No announcement yet.

Feeling a bit skeptical about Dragon now to be honest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got worried when they talk about the "WoD expansion effect" (Vampires + Werewolves + Mages + etc.), 'cause the answer sounded to me like: "We are doing exactly that". But, for what I can see now (the interview really enlightened some obscure points in Dragon), Dragon+Scions doens't sound like the WoD problem. It sounds more like a cool plus to the game. It will not derail the game to the point it's not Scion anymore, but I'm honestly seeing them as a "new faction" thing. They MUST keep hidden. Not just from the World, but from the Pantheons too. That caught my eye.

Comment

Originally posted by MoroseMorgan View Post
      Masks and Dragon really seem like Onyx Path trying to make the most out of the game license they bought. It is their modern fantasy brand that they own, and I think even Dragons is supposed to be a kind of 'Shard', where they are just taking this existing Core System, without having to include two+ redundant chapters, and reference existing Purviews etc.

Trying to bring the "Continuum" approach from Trinity over to Scion. There they can have any kind of sci-fi setting (as long as they can think of an A name).

Well, burrowing a quote from Eddy Webb on the announcements page: "They are as canon as you want them to be. As the Origin book goes into, there are a variety of “The Worlds” out there, so these give you a chance to piece together the interpretation of The World you want. So if you don’t groove on the idea of having the Mythos pantheon in your game, you can leave it out."

----------------

I think that sounds reasonable, when you can have a setting range anywhere from Iron to Gold in terms of Mythic level. Since the World we live in appears to be firmly locked in the Iron Mythic level, I think raising it any higher than Heroic Mythic level than that has already diverted from the original premise of what Scion is supposed to be about. That is to say our World, but inhabited by creatures out of Myth and Legend.
      Last edited by Nyrufa; 07-17-2019, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Danielle says in the interview the intention is to not play Scions and Dragons at the same time since the stories they are meant to tell have different structures.

Comment

Scion is torn between the “It’s just a game” camp and the “Let’s be respectful” camp, and based on interviews going back several years we can see that division exists even among the developers. To be fair to the “It’s just a game” camp, they probably never even expected Scion to develop into a fun game about anything more than romping around with loose mythological themes.

You can see it in action based on who is giving the interview or answering questions on the forums. Neall was definitely “Let’s be respectful.” Rich is firmly “It’s just a game.” Meghan was “Let’s be respectful.” Time will tell where Ms. Lauzon falls on that spectrum.

If Dragons is going to be developed from the “It’s just a game” perspective, then I hope it is a Shard / Alternate History like Mythos. That’s the easiest way to make an amazing product and keep both camps happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Florin View Post
            Danielle says in the interview the intention is to not play Scions and Dragons at the same time since the stories they are meant to tell have different structures.
            Folks, there are a lot of things said in the interview that are based on stuff that is still going through development. Actually very early in development for a project like this, and Danielle is still hammering the assembled text together. I suggest looking at the info in the interview as more of a snapshot of where things are at this stage, and to expect that Danielle will be making all sorts of changes as she pulls it all together. Our goal is to have the text, with themes and interactions far more ready for play, set and then available for everyone to review during the Kickstarter. (The date of which we have not determined yet). Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Incendax View Post
              Scion is torn between the “It’s just a game” camp and the “Let’s be respectful” camp, and based on interviews going back several years we can see that division exists even among the developers. To be fair to the “It’s just a game” camp, they probably never even expected Scion to develop into a fun game about anything more than romping around with loose mythological themes.

You can see it in action based on who is giving the interview or answering questions on the forums. Neall was definitely “Let’s be respectful.” Rich is firmly “It’s just a game.” Meghan was “Let’s be respectful.” Time will tell where Ms. Lauzon falls on that spectrum.

If Dragons is going to be developed from the “It’s just a game” perspective, then I hope it is a Shard / Alternate History like Mythos. That’s the easiest way to make an amazing product and keep both camps happy.
              I was just going to let this go, but no. Your entire premise is off, and frankly, insulting. By using "respectful" in any sense you are implying that I am less than respectful of the beliefs and faiths of those who follow or followed the religions we have drawn from in order to make our game. That is not the case or Neall, et al, would not have been able to take the extra and sometimes extremely difficult effort that was put into how the pantheons are handled in this edition.

Comment

Maybe being the delusional optimist here but, with Dragon being another game in the same line, I would be happy. If that is a supplement for Scion (like: "How to add these new guys to the game"), that would be great too. At least to me.

Btw, I really wanna play a Heir of Seiryu or Ao Kuang. In Scion or in Dragon: The RPG (in case that happens).

Comment

Originally posted by Incendax View Post

Please don't insult Rich or Danielle or anyone else at Onyx Path. Rich has been supportive of me and this line since day one, when we've had conflicting goals, he and Eddy have been extremely willing to work with me to find a creative synthesis that satisfies everyone.

Neall Raemonn Price
                  Beleaguered Scion Developer

Comment

Okay, so I can't share the entire manuscript because well, honestly it isn't completely done yet, and because that's what Kickstarter is for. I was asked some questions about Dragon and tried to answer as best I could.

If you are worried about what the game is going to be like, then I'm sorry I couldn't convey it better in the interview. The game is supposed to be about a separate faction within The World with their own goals and desires separate from the Pantheons, but intermingled.

I know that the Scion fans are impassioned about mythology and the Scion team is always respectful of the real life religions and myths we use as our sources. So if you could just have a little faith that we aren't just failing miserably at that in this case, I'd really appreciate it.

Danielle Lauzon, Requiem Developer, Storypath Guru, freelance writer

Comment

Backing up Danielle, Neall, and Rich here: There's a lot of really offensive assumptions happening here. We're trying to give people early glimpses into material, so please approach them with more of an open mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Hayashi View Post
                        Maybe being the delusional optimist here but, with Dragon being another game in the same line, I would be happy.

From the interview, it sounds like that's exactly what it's going to be like as of the time of writing this.

Comment

Rich, Neall, Danielle, and Eddy: Duly noted. I look forward to the final product!

Comment

I'm just hoping that there's good material to steal for the dragon character in my Hong Kong game. I'm not integrating the dragons as a faction stuff, because my game is complex enough already, but I'm sure my player will appreciate some new options.

Comment

I definitely am hoping for a cool Denizen path for Naga!

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

I for one am very curious what kind of powers DRAGONS will get. I can hazard a guess that eastern (i.e Chinese) DRAGONS might have some ability to manipulate the weather, while the western (i.e European) DRAGONS might have some kind of shapeshifting powers. I've heard stories featuring DRAGONS taking on the forms of people in need of charity, and going around towns and villages asking for aid. If you provide them with said aid, they reward you with prosperity. If you selfishly refuse to aid them, you receive their wrath!

Comment

Working...
                                X