Supernatural Path Ideas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supernatural Path Ideas?

This might be a bit premature, what with Demigod and God still being worked on. But after purchasing Origin, I've just felt inspired to create a thread discussing possible ideas for Supernatural Paths, or variations of Supernatural Paths.

To start with, here's what I have for an idea about playable Minotaurs!

----------------------------------------

Modified Satyr: Minotaur

"I don't know where people got the idea that minotaurs enjoy labyrinths. Would you say criminals enjoy prison?"

The bull headed man eaters of Greek mythology are said to have been accidentally created by Poseidon himself when he attempted to show his favor to King Minos of Crete. Growing to be massive in both power and savagery, the king had no choice but to lock his so called "gift" away until it could be safely dealt with. Since then, these huge, brutish creatures have become infamously known patrolling mazes and devouring those who happen to become lost within their twisting paths.

In truth, however, the minotaurs are no more fans of being stuck in a labyrinth than anybody else. The original labyrinth was designed to trap the minotaur until a Demigod could slay them, after all. What these bovine barbarians actually desire is the freedom to indulge their more primal urges for violence, meat and carnal pleasures. Unfortunately, such behavior often results in them being shunned and ostracized by civilized communities. So they rarely get along with anyone who doesn't likewise seek to rage against societal expectations.

Connections: violent punks, worshipers of Poseidon, architectural designers.

Skills: Survival, Athletics

Knacks: Most Dangerous Prey (Hunter Knack), Worrying Hound (Hunter Knack), Raging Bull (custom Knack)

Raging Bull: As the Shieldmaiden Knack, Berserk. When you take an Injury Condition, you fly into a rage. For the duration of combat, you gain +1 Enhancement on all attack rolls, but can not distinguish friend from foe.
    Last edited by Nyrufa; 06-20-2019, 05:31 PM. Reason: Removed the Enhanced Impact Knack. Didn't feel like it was prominent to the Minotaur mythos.

I have barely started with reading the Scion rules, but from German folklore you might have Sunday Children ("Sonntagskind") who can perceive the supernatural, or Walrider, who can send their souls out of their bodies and work magic elsewhere.

Sunken Castles, Evil Poodles is creating Public Domain translations of German folklore!

A German Geek - my gaming blog!

Comment

Now I'm thinking that Changelings might also be a good Supernatural Path idea.

I mean the swapped at birth Changelings, not the WoD ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
        Now I'm thinking that Changelings might also be a good Supernatural Path idea.

I mean the swapped at birth Changelings, not the WoD ones.
        Nyrfa, quick write-up from your template:

Changeling ( Legends )

You've been swapped at birth by the Fey creatures ( like Aos Si in Ireland ) for goblin in your crib and taken to Fairy Realm. You returned to mortal world now, but you cannot find your place in it.

Connections: homeless, neo-pagans, woodsman

Skills: Survival, Persuasion

Knacks: ???

Raised by Fey: By the years spent with elves, you are great at understanding and controlling emotions. You gain +1 Enhancement on all Persuasion checks to convince others to your point.
        Last edited by wyrdhamster; 06-18-2019, 05:48 PM.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
        LGBT+ through Ages
        LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

Nyrfa, quick write-up from your template:

Changeling ( Legends )

You've been swapped at birth by the Fey creatures ( like Aos Si in Ireland ) for goblin in your crib and taken to Fairy Realm. You returned to mortal world now, but you cannot find your place in it.

Connections: homeless, neo-pagans, woodsman

Skills: Survival, Persuasion

Knacks: ???

Raised by Fey: By the years spent with elves, you are great at understanding and controlling emotions. You gain +1 Enhancement on all Persuasion checks to convince others to your point.

I was thinking more along the lines of you playing as the fairy, rather than the human (it's a Supernatural Path, after all). From what I've looked into about the lore, the Changeling is disguised by means of a fairy charm. Which gradually wears off over time.

My thought is that your Legend begins once the charm is finally depleted, and your true heritage reveals itself.

Comment

Yeah, Changelings are the replacements, there is no name in the traditional folklore of Changelings about what happens to the human replacements. None of the ones who come back exhibit supernatural powers except for some very recent folklore about Fairy Doctors (mortal physicians taken away to work for the 'fairies' in Ireland, and return with secret knowledge), but that's well over a thousand years past the Áos Síde. Fetch is the term for these replacements in Scottish Folklore, Changeling: the Lost just decided they were different things.

I have a fully written Changeling Denizen Path in a project I finished last summer and plan to put up on the Storyteller Nexus when it's up and running, has folklore details, examples from Irish saga material, and a list of Knacks and the sort.
            Last edited by Watcher; 06-19-2019, 01:05 AM.

Scion 2e Homebrew Projects:
            The Šiuneš, the Pantheon of the Hittite Empire, The Enduri: the Pantheon of the Manchu Peoples, The Sgā’na Qeda’s: the Pantheon of the Haida First Nation, The Abosom: The Pantheon of the Ashanti, Lebor Óe In Dea: an Expansion for the Túatha Dé Danann.

