X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TERRA (Earth 12E2): My Scion Campaign World

Hello all,

Terra (Earth 12E2) is the Shard reality in which my Scion campaign setting will be set. The setting is inspired by my favorite mythologies, Golden Age comic books, E. Nesbit stories, Hellboy, Fables, American Gods, and a wide assortment of contemporary (Urban) fantasy stories.
    Below is my initial take on the setting.

THE UNNATURAL WORLD
    Earth 12E2 is a world where mighty strange things happen. It’s a world where not only do blatant supernatural forces definitely exist, but they’re fairly widely known. Ordinary people probably don’t encounter them at any time in their lives, and most people who know a little about the subject are quite glad of that. Strangely enough, skeptics are also numerous, with elaborate theories that explain away the supernatural, many as complex as the strangest spell.
    The gods themselves are largely forgotten as real, literal beings. They themselves mostly keep to the Otherworlds and Terra Incognita. The gods still meddle, but typically only show themselves in the disguise of mortals or natural forces. This is due largely to the forces of Fate, which causes large-scale upheaval in the world of men whenever gods throw their weight around.
    Magic is a powerful force in the world, where harnessing magic can distort and even destroy reality if not properly controlled. As well as gods and scions, immortals, and human occultists all have access to magic through ancient tomes, weird science, and secret practices.

SCIONS AND PATRONAGE
    In the world of Terra, most Scions are descendants, often many generations removed, of pairings of Gods, Demigods and Mortals. Most Scions are awakened to their supernatural blood by immortal agents of the gods or Titanspawn. Such “patronage” functions the same as the visitation aspect of Scion: Hero and quite often involves an education or even upbringing by non-humans. The most common Immortal patrons of a Scion are; Alfar, Aos Si, Amazons, Dwarves, Jarnvidjur, Kitsune, Nymphs, and Satyrs all of whom can disguise themselves as mortals (more or less). Scions who live in Terra Incognita realms might also have Centaurs, Dragons, Sphinxes, Tengu, Trolls and stranger beings as patrons.

MERITS AND FLAWS
    I will be permitting merits and flaws in my game. Most of these will be well known to Storyteller players. But some of particular interest to Scion are below.

Anachronism (1 to 3 point Flaw)
    You were raised in a primitive Terra Incognita where culture and technology is “behind the times” in one or more extreme ways and hasn't quite caught up to the present. For one point, the character is just a little out of sync. Pick any decade from the 20th or 21st century, excepting those on both sides of the current one, and set your attitudes and beliefs accordingly. For two points, pick any decade in the 17th or 19th century. For three points, pick any decade from the 16th century or before, like Bronze Age Greece or the Dark Ages, and set your attitudes and beliefs accordingly.
    This flaw can be bought off over time and with roleplaying. In the meantime, culture shock can be fun.

Taint of Corruption (7 Trait Flaw)
    Your ichor is permanently corrupted, claimed by one of the Titans as their own. Maybe you did something to earn this karma, or maybe you were the victim of a powerful curse. In any case, most Gods don't trust you: they don't want you around their scions or their minions or on their holy places. The Titans, however, is just the opposite: it's always giving you opportunities to join in on the winning side of the new Titan War, promising you freedom and power. System wise, the character will show an increase in mutations related to his or her Legend. As the scions Legend grows, so do the scions horns, tail, aura of corruption or whatever marks the scion as being titanspawn.
    This Flaw is debilitating to play: only close friends can ease your isolation. Cleansing yourself of this taint is possible in theory, but the dangerous quests involved are more likely to kill you than heal you.

Twisted Upbringing (1 Trait Flaw)
    Whether accidentally or malevolently, your teachers misled you. Almost everything you think you know about the gods and titans is wrong. When others attempt to correct you, you'll humor them at best, but you won't believe them. You'll need to buy off this Flaw before you can win any respect among the Pantheons.
    Last edited by MythAdvocate; 07-08-2019, 02:46 PM.

“Humpty had always sat on walls, it was his way.”
    Jasper Fforde, The Big Over Easy

Um, not to rain on your parade, but this bit?

Western Civilization is a metaphysical force which moves with the flow of civilization. It is the pure essence of mankind's culture and connects together everything that constitutes humanity's collective spirit and civilization. Occasionally referred to as the "flame" by immortals, demigods, and titanspawn, this force moves with the center of human prosperity and influence.
    This sounds a lot like White supremacy talk. You might want to reword it. A lot.

