Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does defense work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How does defense work?

    Forgive me if this has been covered before, but how does defense work? Do you roll once per combat and the successes become your defense, or do you roll every time you're attacked, or only roll the first time you are attacked and then you're screwed? Not sure how this mechanic is applied.

  • #2
    Originally posted by shadryx View Post
    Forgive me if this has been covered before, but how does defense work? Do you roll once per combat and the successes become your defense, or do you roll every time you're attacked, or only roll the first time you are attacked and then you're screwed? Not sure how this mechanic is applied.
    Once a round if attacked. If attacked twice or more times, roll just once.
    Reason for this is simple, you can spend the successes to do stunts other than raise defence, and in this case, you would be able to do it only in the first round.

    Comment


    • #3
      Just to say the same thing slightly differently:

      The first time you get attacked in a round, you roll defense. This roll sets your Defense for the rest of the round, but successes can also be used on Stunts. So you have to make a choice of "do fancy thing," or "have more Defense against this first attack and any other attack." You still keep the Defense from your first roll for the rest of the round. It's not like the old WoD system where you had to roll a defense against every attack or they got to attack you without penalty.

      Comment


      • #4
        Remember that your Defense starts at 1, so even if you roll nothing on the Defense Roll your defense isn't nothing.


        Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
          Remember that your Defense starts at 1, so even if you roll nothing on the Defense Roll your defense isn't nothing.

          Just occured to me: So, if an Attacker rolls 0 successes in his attack roll, the attack automatically misses?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Hayashi View Post


            Just occured to me: So, if an Attacker rolls 0 successes in his attack roll, the attack automatically misses?

            The attack will also miss with just 1 success. You need to exceed Defense in order to hit.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by That Old Tree View Post


              The attack will also miss with just 1 success. You need to exceed Defense in order to hit.
              No, the attack hit if you have successes = defense, BUT can only do 0 successes stunts, so can only cause injury if the target is not wearing any armor, or disarm a target unaware and holding the weapon loosely, or things like that, as you don’t have any extra successes to spend.

              If you ROLL 0 successes, you can’t even add the enhancements to the attack (or any action) and miss... If you have no successes and at least one dice shows 1, you botch and gain extra momentum.

              Comment


              • #8
                OK, thanks! It makes sense now.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

                  No, the attack hit if you have successes = defense, BUT can only do 0 successes stunts, so can only cause injury if the target is not wearing any armor, or disarm a target unaware and holding the weapon loosely, or things like that, as you don’t have any extra successes to spend.
                  I think this is important to note, as I have seen confusion a few times. Storypath states you must meet (not exceed) the difficulty of a task.
                  However, in the Attacking subsection of Origin (pg 116) it states

                  Originally posted by Attacking, Origin, 116
                  "If you roll enough successes to exceed their Defense, your attack succeeds. After succeeding, you may spend additional successes to apply Stunts...
                  However, the reason the Inflict Injury stunt is 0 is for when you would meet an attacker's defense and have nothing excess for stunts.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X