Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two scion questions/one question and one random idea.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two scion questions/one question and one random idea.

Been reading the scion origin and hero book and i noticed something in the different types of scions section. Like when it talks about scions who are like biological children of the gods, it talks about the god in question having children with humans, creatures of legend or even animals...does that mean there could be a scion who is a cat. Like the station master cat in japan that got deified after death.((https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tama_(cat))). In the world was that cat a Scion who shed their mortal coil and become one of the Kami ?

Beyond that i see that in second ed The World is basically the opposite from wod in that people know...at least roughly speaking that the gods exist. Does that mean one could play a character who as a god autograph hunter or something and got turned into a scion after having annoyed/stalked a god into submission kinda like a paparazzi wearing down a celebrity or something .

Originally posted by Caedus View Post
    Been reading the scion origin and hero book and i noticed something in the different types of scions section. Like when it talks about scions who are like biological children of the gods, it talks about the god in question having children with humans, creatures of legend or even animals...does that mean there could be a scion who is a cat. Like the station master cat in japan that got deified after death.((https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tama_(cat))). In the world was that cat a Scion who shed their mortal coil and become one of the Kami ?

Beyond that i see that in second ed The World is basically the opposite from wod in that people know...at least roughly speaking that the gods exist. Does that mean one could play a character who as a god autograph hunter or something and got turned into a scion after having annoyed/stalked a god into submission kinda like a paparazzi wearing down a celebrity or something .

Have you read any mythology before? Gods tend to fornicate with anything that strikes their fancy. Hell, sometimes they don't even need to have sex, they just come into physical contact with something and a baby is created!

But on a more serious note, Origin does point out that non-humans can be Scions. It's just typically rare for them to do so, since I imagine the gods would hold more favor towards the creatures who closely resemble them, than they would some random animal, or monster. Remember that Scions initially start out as ordinary mortals, until some event (like the visitation) awakens the divine spark within them. So yes, there could very well be a cat walking around with divine blood in their heritage, but never awakens its power, because their parent doesn't feel incentive to pay them any attention.
    Last edited by Nyrufa; 07-03-2019, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

Have you read any mythology before? Gods tend to fornicate with anything that strikes their fancy. Hell, sometimes they don't even need to have sex, they just come into physical contact with something and a baby is created!

But on a more serious note, Origin does point out that non-humans can be Scions. It's just typically rare for them to do so, since I imagine the gods would hold more favor towards the creatures who closely resemble them, than they would some random animal, or monster. Remember that Scions initially start out as ordinary mortals, until some event (like the visitation) awakens the divine spark within them. So yes, there could very well be a cat walking around with divine blood in their heritage, but never awakens its power, because their parent doesn't feel incentive to pay them any attention.
      oh i am a classicist believe me...i know too much about certain deities mating habits.

I am still sticking with the station master cat being a scion who got deified canon

Comment

I mean some of the Theoi jumped anything that moved but that's a bit less typical of other mythologies. For instance many Kami would likely view fucking mortal beings as gross, and while the Deva have probably done a large variety of sex acts that would turn your hair gray, they are also very big on marital fidelity.

As for your idea... Sure, there's a Denizen Path for Magic Talking Dog you can use as a base. As for the concept, I'd go with a Chosen Scion of some kind of Kami.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
          I mean some of the Theoi jumped anything that moved but that's a bit less typical of other mythologies. For instance many Kami would likely view fucking mortal beings as gross, and while the Deva have probably done a large variety of sex acts that would turn your hair gray, they are also very big on marital fidelity.

As for your idea... Sure, there's a Denizen Path for Magic Talking Dog you can use as a base. As for the concept, I'd go with a Chosen Scion of some kind of Kami.

Don't forget Loki, who's the biological parent of a horse, a snake and a wolf. The last two of which seem to have just been freak accidents, rather than being intentional on his part.
          Last edited by Nyrufa; 07-03-2019, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

Don't forget Loki, who's the biological parent of a horse, a snake and a wolf. The last two of which seem to have just been freak accidents, rather than being intentional on his part.
            Loki is like Spiders George. An outlier who isn't an example of any kind of norm.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

i know that gods have fucked animals in mythology, i am more asking if animal scions are playable in the system. Not animals who have been turned into people, but if Odin shags a cat and the cat has a litter could there be a cat scion in there

Comment

It would probably depend highly on the Pantheon in question, their relationship with animals, and the degree to which they are bound to similar laws as mortals. For instance, the Túatha Dé Danann would never in a million years have sex with an animal, with the only example of such I can think of being something vaguely implied by two extremely side characters who are, either way, of low social status and thus far below what the Túatha Dé would consider to be important enough to care about. The Kami, with all their intense issues with the very notion of having sex with a mortal, would probably never do so. (In Welsh saga literature, two brothers are forced to fornicate in animal forms to produce children as sort of a nuclear bomb of punishments due to the insane degree they transgressed as another example from a Celtic language speaking population)

Nyrufa's comment about Gods having sex with anything is not entirely true for the vast majority of world mythology, there are more Pantheons in the base game that would consider having sex with a human to be hugely problematic than there are ones that think it is okay, let alone animals,

Scion 2e Homebrew Projects:
                The Šiuneš, the Pantheon of the Hittite Empire, The Enduri: the Pantheon of the Manchu Peoples, The Sgā’na Qeda’s: the Pantheon of the Haida First Nation, The Abosom: The Pantheon of the Ashanti, Lebor Óe In Dea: an Expansion for the Túatha Dé Danann.

Comment

Another thing to keep in mind is that Born are just one kind of scions. Nothing stops Ares from Choosing a particularly bloodthirsty and combative white rabbit as a scion.

Completed campaign: Scion 2nd Edition. Les Légendes Currently playing: Being a dad for a 2year old daughter anf a 1 year old son.

Comment

Yeah, for your initial idea, I think honestly a more logical thing would be for like... That honored terminal cat to attract the notice of a Kami, who deifies the cat. Mechanically I'd make this a Chosen Scion.

With a Persistent Condition of "I'm A Cat", which imposes the logical disadvantages such as being very small, or not having thumbs. Free Momentum!

Comment

I really like the idea of a small animal being a scion.
                      I'd love to run a game where all the scions of the bands are small critters.
                      A rat scion of Ganesh. A white rabbit scion of Ares... uh a hummingbird scion of huitzilopochtli. Etc etc.
                      It really is a strength of the system that this is a feasible idea. Not even hard to implement what with scale and all.

Completed campaign: Scion 2nd Edition. Les Légendes Currently playing: Being a dad for a 2year old daughter anf a 1 year old son.

Comment

Originally posted by Maitrecorbo View Post
                        I really like the idea of a small animal being a scion.
                        I'd love to run a game where all the scions of the bands are small critters.
                        A rat scion of Ganesh. A white rabbit scion of Ares... uh a hummingbird scion of huitzilopochtli. Etc etc.
                        It really is a strength of the system that this is a feasible idea. Not even hard to implement what with scale and all.

I tried to make a modified Cu Sith variant, which dealt with the concept of anthropomorphized animals.

One of their knacks is being really good at musical theater.

Comment

Working...
                        X