2E Demigod & God Inquiry

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2E Demigod & God Inquiry

Hey guys, so I really, Really, REALLY, want to run a 2e Scion campaign. Sadly, without Demigod or God being out I don't see the full campaign getting finished. Just reading through the rules has me asking a lot of,"What about at demi/god level?" kinds of questions. All that said, the waiting is killing me and I have a few, hopefully uncomplicated, questions.

Looks like Demigod is on the Onyx coming soon someday list(good to see). Any timeframe for God yet or are we still years away on that?

I see in the TC:Aberrant kick that they've increased Scale up to 10. Anyone know if there are plans for something like that with Scion? I'm still trying to make the leap from 1e to 2e, it kind of looks like Scale has replaced epic attributes in some nebulous way so Scale would, eventually with more books out, go to 11? Kind of swimming in the dark on this one.

Last bit is Tier. I see it mentioned at times but I must have overlooked something since I don't see where it's actual game mechanics are. Does it even do anything? Scale modifier or something?

If someone could point me in the right directions it'd be appreciated.

Originally posted by Shadows and Dust View Post
    Hey guys, so I really, Really, REALLY, want to run a 2e Scion campaign. Sadly, without Demigod or God being out I don't see the full campaign getting finished. Just reading through the rules has me asking a lot of,"What about at demi/god level?" kinds of questions. All that said, the waiting is killing me and I have a few, hopefully uncomplicated, questions.
    There's plenty of stuff still to do at Hero level, so I wouldn't worry too much... it's designed so that you should be able to stay at Hero forever actually, and a lot of Scions never ascend to Demigodhood.

Looks like Demigod is on the Onyx coming soon someday list(good to see). Any timeframe for God yet or are we still years away on that?
    No timeframe yet, definitely not till after Demigod.

I see in the TC:Aberrant kick that they've increased Scale up to 10. Anyone know if there are plans for something like that with Scion? I'm still trying to make the leap from 1e to 2e, it kind of looks like Scale has replaced epic attributes in some nebulous way so Scale would, eventually with more books out, go to 11? Kind of swimming in the dark on this one.
    We don't know if Scale will be expanded... as it stands now, 6 is the max Scale difference. Scale does not directly map to 1e Epic Attributes, or to your mundane Attributes the way Aberrant's Mega Attributes do, it just represents when something has an overwhelming advantage over another being. An Elephant would have Strength Scale over a human being for example, meaning that even if both have a Strength score of 5, the Elephant will consistently outshine the human. Scions have various ways to gain Scale on their Actions, putting them above and beyond what human beings are usually capable of. A Scale difference of more than 3 essentially means that you don't bother rolling, the person with higher Scale wins by default.. it doesn't matter how charismatic you are, if Zeus is in the room in all his glory, no one will be looking at you. Most importantly, unlike Epic Attributes of 1e, Scale is always relative... a Scale 2 and Scale 4 being fighting each other would function the same as a Scale 0 and Scale 2, reducing the dice and success bloat.

Last bit is Tier. I see it mentioned at times but I must have overlooked something since I don't see where it's actual game mechanics are. Does it even do anything? Scale modifier or something?
    As a base it determines your Target Numer... Origin and Hero characters have a Target Number of 8, Demigod and God characters have a 7, which means literally everything is easier for Gods to do than mortals. For Scions specifically, it helps to determine the power of Relics they can create, and the power of their Birthrights... Demigod and God Birthrights are inherently more powerful than Hero ones.

If someone could point me in the right directions it'd be appreciated.
    Hope that helped.

Comment

As I see, most of the details needed to go to Demigods are there, as Samudra described perfectly. Of course there are a few questions to be answered and only the books will bring us answers.
      Will there be any 3rd Tier Knacks?
      Does the Demigods gain access to more Purviews with no need of a Birthright? Or can they use their booms even without the relics like in 1e?
      What kind of additional powers does the Birthright give to the Demigods?

Comment

Sam, that helped indeed. Thanks man. Scale removing some of the dice bloat should be a godsend, so to speak. Those auto successes got to be a bit much, even without Untouchable Opponent. Even worse in Aberrant if you had Mastery levels. Didn't even think about the Tier bit, they do something similar in TC for the various types of players, I shoulda caught that one. Old games, new playstyles, gotta get up to speed on the terminology.

