[Origin] Cults in non-obvious communities

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Origin] Cults in non-obvious communities

I (very) slowly preparing my Origin game and I look for some inspirations. One of most needed for me are Cults, as I do not want to use direct Gods in my Gods in Hiding hack game - and too sustain Iron Myth level, described in Origin book. ( Origin, p.135 )

'The World is not entirely the same as ours. Cults of Gods now ignored still have power, and the paths of their devotees can cross the lives of others to guide them on their way. It can mean repeated encounters with followers of a particular divinity, seeing images of their own face spray-painted on walls, or having dreams that raise their mortal concerns to the level of myth.'

I just look for ideas where and how can Cults operate in modern society, hiding it's presence. Let's number ideas, it can make a nice list. Here is mine:

1. Aesir Cult in local mafia - Many of Aesir Gods are war or warrior deities, making violence they favorite way of life. Adherents in local organised crime can more easily show their devotion and martial prowess, breaking the law they think are needless or harmful. Typical Patrons: Odin, Tyr, Vidar

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

The German craftsmen's associations, which grew out of medieval guilds, would be good candidates for this.

Sunken Castles, Evil Poodles is creating Public Domain translations of German folklore!

A German Geek - my gaming blog!

Comment

This is a pretty minor thing, but I don't think Tyr would condone a mafia lifestyle. Dude was a God of Oaths, and of Honor. Like, he lost his hand because he made an oath to Fenrir, which he broke. Really, if anybody were to back that lifestyle it'd be Odin and Thor.

As for some Cults working in Semi-Secret ideas...

2. A cult of Hestia operates several power plants, claiming that as she is the Lady of the Hearth, Hestia clearly also counts power plants (which provide warmth and light to countless homes) as under her purview.

3. A Cult of Hades that shakes down mining companies, demanding tribute in exchange for how the miners infringe upon the domain of Hades and take the wealth that belongs to him.

4. Lugh Worshippers running several artifact smuggling rings, because Lugh never met a fancy foreign Relic he didn't want to steal. That's how he got the Luin for the Tuatha, after all!

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Consider all those weird fraternities and sororities, especially ones catering to the upper classes. Assume that at least half of them pay homage to some non-Christian deity.

Sunken Castles, Evil Poodles is creating Public Domain translations of German folklore!

A German Geek - my gaming blog!

Comment

Originally posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
          Assume that at least half of them pay homage to some non-Christian deity.
          Like the real ones...

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
            This is a pretty minor thing, but I don't think Tyr would condone a mafia lifestyle. Dude was a God of Oaths, and of Honor. Like, he lost his hand because he made an oath to Fenrir, which he broke. Really, if anybody were to back that lifestyle it'd be Odin and Thor.
            Real world Mafia ( Italian one ) is all about Loyalty, Oaths and (specific interpreted ) Honor ( of mafia 'soldiers' ). Tyr is not God of Law, only God of Oaths - as you pointed - so sustaining Mafia traditions is really in his area.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
            LGBT+ through Ages
            LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

So i don't imagine them as exactly hidden but i have thought of this cult.
              I have thought of a cult in The World that is mainly composed of History students where what they do is they catalog relics. Who has them, where they're from, are the relic an offshoot from a previous relic, etc.
              Now the cataloging is all in books and papers and they try to avoid actually interacting with scions (cause thats dangerous).
              But a small group dedicate themselves to bringing unowned relics back to the cultures that is their origin.
              Another group believes that they should be custodians of said relics and find worthy scions to give them back to.
              There is tension between the two groups.
              Still can't manage to think of a name that i like.
              The factiond abovenwould respectively be called The Reclaimers and The Custodians. And i imagine each would have derisive nicknames for the other.
              But i'm still unsure what to name the cult as a whole.

Completed campaign: Scion 2nd Edition. Les Légendes Currently playing: Being a dad for a 2year old daughter anf a 1 year old son.

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                Real world Mafia ( Italian one ) is all about Loyalty, Oaths and (specific interpreted ) Honor ( of mafia 'soldiers' ). Tyr is not God of Law, only God of Oaths - as you pointed - so sustaining Mafia traditions is really in his area.
                Well, that is using a very modern understanding of Oaths. Oaths and swearing are a fundamental part of the early Icelandic legal system, and then there is the huge issues the Norse have with crimes committed in secret (such as how if you kill someone publicly and state it, it is not murder but a killing, but if you kill someone privately and conceal it, it is murder) I don't think Tyr, or any of the Aesir, would be comfortable with the Mafia in the slightest. Sure, there might be oaths and loyalty, but the Norse are very invested in society and law and rules. Sure, if you strip Tyr of his social context he might work, but I don't think in his original cultural context the Aesir would be that comfortable with this sort of thing.

Scion 2e Homebrew Projects:
                The Šiuneš, the Pantheon of the Hittite Empire, The Enduri: the Pantheon of the Manchu Peoples, The Sgā’na Qeda’s: the Pantheon of the Haida First Nation, The Abosom: The Pantheon of the Ashanti, Lebor Óe In Dea: an Expansion for the Túatha Dé Danann.

Comment

So what would be a good cult to be at the centre of a mafia organization, then?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike McCall View Post
                    So what would be a good cult to be at the centre of a mafia organization, then?
                    Maybe the Theoi, as typical as it may be? Like, big on family and all that.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

Maybe the Theoi, as typical as it may be? Like, big on family and all that.
                      I like your idea. The Theoi in Greek myths are pretty family business thing, “We fight each other, we hate each other, but we are the gods and no one mess with any us without messing with all of us”. The Roman versions were more about community, legions and war, so using the roman names would not fit well,

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

I like your idea. The Theoi in Greek myths are pretty family business thing, “We fight each other, we hate each other, but we are the gods and no one mess with any us without messing with all of us”. The Roman versions were more about community, legions and war, so using the roman names would not fit well,
                        In my 20s game, one of my players is a Chosen of Persephone, and she's the granddaughter of the local mafia boss. Persephone feels kinship with a fellow precious lady of the Underworld.

Comment

Working...
                        X