Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help on Character Concept

Hey everyone,

Just was looking for some help on a character concept of one of my players had for a Hero level game; specifically, I am trying to work out their Calling(s).

Their concept is around a young individual who is studying to be an diplomat, and is Chosen to act as an emissary for their deity. They have struggled though because they have not felt that any of the Callings clicked with this concept, and this has slowed us to a halt with character creation; for example, while they have a Pantheon in mind (the Shen) they know that one of their Callings must come from their sponsor and thus have not nailed that down, nor have they lined up their Knacks. While they recognize Paths, Purviews, and Legendary Titles (as well as the ability to home brew a calling), the player specifically was trying to stay within existing material and is really hoping for the Callings to fit the idea of being an emissary and supports this concept thematically and mechanically as best it an.

To give just a bit more of the thoughts we have had and the hang-ups that arose regarding the Callings we have discussed:
    -Leader: Has some good knacks (such as "Good Listener", "Perfect Poise", "Lighthouse of Society") and could reflect some thematic components through this. However, we felt a number of the knacks and general themes rely on the idea of someone stepping up to lead, and the player doesn't feel that the role of the diplomat is to be a leader themselves, but work with those from the parties involved.
    -Lover: Again, while some knacks would fit and there are themes involved with relationships, the themes overall are more personal in the nature of the relationships versus more political, and while I threw out the idea of using seduction as part of their negotiations, the player did not feel it fit their hopes.
    -Judge: Lots of cool knacks tied to detecting lies and creating oaths which could tie into the idea of Diplomats creating treaties and being at a negotiation table. The theme was tricky though, as the concept would not be to punish law but more construct it, though still one of the better fits.
    -Liminal: Thematically, reflects the travel and being apart from the pantheon, crossing boundaries, etc. Also kinda fit thematically, from the traveling standpoint.
    -Other thoughts: Warrior was right out, as was trickster. Creator was briefly considered, but didn't really fit well, as was Sage for similar reasons (though Sage's Knacks fit well.) Healer and Guardian just didn't fit well either.

Currently, I am leaning towards Liminal and Judge, since they could reflect someone wishing to create and uphold laws outside of their own people's domains. But we are still not sure what the third should be nor completely settled on those two for the reasons we talked about above.

TL; DNR- What Callings would you recommend for someone who wants their Callings to align with a player trying to construct someone who could end up as a divine diplomat/emissary.

Leader and Liminal would be my go-tos for a diplomat.

A thing I do to help look at the Callings is I try to think of how they go about their whatever. Like, this diplomat... How do they go about their Diplomancy?

Do they mostly try to build individual rapport with the other party. Appeal to their emotions? Do they believe that a good opinion left in the wake of a negotiation means favors down the road and thus tries to appeal to people? Lover can cover all forms of emotional bonds. Plus for many of them, you don't even have to tie the emotions to yourself.

Do they use Facts and Logic? Study what tangible things the other party wants and lays out plans that will ensure both parties see the benefits of this deal? Sage is the way to go.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

So I agree on the use of Callings as the “how.” I tried to get more clarity and it may help show why I was not sure (or help you guys note something I missed.)

So, the character the player has in mind is a bit of a young idealist, who believes that people could be brought together and compromise is not only possible, but can lead to both parties being better off. The Scion wants to explore other cultures, seeing the parallels and nuance, but more organically/engaged with the cultures rather than studying from afar. The Scion is not one who views herself as the one to drag people to the table or direct things, but instead act as a representative for her side and then to work with the other party with respect.

I think part of the issue is that the player is thinking of the now, when the character is wide-eyed and lacking in experience. If I was to compare them to anything, the concept is to be the Team Heart, and have it extend to other cultures and those she encounters. They aren’t meticulous in their prep, they aren’t skilled in the game of thrones, l they aren’t angling for an upper hand; they are a 20 something godling who wants everyone to get along and their Patron has tasked them with a role that caters to this (or they were created to attend to this role... the divine can be fun like that.)

I like the idea of Lover, but I think the player is hesitant just because most of the info in the book paints it with some degree of romance/sexuality, and while there are hints of other relationships, the player is not sure if it is a clean fit. Sage also fell out, only because they are not academic per se in their approach, and they want to “play with their heart, not Logic.” I am currently leaning with Liminal and Leader as suggested, and will see if they have any thoughts.

I will admit, as we talk about it more, I am thinking there is some concrete thinking that might be holding the player back, though it may just be that I am missing the minutia of what they are going for. I will see if they may be more open with some of these suggestions.

Comment

Liminal Leader Lover is what I'd go for in that case. The Knacks can easily be reflavored to be about platonic bonds. A Lover can be Everybody's Friend.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
          Liminal Leader Lover is what I'd go for in that case. The Knacks can easily be reflavored to be about platonic bonds. A Lover can be Everybody's Friend.
          After more discussion (including all your helpful input), the character ended up Judge, Lover, Liminal; the emphasis on building relationships, constructing binding agreements and enforcing it, and exploring external cultures all came together to create the players hopes for the character. Thank you!

Comment

I have a pregenerated Scion of Tezcatlipoca who is sort of like this, raised and supernaturally assigned to move between communities to teach children, mark the long count calendric observations, and forge disparate communities in a post-apocalyptic setting into united ones against the Titans/Titanspawn. She has the calling split of Trickster (2), Liminal (1), and Sage (1).

Comment

Originally posted by Freemind View Post
              After more discussion (including all your helpful input), the character ended up Judge, Lover, Liminal; the emphasis on building relationships, constructing binding agreements and enforcing it, and exploring external cultures all came together to create the players hopes for the character. Thank you!
              Happy to help, hope your player has fun

Comment

Working...
              X