No announcement yet.

The "Titanomachy" Supplement Was Just Announced

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think we can pretty successfully divide the Scion concept of God-Titan-Primordial away from the Theoi-centric perspective with great ease though. I would suggest that the books have already been doing this, such as with the development of the political division of Titans and Gods.

While Titan-Theoi-Protogenoi is a very Theoi centered conception of things, I think it as a paradigm it is useful beyond just the Theoi. Rather than forcing other Pantheons to follow the Theoi image of things, we can just shrug and go, 'Okay here is the loose concept of these three classes of beings, each Pantheon sets their own internal standards for what qualifies for each of these things' more or less. Danu, Bolg, Fintan, Fomor, and the other progenitor-ancestors make great Túatha Dé Primordials for instance, all that we need to do to accept them as Primordials is accept that they don't need to follow a Theoi-centric system, even if the system was originally based on the Theoi.

I think one of the great things about Scion is its willingness to accept the complex and not make concessions where one Pantheon dominates the rest. While it is more wishy washy and unclear on a wide scale, it makes the individual Pantheons work quite well!

Scion 2e Homebrew Projects:
    The Šiuneš, the Pantheon of the Hittite Empire, The Enduri: the Pantheon of the Manchu Peoples, The Sgā’na Qeda’s: the Pantheon of the Haida First Nation, The Abosom: The Pantheon of the Ashanti, Lebor Óe In Dea: an Expansion for the Túatha Dé Danann, The Zemi: The Pantheon of the Taíno People(s).

Comment

"Look we're calling them Titans for the sake of terminology even if it's not universally applicable, much in the same way we're using Pantheon, a distinctively Greek word, to refer to groups of Gods (and sometimes not-Gods, like the Tuatha) united by a shared cosmology. And sometimes there's some wiggle room."

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

I just wish we had different words for metaphysical titans and political titans. Obviously many beings would be both (Apep, Surtr, Ah Puch, etc) but it’s weird that Helios (metaphysical Titan consumes by the Sun purview, but politically part of the Theoi) and most Fomorians (not metaphysically defines by a Purview, but politically arrayed against the Tuatha) get the same term.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
          I just wish we had different words for metaphysical titans and political titans. Obviously many beings would be both (Apep, Surtr, Ah Puch, etc) but it’s weird that Helios (metaphysical Titan consumes by the Sun purview, but politically part of the Theoi) and most Fomorians (not metaphysically defines by a Purview, but politically arrayed against the Tuatha) get the same term.
          That is a point that really bothers me. Actually, to properly play the game you have to ignore the original Meaning of Titan and work strictly on the political meaning.

Same for Primordial, Primordial is a guy that was born from nothing, but not all the progenitors are essentially primordials just because he/she is the first of the pantheon/myth. It seams TDD primordial is not exactally a primordial, just a progenitor, while Ymir is the only primordial for the Aesir, even not being related to them directly. Yet, we probably must consider Primordial = progenitor to better understand the meaning.

The proper answer to “Hello There” is, obviously, “General Kenobi”.
          Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
          https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product.../Fists-of-Flux

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
            Ymir is the only primordial for the Aesir, .
            Before Ymir emerged from the ice there was Surt with his sword in Muspelheim. Buri also emerged from the ice, licked free by Audhumla. The unanswered question is where did Audhumla come from and where did she go?

Comment

On a note not found elsewhere in the thread, I vaguely recall there used to be talk about a 'Titanborn' calling so you could play Scions of Titans.

Regardless of whether that early idea carried on, i would like to see mechanical support for playing the children of Titans, even if means being more 'monstrous'. In fact, that makes it more appealing to be honest.

Given the title of the book, we might see some of that here. Even though the rules for Titans will have to wait until Scion: God 2e is out.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Originally posted by FallenEco View Post
                On a note not found elsewhere in the thread, I vaguely recall there used to be talk about a 'Titanborn' calling so you could play Scions of Titans.

Regardless of whether that early idea carried on, i would like to see mechanical support for playing the children of Titans, even if means being more 'monstrous'. In fact, that makes it more appealing to be honest.

Given the title of the book, we might see some of that here. Even though the rules for Titans will have to wait until Scion: God 2e is out.
                Hold on, I have some tidbits from the Scuttlebutt... Titan(ic) Callings!
                • Adversary
                • Destroyer
                • Monster
                • Primeval
                • Tyrant
                Now, I say Titanic because last I heard, quite a few of these Callings can be applied to some Gods in the Hero book (Shiva with Destroyer, for instance), and some Gods in the Demigod book will have some of them.

So yeah, inherit a Calling from your Patron, inherit their Purview, maybe something with the Virtues, bing bang boom Titan Scion.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Working...
                X