Therianthrope can vary between individuals, and your Origin story might detail how you go about doing so.

ALSO: it is important to remember that it is generally considered rare for Supernatural Paths to also become Scions. This was explicitly stated in Origin. So their role / path may work differently than those of a proper Scion.
                  I assume you just use the various methods described in myth. Berserkers are those who wore the bear shirt, so wearing a magical bearskin, and Sigurd wore Wolf Pelts and ran as a werewolf in the woods for part of his life.

And maybe have a generic Western style European Werewolf so they can maybe bite people and they can Turn into one, or the children of one becomes a werewolf. Or the 7th son of a 7th son becomes a werewolf.

The novel Moondance is pretty great and in that setting all those methods, and even drinking water from a paw print could potentially make you a werewolf.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                    I assume you just use the various methods described in myth. Berserkers are those who wore the bear shirt, so wearing a magical bearskin, and Sigurd wore Wolf Pelts and ran as a werewolf in the woods for part of his life.

And maybe have a generic Western style European Werewolf so they can maybe bite people and they can Turn into one, or the children of one becomes a werewolf. Or the 7th son of a 7th son becomes a werewolf.

The novel Moondance is pretty great and in that setting all those methods, and even drinking water from a paw print could potentially make you a werewolf.

I also found a Russian spell on the internet that involves:

1 - Finding a fallen tree in the forest.

2 - Stabbing it with a copper knife.

3 - Circling the fallen tree while reciting the necessary incantation.

4 - Jumping back and forth over the tree three times.

Complete all the steps in order, and you transform into a wolf!

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

I also found a Russian spell on the internet that involves:

1 - Finding a fallen tree in the forest.

2 - Stabbing it with a copper knife.

3 - Circling the fallen tree while reciting the necessary incantation.

4 - Jumping back and forth over the tree three times.

Complete all the steps in order, and you transform into a wolf!
                      Wow don't try this at home kids!

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Note to self; aquire a copper knife

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Working...
                        X