Comment

Hi what the fuck?

Why are the Kami part of this 'coalition' but the Tuatha, Shen (Celestial Bureaucracy), and Deva not?

Why does so much of this read like it was taken from a post that should be titled "You know is Imperialism REALLY that bad?"
      Last edited by Kyman201; 07-08-2019, 02:27 PM.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Sacerdos View Post
        Um, not to rain on your parade, but this bit?

This sounds a lot like White supremacy talk. You might want to reword it. A lot.
        You are correct. I shall do so. I was going with the messed up cultural collapse aspect. Western civilization about to collapse sort of story.

Comment

Originally posted by MythAdvocate View Post

You are correct. I shall do so. I was going with the messed up cultural collapse aspect. Western civilization about to collapse sort of story.
          Ah, see, that wasn't clear at all. You should probably preface it with something about that aspect, and make it clear that this is an artificial notion that's not meant to be seen as a positive status quo. I would also take distance from calling Western civilisation the "pure essence of mankind's culture" - because it's not, it's only ever Western, not everyone's.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
            Hi what the fuck?

Why are the Kami part of this 'coalition' but the Tuatha, Shen (Celestial Bureaucracy), and Deva not?

Why does so much of this read like it was taken from a post that should be titled "You know is Imperialism REALLY that bad?"
            I was hoping for that to be the plot. Western powers crushing other cultures and it being bad. I shall remove all of that.

Comment

Thing is that "Western Civilization" is a very artificial concept. We've never really been nearly as monolithic or united as the term implies. You generally only see it used when people are trying very hard to draw lines that aren't there.

Comment

You, uh, you didn't do a good enough job making it clear "BTW these guys are supposed to be the bad guys"

Not to mention your choices of who is in and isn't in this Western Flame makes like, no sense unless you decided that an Alliance was formed along the mortal sides of World War Two. Specifically the Axis sides.

And attributing THAT to 'Western Civilization' is another big barrel of Yikes, to be honest. If you want my advice? Take this idea and just like... Don't? There's a lot of (probably unintentional) baggage here that is far more trouble than it's worth.

Edit: I mean as it is now after the pruning, your Earth 12E2's setting is a BIT similar to the 2e setting, only 2e goes whole hog in the "The Gods are real and nobody doubts this there's no reason to hide what you are" route. So adding onto that... Buy Scion 2e and use THAT setting instead.
                Last edited by Kyman201; 07-08-2019, 02:48 PM.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

You, uh, you didn't do a good enough job making it clear "BTW these guys are supposed to be the bad guys"

Not to mention your choices of who is in and isn't in this Western Flame makes like, no sense unless you decided that an Alliance was formed along the mortal sides of World War Two. Specifically the Axis sides.

And attributing THAT to 'Western Civilization' is another big barrel of Yikes, to be honest. If you want my advice? Take this idea and just like... Don't? There's a lot of (probably unintentional) baggage here that is far more trouble than it's worth.
                  Yes. It is more trouble than it is worth. Though I initially used the exact wording of the the Percy Jackson books (which my players love) concerning the Flame of the West stuff. So I thought that was safe.

But not only shall I not use this setting, but I will not use Scion or any real-world analogue game setting. At least not for awhile.
                  Last edited by MythAdvocate; 07-08-2019, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Yes. I agree. Though I initially used the exact wording of the the Percy Jackson books (which my players love) concerning the Flame of the West stuff. So I thought that was safe.

But not only shall I not use this setting, but I will not use Scion or any real-world analogue game setting. At least not for awhile.
                    No reason to drop everything. You just stepped into some ideas and language here that have been co-opted by White supremacists, sadly (though the idea of Western civilisation was problematic to begin with). It's about fine details, in the end - for example, you didn't use the exact PJO wording, since that one never claims the flame is the product of all humanity. It is presented as just one particular way of life among many, about emulation of the Greeks and Romans in modern culture inspiring their gods to move there. And that's why I'd say Riordan's more carefully crafted concept is still less problematic (although it has aged badly) than the way you have presented things here.

