This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MythAdvocate View Post
    Ah, wow. That is bad. Not a quote from the book though, but the Wiki editors' paraphrase, and they did one hell of a not-good job. After all Riordan himself has written and said about culture and diversity, the people who wrote that article should know better than to claim Western civilisation is about all of mankind. It's really a stupid chain of coincidences, though, that you used such innocous sources and ended up writing something that got us so shocked and agitated. Sorry if anyone was overreacting, Advocate.

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post

Irrespective of everything else, this question does remind me of a rather odd bit of trivia: Under South Africa's apartheid system, Japanese people were classified as "honorary whites", entirely so that trade deligations and business people wouldn't be turned away from the good hotels, restaurants, etc. Said status was also given to Taiwanese, but not to ethnically Chinese people native to South Africa (who were still classified as Asian). And it was extended to certain celebrity types of African and Asian lineage, including Arthur Ashe, who told them to f--- off. But this sort of bizarre mental gymnastics was frequently pointed to by opponents of apartheid as examples of why the system was such an illogical and immoral mess.

As for some sort of coalition(s) of pantheons, if I were doing such a thing, I'd probably divide them between those focused on individual excellence and personal freedom vs. those focused on group cohesion and "the greater good". I'm not entirely sure who would be where though, save that the Shen would probably be among the latter. Neither side would necessarily be wrong, and both sides would agree that the Titanspawn are threats to their respective goals. And if you have PCs from both groups, they can have fun character building argu- excuse me, discussions about their different positions.
      See, I know them as "honorary Aryans" like the Nazis called them. That's part of why this concept made all of my alarms go off.

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post

Irrespective of everything else, this question does remind me of a rather odd bit of trivia: Under South Africa's apartheid system, Japanese people were classified as "honorary whites", entirely so that trade deligations and business people wouldn't be turned away from the good hotels, restaurants, etc. Said status was also given to Taiwanese, but not to ethnically Chinese people native to South Africa (who were still classified as Asian). And it was extended to certain celebrity types of African and Asian lineage, including Arthur Ashe, who told them to f--- off. But this sort of bizarre mental gymnastics was frequently pointed to by opponents of apartheid as examples of why the system was such an illogical and immoral mess.

As for some sort of coalition(s) of pantheons, if I were doing such a thing, I'd probably divide them between those focused on individual excellence and personal freedom vs. those focused on group cohesion and "the greater good". I'm not entirely sure who would be where though, save that the Shen would probably be among the latter. Neither side would necessarily be wrong, and both sides would agree that the Titanspawn are threats to their respective goals. And if you have PCs from both groups, they can have fun character building argu- excuse me, discussions about their different positions.

Perhaps instead of that you can divide it by which gods favor which rather then the whole Pantheon. So Sun Wukong would join the personal liberty Faction, while Guan Yu is for the greater good camp.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Sacerdos View Post

See, I know them as "honorary Aryans" like the Nazis called them. That's part of why this concept made all of my alarms go off.
          That was also a thing. The apparent constant to these sort of efforts to sort people into racial catagories and tiers is how they quickly turn into such trainwrecks of logic. Which is rather fascinating from a sociological perspective. My personal favorite bit of lunacy is the Christian Identity claim that all the Jews in the Bible are actually pure white Aryans. That and the Nation of Islam doctrine that white people were created by a Japanese mad scientist. I keep expecting to learn that early 20th century earth was part of some alien experiment to see how many absurd ideas humans could be made to believe, and that this is why we haven't been invited to join the intergalactic confederation.

Hmm. Now I want to try playing the wouldbe god of conspiracy theories.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
          Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post

Perhaps instead of that you can divide it by which gods favor which rather then the whole Pantheon. So Sun Wukong would join the personal liberty Faction, while Guan Yu is for the greater good camp.
            it would be interesting to have two rival modern mega-panthons along those lines. Especially trying to figure out who goes where and why.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
            Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Working...
            X