No announcement yet.

A few mechanical questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notably, there IS a payoff to buying extra knacks at Chargen. As your Legend increases, you pick up extra Calling Dots, but while these give you additional Knack Slots, they do not automatically give you additional Knacks. So you'll have to buy those.

Also, the reason I almost always take the Bonus Knacks for Origins characters is that many Birthright benefits aren't great for an Origin character... Plus it almost feels a bit cheap to me, to have a Pre-Visitation Scion have a Magic Sword with +2 Enhancement to Swording. Which you can totally do, with four dots of Birthrights.

Like, a Pre-Visitation Scion gets no benefits from Purview Access, as per Word of Neall. And like... A weaker Guide? Sure. Maybe a car that's a bit faster than normal, sure. And shit, maybe you'll just have a Relic Weapon with a unique Knack that awakens to its true powers post-Visitation.

My main case is that there absolutely ARE reasons to take the extra Knacks. Especially at Origin, where you only get one and precisely one at Chargen.

And you honestly can't call the 'Empty slots, declare them and then the Knack remains" a house rule of mine when it's in the book as a suggested alternate method. Like, it's not a houserule I came up with out of the blue. An example of that is "In emergencies, maybe allow a PC to re-equip their Knacks in the middle of a session by spending a point of Momentum". The "You declare your Knacks as you need them" rule is in the Origin book.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
      Notably, there IS a payoff to buying extra knacks at Chargen. As your Legend increases, you pick up extra Calling Dots, but while these give you additional Knack Slots, they do not automatically give you additional Knacks. So you'll have to buy those.
      That is actually a very good point. I will have to point that out to my players if we ever build new characters, especially if we start them at Origin level. The characters they built skipping the extra Knacks for Birthrights were Hero level characters so we didn't have the concern of having relics that were over powered.

Comment

Originally posted by Brennanhawkwood View Post

That is actually a very good point. I will have to point that out to my players if we ever build new characters, especially if we start them at Origin level. The characters they built skipping the extra Knacks for Birthrights were Hero level characters so we didn't have the concern of having relics that were over powered.
        Eh, for overpoweredness I look for attempts to squeak the systems. Like giving a Calling Knack on a Relic, or trying to claim that Enhancement on a sword that only applies "When attacking" counts as Specialized Enhancement (My rule is if the Enhancement will apply more often than not, it's probably not Specialized. Vs a certain type of foe, like Vs Shapeshifters or Vs Snakes is Specialized. While Attacking isn't)

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

I have a question regarding fatebindings:
          it says you may acquire new fatebindings at Strength +1 minimum 0.

What is that the strength of? Your current fatebinding?

Comment

Originally posted by ZipDrive View Post
            I have a question regarding fatebindings:
            it says you may acquire new fatebindings at Strength +1 minimum 0.

What is that the strength of? Your current fatebinding?
            That's how I've been reading it. A new Fatebinding will form from Strength 0, +1, so Strength 1.

I also take this to mean that you can Strengthen a Fatebinding as well as form a new one for Legend Recovery

Comment

Awesome! Good to know I'm thinking like other people. I hadn't thought of using it to strengthen a fatebinding, I think I like that, too.

Do you have any insight into the Contacts section of connections? It came up when a player of mine was trying to flesh out her paths, but you get 2 points per invocation. Is that saying if I invoke once in a session to get +2 to a dice roll I have 2 points banked, then if I invoke the same path again I get another 2 and if I choose connection I could get a 4 dot contact? Or a potential 3rd reading - any time you invoke any path, you gain 2 floating contact points and you can (at some point during the session) invoke a path with those those contact points. I'm leaning towards the last one on my last reading.

Comment

I figured you got the two points from Invoking a Path specifically for Contacts, but that's my take.

Also keep in mind that the points fade at the end of the session, so you can't keep contacting Joey King the Hitman each week go make a 14-dot Contact.

Comment

Working...
                X