Sorcery?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorcery?

Do we know where the full rules for sorcery and the sorcerer paths will be released, I remember seeing that sorcerer paths and the rules for being a sorcerer from origins level on had to be taken out as they'd grown too big, but I don't know which if any of the future books will add them in? Mysteries of the world maybe?

NPC Sorcery is covered by the Flair in Origins + Purviews in Hero.

Player character “Sorcery” (as opposed to general Scion ritual “magic” which is covered by PSPs and other Purviews combined with Pantheon Motifs) was cut specifically because it was shaping up viable enough to be a full compelling character type and it needed more in-depth coverage than it could be given here. Expect it’s own supplement somewhere down the line. Basically Sorcery in this context refers to TAKING power from the gods without being Chosen or having a birth-claim.
    Last edited by glamourweaver; 06-12-2019, 11:00 AM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
      NPC Sorcery is covered by the Flair in Origins + Purviews in Hero.

Player character “Sorcery” (as opposed to general Scion ritual “magic” which is covered by PSPs and other Purviews combined with Pantheon Motifs) was cut specifically because it was shaping up viable enough to be a full compelling character type it needed more in-depth coverage than it could be given here. Expect it’s own supplement somewhere down the line. Basically Sorcery in this context refers to the power to TAKE power from the gods without being Chosen or having a birth-claim.
      That's why I'm excited, It sounded really amazing, both for scion and possibly for use in other storypath games, I was hoping it might be included one of the currently upcoming books but it seems that's not the case.

Comment

They might be waiting till after God so they can do the whole power-curve in one book (Baba Yaga being an example of a Sorcerer who reached the God end of the powerscale)

Comment

Basically Sorcery in this context refers to the power to TAKE power from the gods without being Chosen or having a birth-claim.
          Ah, good! That's exactly my own outlook regarding the existence and use of magic, as well!

The whole "manipulating fate" thing that was the Magic purview in 1st edition didn't offer a whole lot in the ways of custom Boons, without things becoming redundant.
          Last edited by Nyrufa; 06-11-2019, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
            The whole "manipulating fate" thing that was the Magic purview in 1st edition didn't offer a whole lot in the ways of custom Boons, without things becoming redundant.
            1E's Magic Purview was dumb. And I personally think making a General Magic Purview isn't a good idea, since for there to be one you have to ask yourself "What even IS magic?" and then you realize there's as many answers as there are people in the world. Honestly, I think Marvels using Cultural Motifs is how to represent Magic. Given that the basic Sorcerer antagonists seem to mostly use Relics and stolen power to weave Marvels. So I figure there will be Knacks that help with Marvels, when Sorcerer Paths show up.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

Ah, good! That's exactly my own outlook regarding the existence and use of magic, as well!
              Just to keep our terms accurate: sorcery. “Magic” is a broader term that includes the PSPs primarily and pretty much any supernatural power combined with the right Motif more generally. Sorcery is stealing divine power to weave Marvels.

Comment

Just to keep our terms accurate: sorcery. “Magic” is a broader term that includes the PSPs primarily and pretty much any supernatural power combined with the right Motif more generally. Sorcery is stealing divine power to weave Marvels.

Right, but you get what I mean, though?

Comment

Until we get full rules, I'm just going to allow Occult skill to do some minor magic that isn't fully under your control with difficultly based on how hard achieving the thing without magic would be.

Genius templates (for Demon: the Descent)

Rakshasa: the Kingdom (Featuring the Extinction Chronicle) [WIP]

Comment

I recently came across a description of multiple spells and magical effects from German folklore. I can hardly wait to write them up for Scion...

Sunken Castles, Evil Poodles is creating Public Domain translations of German folklore!

A German Geek - my gaming blog!

Comment

Working...
                    X