Mat, yeah, its questions like those and others that keep me from rolling out a campaign. I tend to make long range plans and villains, lots of foreshadowing and such. Kinda hard without knowing what the road down the way looks like.

Thanks for the heads up guys!

Comment

Personally I would think Gods would drop the Tier target number down to 6 actually. I seem to remember at least in the earlier drafts of the system that was the planned max reduction that Tier brought.

Comment

Honestly you can just keep a game at Hero level for a while. As mentioned, not all Heroes go to Demigod, so not every Scion game will have the automatic assumption that you're on the fast track to Godhood.

I recommend just making a Hero Campaign, get a feel for the system, and keep it going for a time. Maybe eventually you'll set it aside for a bit to play something else, and then return when Demigod launches, picking up with the old team or maybe new members.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Actually, with Aberrant right around the corner I'll probably go Nova for a campaign then ease on into Hero. Since Demi is on the board now it's a good bet that it'll be kickstarted by that time and I'll at least have two books to work with. Plus, it looks like the Companion on the way is a must for me too since I'd like some of the players to be Atlantean Scions.

C'mon Onyx, hurry up and TAKE MY MONEY! Don't make me throw it at you....

Comment

You can also do the scale up thing. Pick whatever power you have as a hero and scale 1 or 2 up. If you were talking about the illusion of a person, now it’s an entire mob. Can punch a hole in a building? Make it a city block.

I think half of the effects are probably scale ups of hero powers.

Comment

I didn't see it mentioned, so to add a bit on an info level:

Tier is sometimes used to protect characters from lower level ones. For example, PCs can't be killed by characters of a lower Tier than them. It doesn't mean they can't lose, just that the fate of Scions is such that a Hero level one isn't going to die at the hands of normal humans even if they end up lying in a ditch broken and battered and left for dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
                    I didn't see it mentioned, so to add a bit on an info level:

Tier is sometimes used to protect characters from lower level ones. For example, PCs can't be killed by characters of a lower Tier than them. It doesn't mean they can't lose, just that the fate of Scions is such that a Hero level one isn't going to die at the hands of normal humans even if they end up lying in a ditch broken and battered and left for dead.
                    Also, being a higher tier than an opponent can be protective in another way. Knacks generally don't effect targets of they're of a higher tier. Usually two tiers or so, but some Knacks can render you resistant or immune to threats from a lower tier.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Can't be killed? Oh my.

"Ha! No one could've survived a fall like that! Not even Him. OK boys pack it up we're done here." That is definitely good to know. Players with Fate Armor mean I don't have to pull my punches when they get stupid. Well, maybe pull a little, but not too much.

Comment

Thinking about it, letting Demigods and Gods use Scale up to their Legend ( think Scale 11! 😯) and let them success on 7s - it would be enought good rules patch till we got the proper books, I think.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
                        LGBT+ through Ages
                        LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Still new so I certainly could be wrong, don't quote me. Scale Update on the Aberrant kick seems to say you could move planets, probably small moons I guess, at Scale 9. I can't even begin to imagine what 11 would be like.

See those lines above? Yeah, completely off, my bad. Was looking at a size thing not a strength thing. As I say, I'm new these things happen....
                          Last edited by Shadows and Dust; 07-15-2019, 04:28 PM. Reason: My noobness was hanging out.

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                            Thinking about it, letting Demigods and Gods use Scale up to their Legend ( think Scale 11! 😯) and let them success on 7s - it would be enought good rules patch till we got the proper books, I think.
                            Feats of Scale are half the Legend, rounded up.

Also, I would really hesitate with using Aberrant as an exact 1:1 with what Scion Scale does. They're similar but they don't match up perfectly. Like trying to port something from one d20 system into another without any adjustment. Yeah, both systems use d20 as a base but they may not use things exactly the same.

We may see adjusted or higher Scale ratings come Demigod. But until then it's not a great idea to go "Well in Trinity it-"
                            Last edited by Kyman201; 07-16-2019, 03:12 AM.

Comment

I would very much advise against thinking of Demigod or God as Hero, But Bigger.

Comment

Working...
                              X