Comment

Modified Cu Sith: Enchanted Animal

"Damn it, Sparrow, if you want to be part of the princess' entourage, you need to learn to sing on key! Now once more, from the top!"

For as long as mortals have told Legends around the camp fire, there have been stories of unusually intelligent animals performing deeds that should otherwise be impossible for such creatures. These 'enchanted animals' as they have come to be known in the mythical community have historically played only minor roles and bit parts to the accomplishments of humans. But this began to change over the ages, as the concept of sentient animals became more and more popular. Now, stories of such creatures have become cult classics among both children and adults throughout The World.

With the advent of mass media technology, stories of such characters as Martin the Warrior and Mrs. Brisby have become widespread enough that they became comparable to Heroes in their own right. And even if they never reach the same level of potential as a Scion, their deeds afford them a small measure of immortality among the Legends of earth.

As an enchanted animal, your cognitive abilities have become hyper evolved. You are now just as intelligent as the average human. Possibly more so, depending on your scholarly background. Sadly, millennia of being outshone by humans often leads to prejudice against your kind. Whether they underestimate your capabilities, treat you like a wild beast, or even display jealousy for your bestial prowess, relations between you and humans are often rocky to put it mildly. Children seem to love you, though, and you find it far easier to get along with them than you do adults.

Connections: Wilderness, Children's Fables, Shamanism

Skills: Athletics, Survival

Knacks:

Wild Speech - You can speak with (and even understand) other animals. Their level of intelligence might seem dull witted compared to your own, but it's nice to have somebody besides humans to talk to now and again.

Spontaneous Musical - For reasons which mankind will likely never understand, enchanted animals seem to have a supernatural talent for musical theater. Once per session, you may initiate a random musical number and receive a +1 Enhancement to your choice of Physical, Social or Mental Arenas for the rest of the session. Once chosen, the Enhancement can not be swapped out until the start of the next session, when this Knack may be used again.

Anthropomorphic - Your magical nature has accelerated your evolutionary development, and now you possess characteristics typically associated with humans. The degree to which this extends should be worked out with your Story Teller, but some common traits are as follows.

1: Talkative - You can speak human languages, allowing you to communicate with both man and beast alike. Without this trait, humans will only interpret your speech as random animal noises, unless they have some other way to communicate with you.

2: Manlike - Your physiology bares a striking resemblance to the human form. You have adopted a more bipedal posture, and your features below the neck have become more humanoid in shape. Your forelegs (or whatever equivalent appendage) can even wield tools, and perform complex tasks. Without this trait, you have the body structure of a regular animal.

3: Humane Diet - You have evolved beyond your primitive feeding habits, and now prefer to eat food in the same way humans do. Without this trait, you might still consume your meals raw, and possibly alive.

4: Clothed - You've developed a sense of modesty, and have taken to wearing garments to cover your body. The extent to which you clothe yourself may vary from a full ensemble, to a simple pair of gloves and shoes. Without this trait, you probably walk around in the nude.

5: Human Size - Your body structure has been scaled to that of the human form, drastically altering your size. Whether this is a blessing or a curse depends on the individual. A mouse can seem like a towering colossus to their tiny brethren, while an elephant might seem incredibly scrawny compared to theirs. Without this trait, you are the size of a normal animal.

6: Human Longevity - Your magical nature has affected your life span, slowing (or perhaps accelerating) it to the same rate as a normal human. You can now enjoy many decades of life, instead of only a few years. Without this trait, you age and die at the same rate as a typical member of your species.
              Last edited by Nyrufa; 06-25-2019, 08:50 AM.

Comment

I kind of want to make a modified Kitsune based on Anubians, but I don't enough about Egyptian mythology to do it properly.

Comment

I kind of want to make a modified Kitsune based on Anubians, but I don't enough about Egyptian mythology to do it properly.

well... I mean... if you’re worried about mythic accuracy, “Anubians” aren’t a thing. Gods are represented in art with animal heads to represent something symbolic about their nature, or because the pure animal form was something they took at times and the art is trying to represent animal and human states at ones. Anthropomorphic animal people aren’t really a thing in Egyptian myth, and even fudging that for the gods to look like how they’re represented in art, it would just be them, not any kind of Denizen races.

which is not me telling you not to do it! Just that if you’re doing it “accuracy” is not a factor.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

well... I mean... if you’re worried about mythic accuracy, “Anubians” aren’t a thing.

Ah, I wasn't completely sure. Since they've been depicted quite an awful lot in other media centered around Egyptian themed stuff. Often in the form of warriors serving the god for which they're named after.

Comment

Ah, I wasn't completely sure. Since they've been depicted quite an awful lot in other media centered around Egyptian themed stuff. Often in the form of warriors serving the god for which they're named after.
                      complete fictional invention. If you want to use them, go nuts!

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

My birthday's coming up next month.

Just bought Scion: Hero second edition.

Comment

Working...
                        X