A few mechanical questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few mechanical questions

Last week we had our first session in Scion. It was a complete mess up Most of the things we got figured out after that but a few still remained.

Crash of Wills - This is the thing which got me confused most. A lot of knacks call of a Clash of Wills against non trivial targets. The book said that you roll skill+calling but what does the defending target roll providing it doesn't have a knack which explicitly counters the attacking one?

Followers - It says that followers defense is equal to their rating divided by 2. Is this rounded up or down?
    Followers can pick up knacks - even Immortal ones. How many different callings could they pick knacks from? Are they limited to one? Does having a knack make them pre-Visitation Scion? Does having 2 from different Callings makes them a Scion? What happens if i pick 2 knack and make a mob?

Knacks - Can "The Biggest Treat" be used as a part of a Leadership intimidation check against multiple targets? My original idea was to take Dread Aura high Leadership and Biggest Treat and kinda Taunt the whole battle to attack me. But I'm thinking I'm messing something

1: They roll the same as you, but possibly another skill and calling. It must be a proper skill and calling or at least the closest calling available. A guy decreasing a place would use Guardian, but maybe leader or warrior can be used, up to SG.

2: round up.
    3: Followers and antagonists don’t need to have callings, basically give knacks that fit the concept.

4: Trivial characters can be targeted as a single adversary usually, against a group of worth adversaries I would say no as it is written.

BUT... Scion is quite flexible, the idea of your legend being built around you killing hundreds in seconds is really nice... evil, but nice.

If I were the SG I would ask for a Marvel, not a big thing, just showing of your powers, a war cry from war purview, shiny like the sun for sun purview, things like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Xelian View Post
      Crash of Wills - This is the thing which got me confused most. A lot of knacks call of a Clash of Wills against non trivial targets. The book said that you roll skill+calling but what does the defending target roll providing it doesn't have a knack which explicitly counters the attacking one?
      If the enemy has Skills and Legend, pick the most appropriate. If they do not due to being a Quick Character, then roll the Desperation Pool

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Another question - Mostly about Combat Medic Knack from the Healer Calling. Am I missing something about this Knack? It seems like the single most cost effective way of healing in the system? Basically you remove one -1 damage damage each turn. Am I right? What exactly tend to an ally wounds in combat means? Also how does this works with a Follower? It says it cannot be part of a mixed action. Does this mean that I cannot command my follower to use it while I fight?

Comment

Combat Medic is a Heroic Knack. While I am not next to the book, I will not speak to RAW.

If I am running the game, however, I will need a very good explanation as to how your follower is stitching you up while you are currently in a swordfight.

Comment

Originally posted by PHGraves View Post
            Combat Medic is a Heroic Knack. While I am not next to the book, I will not speak to RAW.

If I am running the game, however, I will need a very good explanation as to how your follower is stitching you up while you are currently in a swordfight.
            Followers are allowed to have Knacks. Even Immortal ones. And if I remember correctly Heroic Knacks are mortal knacks. They could be picked up and used by mortals.

Comment

I have no issues with followers having knacks. That was not the point I was making.

Combat Medic requires you to spend your action treating someone's wounds. My point was that, were I running the game, I would need a compelling reason as to how one's follower could be patching them up while in the middle of a swordfight.

Now, I must apologize if I read too far into the question, but the asker seemed to see Combat Medic as overpowered - possibly to the point of low-level Regeneration when a follower is constantly using it.

Even if we are hand-waving away the capability of someone to be stitched up or plastered while they are fighting, the follower would be "danger adjacent". If this was overused in a game, be ready to have the followers targeted instead of the PC.

Comment

I understood what you meant. My problem is with combat healing at overall. Whether it will be from a follower or a band mate I can't imagine how this knack works. It is a Mortal knack so by assumption it is not done by magical means. There are no logical explanation how this healing will happen in like the 15 seconds between combat turns. No mundane healing happens that fast. Perhaps the idea of the knack is to just prevent the need for rolling for in combat healing but the only reference about combat healing is First Aid which is done AFTER combat. That's why I asked. Hopiing that someone had run into that.

Comment

Originally posted by Xelian View Post
                  It is a Mortal knack so by assumption it is not done by magical means.
                  This is where your problem lies. Even Mortal Knacks are magical or how would you explain someone with Innate Toolkit Mortal Knack from Creator forging for example a sword with no tools other than his bare hands? Knacks are magic even the Mortal ones. That is why Combat Medic heals so fast and efficiently, it is magic that does the healing.
                  Last edited by Possessed; 07-18-2019, 04:30 AM. Reason: Typo heals not Hells... outo correct for the win...

Comment

Originally posted by Possessed View Post

This is where your problem lies. Even Mortal Knacks are magical or how would you explain someone with Innate Toolkit Mortal Knack from Creator forging for example a sword with no tools other than his bare hands? Knacks are magic even the Mortal ones. That is why Combat Medic Hells so fast and efficiently, it is magic that does the healing.
                    That's quite a good point. I will roll with it.

Comment

Flatlander lets you punch someone three seconds into the future. Master of Weapons lets you punch someone from a range band out by adding Reach to your fists.

Heroic Knacks may have a line saying they could be mistaken for Mortal Skill but...

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
                        Flatlander lets you punch someone three seconds into the future. Master of Weapons lets you punch someone from a range band out by adding Reach to your fists.

Heroic Knacks may have a line saying they could be mistaken for Mortal Skill but...
                        Which can be funny to consider what can mortals do then in The World haha.
                        "Yeah sure i can forge a sword with my bare hands. My mom can bake a cake without using any tools or oven whatsoever. No biggie"

Currently running: Scion 2nd Edition. Les Légendes Currently playing: Being a dad for a 2year old daughter and a newborn son.

Comment

Well, it says "mistaken" for mortal skill. Like, no-bake desserts are a thing; if a Scion uses a Knack to "bake" a cake when the oven is broken, I'm sure most folks would just assume it was a no-bake cake.

Comment

There's a reason I keep joking that clearly Baseline Human in Scion is like Baseline Human in like, the DCAU or Young Justice, where the Baseline Trained Human Dick Greyson can punch a crater in a concrete wall. :P

Comment

Another question - What exactly counts as "active" knacks. It says you can only have 5 knacks active and those must correspond to your calling dots with Immortal taking 2 dots. Let's say for example that I have Master of Weapons and Tempered on. Can I drop them and activate Perfect defense for example. Are they considered always active on only when triggered? Does knacks which say - at the start of the scene remain active for the whole scene or only when triggered? Do they take a calling dot "slot".

Comment

Working...
                              X