Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Neoplatonism, Gnostism, and Hermetism in Scion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Neoplatonism, Gnostism, and Hermetism in Scion

    How would you guess handle Neoplatonism, Gnostism and Hermetism in Scion 2e?

  • #2
    If you mean magic with big effects, same level as the Marvels, I have an adaptation os Hermetic Magic from Ars Magica to Storypath (specifically Trinity, but easy to adapt).

    http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...-for-storypath

    If you think about it on a more subtle way, closer to the magic concepts in real world Gnostism and Hermeticism, than you must think them as part of the Occult Skill. How exactly it would work depends on how much flavour and how much flash you want magic have.

    Comment


    • #3
      I was actually more refering to Theologically. The Neoplatonic conception/theological understanding of the Gods such as the Theoi is very different the Epic Poems.

      Comment


      • #4
        They exist. Nothing really changes aside from there being figures that some other people call gods. Some gnostic groups see the gods as archons of the demiurge.


        Genius templates (for Demon: the Descent)

        Rakshasa: the Kingdom (Featuring the Extinction Chronicle) [WIP]

        Comment


        • #5
          The Gnostics revere Aeons, perhaps an Aeon Pantheon would be interesting, much less Anthromorphized.

          Neoplatonism is different from Gnostism, the Gods of various Pantheons are worshipped by the Neoplatonists. But the Gods have Archangels and Angels, Cosmic and Hylic Archons, and more in Neoplatonism.

          Hermetism is similar.

          I would love to see a supplement on these deep religions and their applications to Scion 2e.

          Comment


          • #6
            Nothing really changes adding an Aeon Pantheon, unless there's ALSO a Mal'akhim Pantheon - we don't really have another example of 2 different Pantheons built on the same mythic foundation with opposing cosmological views like that. Do you include the Demiurge as a distinct figure in the Aeon cosmology? Or are they just at odds with the Mal'akhim and their chief divinity as being the Demiurge? If the Fallen of Christian Demonology also exist, how do they play into this?


            Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
              Nothing really changes adding an Aeon Pantheon, unless there's ALSO a Mal'akhim Pantheon - we don't really have another example of 2 different Pantheons built on the same mythic foundation with opposing cosmological views like that. Do you include the Demiurge as a distinct figure in the Aeon cosmology? Or are they just at odds with the Mal'akhim and their chief divinity as being the Demiurge? If the Fallen of Christian Demonology also exist, how do they play into this?
              All good questions. I curious how devs would handle it.

              Comment


              • #8
                I had to look up the Mal'akhim, it's means angels I believe. If you have both a Mal'akhim and Aeons Pantheons, and a Hypercosmic Pantheon that would be interesting.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post

                  All good questions. I curious how devs would handle it.
                  How the devs would handle it is “not touching it with a ten foot pole”.

                  We are in homebrew country.


                  Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post
                    I had to look up the Mal'akhim, it's means angels I believe. If you have both a Mal'akhim and Aeons Pantheons, and a Hypercosmic Pantheon that would be interesting.
                    If I understand what you are referencing with the term “hypercosmic”, that’s in the realm of philosophy well outside the purview of myth and legend, and thus would not have a distinct pantheon.


                    Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It interacts with Mythology. Neoplatonism was the unification of ancient Mythology, Theology, Philosophy, ect...

                      It was based on a mix of the Chaldean Oracles, Orphitism and other myster religion teachings with philosodphical teachings, obviously Plato, but with Neopythagreons, Stoics, and Aristolian influences ect...

                      It did refer at times to Mythology.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X