Some character creation questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some character creation questions

Hi, I've been trying to find the answers to some of these questions but no luck, so figured I'd ask (sorry if they are answered elsewhere).

I played the original Scion and enjoyed the game, so when I saw 2e coming out, I was excited.

Me and some friends are in the middle of setting up a game and ran head first into the character gen, which has thrown us all slightly.

We managed to figure most of it out, but a still unsure on a few things (and if it is needed, we're playing pre-visitation scions to start):

1) The Origin and Role paths made sense once we read the examples, but the Society/Pantheon path is still confusing us. It says you have a connection to an organisation, cult, group OR one of the possible pantheons. We initially assumed you just had to be part of a group (so had one player want to mimic life and be a member of Scouts Australia). Yet when we read the next part, it said this section had to have the skills related to your pantheon. Does this mean the society path has to be connected to your pantheon, or can it be any type of society, you just get the pantheon skills?

2) Skill Specialties - is it better to go broad or narrow with them? We've been trying to figure ones out, and while the example characters help, we're still struggling with some for ideas.

3) Callings and Knacks - in step 5, you pick your calling and get a Knack from either your calling category or the any category. In Step 6, you can pick up 2 more knacks. Do they have to be from your calling. I had initially read the system as you can only have knacks from your calling, and without an appropriate calling, the knacks don't work. Yet another player had originally picked a knack from a calling he doesn't have (had Liminal, but picked knacks from Any, Liminal and Healer) as he couldn't find anything to say you couldn't do that. I can't seem to see anything that says you can't, but was wondering if someone had something that could argue either way.

Thanks for any help.

1- For Scions, Society path == Pantheon path
    2- Should be reasonably narrow focus, but do as it work for the group
    3- All knacks comes from your callings. There are a few exceptions, the ones received by the birthrights, relics can give free knacks and guides can give extra callings to pick from when getting a new knack.

I hope I helped.

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper813 View Post

1) The Origin and Role paths made sense once we read the examples, but the Society/Pantheon path is still confusing us. It says you have a connection to an organisation, cult, group OR one of the possible pantheons. We initially assumed you just had to be part of a group (so had one player want to mimic life and be a member of Scouts Australia). Yet when we read the next part, it said this section had to have the skills related to your pantheon. Does this mean the society path has to be connected to your pantheon, or can it be any type of society, you just get the pantheon skills?
      The Society Path for Scions somehow should tie into their Pantheon. This does need to be a literal Society though... for one of my characters who is the human Incarnation of the Goddess Durga's Lion, his Pantheon Path is literally "The Lost Lion", his contacts for this Path are in fact fellow members of a sham retreat he was once forced to go to after he started having dreams about his Leonine self... not directly related to the Pantheon a all, but still these are people he only got to know due to his Pantheon connection.

Originally posted by Reaper813 View Post

3) Callings and Knacks - in step 5, you pick your calling and get a Knack from either your calling category or the any category. In Step 6, you can pick up 2 more knacks. Do they have to be from your calling. I had initially read the system as you can only have knacks from your calling, and without an appropriate calling, the knacks don't work. Yet another player had originally picked a knack from a calling he doesn't have (had Liminal, but picked knacks from Any, Liminal and Healer) as he couldn't find anything to say you couldn't do that. I can't seem to see anything that says you can't, but was wondering if someone had something that could argue either way.
      You can only pick up Knacks from Callings you have access to or that are in the Any category. Also, unless you get into Birthright shenanigans which can bend and break these rules a bit, you can only slot a Knack into the matching Calling... so even if you could pick up the Healer Knack you wouldn't be able to use it since you have no Healer slots to put it into, only the single Liminal.

Comment

Working...
      X