Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gods without Pantheons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Is there not idea of 'Folk Hero' in the Scion 2E?


    My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ in CoD games

    Comment


    • #17
      I would argue that Folk Heroes are generally just Heroes. Now, the great thing about Heroes is that they can potentially leave a Mantle around for people to reincarnate. You don't need to make Johnny Appleseed into a God to be the second coming of him, maybe he was just a favored son of Idunn whose Deeds left enough of a mark on Fate that he can come around again.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
        Is there not idea of 'Folk Hero' in the Scion 2E?
        As Auto says... Folk Hero. You don't need to make them a God for them to matter. Again, that's how you get 1e saying Robin Hood is a God.

        Robin Hood is in no way a god. Not by any stretch of the word. Robin Hood is squarely Hero-tier, and you can definitely make a Hero who puts on a green cloak and calls themselves Robin Hood, and may attract the identity of Robin Hood, but at my table I wouldn't have Robin Hood be a viable Patron for a Scion.


        Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

        Comment


        • #19
          I still thinks that Gods without Pantheons are okay, in the 2E lights. They are just small players in greater Gods chessboard, where Pantheons play first violins. And I really like idea of National Gods ( if you use them ) becoming less and less relevant in modern world.

          Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
          Robin Hood is in no way a god. Not by any stretch of the word. Robin Hood is squarely Hero-tier, and you can definitely make a Hero who puts on a green cloak and calls themselves Robin Hood, and may attract the identity of Robin Hood, but at my table I wouldn't have Robin Hood be a viable Patron for a Scion.
          Your table, your rules - however, I also agree with Auto - I recall 2E corebooks pointing that Heroes CAN be Patrons for Scions. So I would say yes for Robin Hood Mantel. But I'm much more liberal in reading of corebooks, in general.
          Last edited by wyrdhamster; 08-04-2019, 04:26 PM.


          My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
          LGBT+ in CoD games

          Comment


          • #20
            Gods without Pantheons are fine. Like, I've never argued against that. Just that some independent figures are not Gods. A character who appears in some folk legends isn't going to be a full Big-G God in Scion Terms.


            Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

            Comment


            • #21
              I agree with Kyman201 in saying that not all Legends should be Gods, in fact most shouldn’t. If every legendary folk hero or dictator Etc. Is a God then being a God starts to loose its meaning and importance and players will start to take godhood for granted. Becoming a God should be a huge deal and it is better achieved if players think that even a Legend like Robin Hood did not make the cut, so then if one or more of them do achieve Godhood it will be all the more important occasion and cooler achievement.

              But like said your table your setting YMMV.

              Comment


              • #22
                I agree too. Actually I would even put a subcategory on demigods that are immortal. Hercules for example was a Demigod for the “Riordan Description”, a mix of human and god, when hi died and was burn, he ascended to a minor god, I would put him on an Immortal Demigod level. Later he may have became a complete god, but by the time of the 12 labours he as a Hero.

                Robin Hood was a hero, and by hero a mean no Capital H Hero. He was not a godling, chosen by a god or the incarnation of a god. Most people got angry with the American Gods from Companion, but I think putting all the Folk heroes and the important people as gods (or even create a pantheon for the openly atheist Soviets) take the importance of the gods from the myths.

                Comment


                • #23
                  I forget which of the Robin Hood tv series from the past few decades it was that tried to tie him to Herne the Hunter. Which is, from my understanding, ahistorical. But still an interesting idea in a world like Scion.


                  What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                  Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
                    I forget which of the Robin Hood tv series from the past few decades it was that tried to tie him to Herne the Hunter. Which is, from my understanding, ahistorical. But still an interesting idea in a world like Scion.
                    Looked for it in Wikipedia - it was Robin of Sherwood 1986-89 TV series, for those looking for inspiration.


                    My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
                    LGBT+ in CoD games

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
                      Gods without Pantheons are fine. Like, I've never argued against that. Just that some independent figures are not Gods. A character who appears in some folk legends isn't going to be a full Big-G God in Scion Terms.
                      Like Jack Frost in the Ragnarok book. They have powers amd legend but they aren't gods.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Astromancer View Post

                        Like Jack Frost in the Ragnarok book. They have powers amd legend but they aren't gods.
                        Exactly, I like the use of legendary and folklore creatures and people as character, but as it was said on Hero, not all gods as Legend 12, most are 9 (minimum to be a god), so there are a large number of immortal demigods (if not all demigods are immortal) or at least Demigod level creatures and people that can be used.

                        We should save the title of god for the most powerful only, not any one that rises above the masses. Santa can be a Demigod, Jack Forst too, Robin Hood a Hero, no more than that. Lady Liberty may be a Demigod from Diana (more about freedom than the Greek counterpart), same for Columbia from Athena. And if we are putting Uncle Sam on the game, better bring Captain America too, both as Heroes.

                        Also, lords of Hell can all be Demigods, I don’t think there is a problem with that. Demons can be of any tier, at least it’s the way I see...

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

                          Exactly, I like the use of legendary and folklore creatures and people as character, but as it was said on Hero, not all gods as Legend 12, most are 9 (minimum to be a god), so there are a large number of immortal demigods (if not all demigods are immortal) or at least Demigod level creatures and people that can be used.

                          We should save the title of god for the most powerful only, not any one that rises above the masses. Santa can be a Demigod, Jack Forst too, Robin Hood a Hero, no more than that. Lady Liberty may be a Demigod from Diana (more about freedom than the Greek counterpart), same for Columbia from Athena. And if we are putting Uncle Sam on the game, better bring Captain America too, both as Heroes.

                          Also, lords of Hell can all be Demigods, I don’t think there is a problem with that. Demons can be of any tier, at least it’s the way I see...
                          Amounts of legend may be more of a limiter for gods tham folk figures. At this time Santa would have more legend than Zeus. But Zeus is a god and Santa isn't.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

                            Exactly, I like the use of legendary and folklore creatures and people as character, but as it was said on Hero, not all gods as Legend 12, most are 9 (minimum to be a god), so there are a large number of immortal demigods (if not all demigods are immortal) or at least Demigod level creatures and people that can be used.

                            We should save the title of god for the most powerful only, not any one that rises above the masses. Santa can be a Demigod, Jack Forst too, Robin Hood a Hero, no more than that. Lady Liberty may be a Demigod from Diana (more about freedom than the Greek counterpart), same for Columbia from Athena. And if we are putting Uncle Sam on the game, better bring Captain America too, both as Heroes.

                            Also, lords of Hell can all be Demigods, I don’t think there is a problem with that. Demons can be of any tier, at least it’s the way I see...
                            Lady Liberty is a goddess, the roman goddess Liberatus. But for the most part i agree with you, maybe make Columbia a goddess, but still fine with her being a demigod. Also Captain america isn't an Anthromporhic personification of the USA like Uncle Sam is.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Penguinbowler View Post
                              Lady Liberty is a goddess, the roman goddess Liberatus. But for the most part i agree with you, maybe make Columbia a goddess, but still fine with her being a demigod. Also Captain america isn't an Anthromporhic personification of the USA like Uncle Sam is.
                              I think Columbia's gonna be a Goddess in the Companion. Like Full-on God-Tier Goddess Who Can Have Scions.


                              Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                I think Columbia would work quite well also as a reccuring demigod mantle waiting for the next hero to "put it on" and maybe this time reach the lofty godly realm.


                                Currently running: Scion 2nd Edition. Les Légendes Currently playing: Being a dad for a 2year old daughter and a newborn son.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X