What do your Scion series look like?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do your Scion series look like?

Wondering what Scion is looking like on the table for people.

I have two Scion games on the go at the moment. The first is a game set in Hong Kong. The goal is wuxia with guns, and we live up to it. The band is comprised of a half-American son of Tin Hau (aka Mazu), a foxwoman daughter of the Monkey King, a temple dog and child of Er Lang's dog, and a dragon who's a triad princess. They're up against a band of eight evil anti-Buddhists, one of whom is headed for Godhood. The first arc was all about discovering why HK was so messed up. Now they're trying to take apart the Eightfold Sins' organization and turn them against each other.

The second game is a pick-up game set in Philadelphia. We have a collection of characters that the players pick from at the start of each session. I altered the Deed system so that it's a little friendlier to one-shot play. The setup is that the Scions of Philadelphia have a Congress where they try and manage divine business in the city, and protect the Omphalos (of Delphi) and the Pythian Oracle, which was relocated to Philly in the 19th century. We've had a few cool adventures, and it looks like there might be one or two big bads behind the scenes, pulling strings.

If I can actually get one off the ground, probably like an anime series.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

I'm planning one that is a sequel to our Mage20 game. The idea is that the power of a mage's Avatar came from an ancient pact where the Gods left most of their power to mortals and left the world. That is why the Avatar had the power to rewrite reality. Now the compact is broken, the mages have been depowered and the Gods are back.

Comment

Rather a huge departure from the assumed game setting.

Comment

As I am starting off a Scion: Origins level, I am going to have it have a somewhat slightly skewed look at the Midwest where odd things are starting to happen to the characters, coincidences, Cults, and other creature weirdness that begins to show the players that something is going on, but they've not a clue as to what it is. Knowing my players, they will try to do the generally right thing by people, but Titan influence will get some of the creepy crawlies in The Nebraska-Kansas are taking notices of them. And as an aside, We've got a LOT of legends of Devils, Ghost and other things to keep Origin and Hero level stuff going on in the Midwest. The general tone initially is somewhere between X-Files/Millennium and Scion, until the players get and idea

Comment

TLDR: We set ours on a massive cruise ship that's now lost in Terra Incognitae, trying to get get back home. It lets us have a recurring cast and locations, while also being able to visit weird lands and introduce new characters when we need to.

Full story: Our six heroes all boarded (or stowed away) on the Iphigenia, a world-record-sized cruise ship built by tech billionaire (and Scion of Hermes) Byron Blake. The ship was aptly named, as it was secretly a massive sacrifice to propel Byron into Godhood. While the heroes did manage to stop the ritual, the ship was lost in the mists between realms, and now sails through terra incognitae and various otherworlds as it tries to find its way home. Onboard are several of "Byron's Besties", his cabal of Scion investors who intended to join him in godhood, and are actively trying to finish the ritual by sinking the ship. Also complicating things is the presence of one of the player characters, who is an AEsir fated to die on a sinking ship.

We modify the terra incognitae a bit from the world as written. For example, they just found themselves in a land containing the remnants of the Teōtl apocalypses. The second-sun monkey-people formed a Mad-Max/Planet of the Apes dystopia. It was pretty ridiculous. Credit to user PenDragon for that one.

@CaryKingdom - Writer and Ne'er-do-well
            Deititian at Scion: Second Edition
            Storyguide of The Demi Dozen, a Hero-level, live-streamed Scion Campaign
            Everything is subject to change; all opinions expressed are solely my own or those of my houseplants.

Comment

Originally posted by Arlecchino View Post
              TLDR: We set ours on a massive cruise ship that's now lost in Terra Incognitae, trying to get get back home. It lets us have a recurring cast and locations, while also being able to visit weird lands and introduce new characters when we need to.
              There is nothing at all about this, not one thing, that I do not think is the most amazing idea in the history of ever. I would love to know how this game is going. It sounds incredible.

Comment

Thanks, Squee! It's called "The Demi Dozen." We usually stream Sunday nights, but we're currently on break until Sept. The most recent arc is still available on VoDs on Twitch, and we're probably gonna put everything up on Youtube eventually.

Everything is subject to change; all opinions expressed are solely my own or those of my houseplants.

Comment

I am so there! Are the earlier episodes available? I'm so keen!

Comment

Wow, just started watching the VoD of that. Really cool.

So far, I'm just running an Origins game of Einherjar themed as soldiers of fortune meets A-Team to get my group used to the rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Arlecchino View Post

Full story: Our six heroes all boarded (or stowed away) on the Iphigenia, a world-record-sized cruise ship built by tech billionaire (and Scion of Hermes) Byron Blake. The ship was aptly named, as it was secretly a massive sacrifice to propel Byron into Godhood. While the heroes did manage to stop the ritual, the ship was lost in the mists between realms, and now sails through terra incognitae and various otherworlds as it tries to find its way home. Onboard are several of "Byron's Besties", his cabal of Scion investors who intended to join him in godhood, and are actively trying to finish the ritual by sinking the ship. Also complicating things is the presence of one of the player characters, who is an AEsir fated to die on a sinking ship.

We modify the terra incognitae a bit from the world as written. For example, they just found themselves in a land containing the remnants of the Teōtl apocalypses. The second-sun monkey-people formed a Mad-Max/Planet of the Apes dystopia. It was pretty ridiculous. Credit to user PenDragon for that one.
                      This sounds amazing. This sounds like a pergect set up for many different sorts of games (such as one based on usimg the Trinity Continuum rules).

So yeah really cool idea. Really cool.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post

This sounds amazing. This sounds like a perfect set up for many different sorts of games (such as one based on using the Trinity Continuum rules).

So yeah really cool idea. Really cool.

Thank you! We have a really fun team of players too.

BLARGH, the videos of this last arc have started to expire on Twitch. I'll come back and comment here once we get our games up on the Youtubes. Probably sometime in Sept or October?
                        Last edited by Arlecchino; 08-16-2019, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X