Atlantean Pantheon in 2E

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Astromancer View Post
    The ancient gods of Rhodes, the Thelcines (I'll look that up tomorrow correct it and post a link) would be an excellent choice to model the gods of Atlantis from. They were smiths and artificers, they lived in the sea banished from land, they warred with the Olympians. They fit being the gods of Atlantis. Heck there are varient ancient myths (disliked in Athens) were the deites of Rhodes raise Poseidon in secret hidden from being eaten by his father.
    Okay, that sounds interesting enough that I'd like to know more. Suggestions for appropriate reading material please?

wyrdhamster For the purposes of your discussion points
    1. I would lean on the idea that Atlantis was 'destroyed by magic' to the point that it's mundane equivalent was swallowed whole into a Terra Incognita, but I would have access points/touchstones in all three of your listed places. Probably include Antarctica as a reference to it's 1st edition incarnation. Also any place strongly associated with the 'sea people' of the bronze age collapse.
    2. That sounds like a neat idea. They could even have been a coalition of kingdoms, uniting only under a high king or emperor when an outside threat is present. More united than Greek city states, but less so than Egypt.
    3. Honestly, I would have a few scattered separate survivors; the 'land-dwelling' survivors would all be from wrecked colonial villagers not on the 'mainland'. Said 'mainland' is sunk, taking with it most of their infostructure and experts. There might be merpeople living in those ruins but they would be few in number. Any survivors left would be more like refugees than an active society.
    Atlantis went down hard, and bringing it back should be an epic story. Not just convincing them to stop sulking in the corner.
    Last edited by FallenEco; 03-13-2020, 09:59 PM.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Originally posted by FallenEco View Post

Okay, that sounds interesting enough that I'd like to know more. Suggestions for appropriate reading material please?

wyrdhamster For the purposes of your discussion points
      1. I would lean on the idea that Atlantis was 'destroyed by magic' to the point that it's mundane equivalent was swallowed whole into a Terra Incognita, but I would have access points/touchstones in all three of your listed places. Probably include Antarctica as a reference to it's 1st edition incarnation. Also any place strongly associated with the 'sea people' of the bronze age collapse.
      2. That sounds like a neat idea. They could even have been a coalition of kingdoms, uniting only under a high king or emperor when an outside threat is present. More united than Greek city states, but less so than Egypt.
      3. Honestly, I would have a few scattered separate survivors; the 'land-dwelling' survivors would all be from wrecked colonial villagers not on the 'mainland'. Said 'mainland' is sunk, taking with it most of their infostructure and experts. There might be merpeople living in those ruins but they would be few in number. Any survivors left would be more like refugees than an active society.
      Atlantis went down hard, and bringing it back should be an epic story. Not just convincing them to stop sulking in the corner.
      The correct spelling is Telchines. There is a Wikipedia article with references and sources. I'd start there. As these are fairly obscure ancient deites unpopular at Athens, expect inconsistent and conflicting stories.

Comment

After reading the article at www.theoi.com I think Plato may have based his Atlantis on the Telchines. Atlantis is supposed to be populated by descendents of Poseidon, in some myths the Telchines are descendents of Poseidon, in others Thalassia Titaness of the sea. Skills in magic and smithwork are in both stories. Both the allegory of Atlantis and the myths of the Telchines involve "sins and corruptions" not clearly stated.

The Telchines seem to have been known to the Athenians, but never integrated into the the standard myths. Thus in some tales they are the children of Poseidon in others his nursemaids and tutors. In some tales they're dogs turned into men in others men cursed by being turned into seals or sea monsters. They supposedly made the sickle that was used to castrate Uranus. It's like Plato took a grab bag and made it a narrative.

Comment

So I don't super follow all the updates of Scion but I was wondering if there have been any news or updates on the Atlantean Pantheon and the companion book that they will be written up in. (Even if I don't actively play Scion I could see myself buying said book if the Atlantis stuff was a nice enough chapter in order to use the material for say a Trinity game or something.)

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
            So I don't super follow all the updates of Scion but I was wondering if there have been any news or updates on the Atlantean Pantheon and the companion book that they will be written up in. (Even if I don't actively play Scion I could see myself buying said book if the Atlantis stuff was a nice enough chapter in order to use the material for say a Trinity game or something.)
            Here is a little snippet of the rough direction they're going to take in 2e... And I think upthread I post some snippets I've collected here and there, but I'll repost it here.

Pantheon Virtues: Nostalgia vs Vision
            Pantheon Motif: Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a miracle
            Asset Skills: Technology and Science
            Their PSP is called Demiurgy, and the Boons will be called God-Sight and Hypertech Upgrade.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Think DC Comics' New Gods, with their Mother Boxes, Boom Tubes, etc. Or the MCU's Thor movies.

Comment

Hey all thanks for the info! That said I was looking to see if there was anything new released about it and such. I didn't kickstart Scion and so I don't have the backer emails so i figured maybe there was some news aobut Atlantis said behind the scenes. (I'm not asking for the email if a backer only thing was sent, just you know, notes about it.)

That said it seems like there hasn't been any recent updates, and that is obviously fine.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Comment

I figure the next Big Info Release for the Teros will be when the Companion goes out to Backers.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
                    I figure the next Big Info Release for the Teros will be when the Companion goes out to Backers.
                    Anxious for that. I didn’t have access to the Denizens book, so I have been out of Scion new material fo a while.

The proper answer to “Hello There” is, obviously, “General Kenobi”.
                    Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                    https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product.../Fists-of-Flux

Comment

Working...
                    X