Comment

No reason to drop everything. You just stepped into some ideas and language here that have been co-opted by White supremacists, sadly (though the idea of Western civilisation was problematic to begin with). It's about fine details, in the end - for example, you didn't use the exact PJO wording, since that one never claims the flame is the product of all humanity. It is presented as just one particular way of life among many, about emulation of the Greeks and Romans in modern culture inspiring their gods to move there. And that's why I'd say Riordan's more carefully crafted concept is still less problematic (although it has aged badly) than the way you have presented things here.
                      Well, I took it from a Percy Jackson wiki. And I tried to sum up the setting so as to start fleshing out a setting here. But this reaction is too potentially explosive. I never mean to offend or hurt anyone. If I can get the attention of a moderator I will take this down.

Thank you for your communication and understanding.

Comment

This bit: https://riordan.fandom.com/wiki/Western_Civilization

Comment

Irrespective of everything else, this question does remind me of a rather odd bit of trivia: Under South Africa's apartheid system, Japanese people were classified as "honorary whites", entirely so that trade deligations and business people wouldn't be turned away from the good hotels, restaurants, etc. Said status was also given to Taiwanese, but not to ethnically Chinese people native to South Africa (who were still classified as Asian). And it was extended to certain celebrity types of African and Asian lineage, including Arthur Ashe, who told them to f--- off. But this sort of bizarre mental gymnastics was frequently pointed to by opponents of apartheid as examples of why the system was such an illogical and immoral mess.

As for some sort of coalition(s) of pantheons, if I were doing such a thing, I'd probably divide them between those focused on individual excellence and personal freedom vs. those focused on group cohesion and "the greater good". I'm not entirely sure who would be where though, save that the Shen would probably be among the latter. Neither side would necessarily be wrong, and both sides would agree that the Titanspawn are threats to their respective goals. And if you have PCs from both groups, they can have fun character building argu- excuse me, discussions about their different positions.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                          Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post

Irrespective of everything else, this question does remind me of a rather odd bit of trivia: Under South Africa's apartheid system, Japanese people were classified as "honorary whites", entirely so that trade deligations and business people wouldn't be turned away from the good hotels, restaurants, etc. Said status was also given to Taiwanese, but not to ethnically Chinese people native to South Africa (who were still classified as Asian). And it was extended to certain celebrity types of African and Asian lineage, including Arthur Ashe, who told them to f--- off. But this sort of bizarre mental gymnastics was frequently pointed to by opponents of apartheid as examples of why the system was such an illogical and immoral mess.

As for some sort of coalition(s) of pantheons, if I were doing such a thing, I'd probably divide them between those focused on individual excellence and personal freedom vs. those focused on group cohesion and "the greater good". I'm not entirely sure who would be where though, save that the Shen would probably be among the latter. Neither side would necessarily be wrong, and both sides would agree that the Titanspawn are threats to their respective goals. And if you have PCs from both groups, they can have fun character building argu- excuse me, discussions about their different positions.
                            Huge in-game squabbles and blurred/obliterated moral lines are what WW games should be all about. And I love situations where you get characters from opposing groups having to find common ground while battling a larger threat.

I was hoping to go for a "Percy Jackson meets Hellboy" setting. With the western powers being oppressing pantheons crushing the others in a sort of theocratic colonialism. As the story progressed I was going to have things get pretty blurry. Maybe some of the titans aren't so bad (like Prometheus). Maybe the old powers need to topple.

In the setting I was planning to flesh out, there was to be mounting titan activity coinciding with geopolitical issues. The Western Powers looking to squeeze western powers while claiming to be doing so to counter "mounting Titan aggression". Divine squabbles, unlikely allies, and some really awful monsters while the world burns. Hopefully the main characters could make some meaningful changes.
                            Last edited by MythAdvocate; 07-08-2019, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Huge in-game squabbles and blurred/obliterated moral lines are what WW games should be all about.
                              Man, good thing that WW doesn't own Scion anymore.

Like, I'm at the point where I prefer unironically heroic stuff. Less Batman v Superman and more My Hero Academia.

Oh yeah, if you do decide to rework this setting... Make it more clear that this is a bad thing. That was my biggest concern, that all these figures banded together under the umbrella of 'Western Civilization' were framed as being allies and smashing the crap out of other Pantheons.

Like, the write-up didn't make it clear that the assumption would be that you may try to work against this. And there's enough unsavory sorts who would view this Flame of the West Coalition as being a good thing.

So yeah, think about what kind of games you would want to run in this setting and make that more clear in the pitch.

Also I would recommend switching Editions, 1e has nothing of value to hold onto anymore.
                              Last edited by Kyman201; 07-08-2019, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X