Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LordHeru
    • Nov 2013

The idea of being modern inheritors of an ancient past is brilliant to me. As is the questions you asked and the options that can be given in answer. Honestly, so much can be done with this at all levels of campaign.

The idea of adventuring to bring back the fallen is quite fun because at any point it can transition into ruling the once fallen and fighting those who would be allies but became enemies while also making allies of those who might once have been enemies.

I really hope we get material on the history and geography of the once Atlantean people. It would be a nice starting point towards making one's own campaign.

Oh, as a note, I have to say I really like how the Atlantean Pantheon have their own set of gods rather than using standard Greek and such gods.

Comment

• Kyman201
      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
      Oh, as a note, I have to say I really like how the Atlantean Pantheon have their own set of gods rather than using standard Greek and such gods.
      This take doesn't even make sense, because when the allegory of Atlantis was first proposed as an example it was meant to be in opposition of an idealized older Greek culture, who were at war with Greece. They wouldn't have had a lot of overlap at all.

Disclaimer: In favor of fun and enjoyment, but may speak up to warn you that you're gonna step on a metaphorical land mine

Comment

• LordHeru
        • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

This take doesn't even make sense, because when the allegory of Atlantis was first proposed as an example it was meant to be in opposition of an idealized older Greek culture, who were at war with Greece. They wouldn't have had a lot of overlap at all.
        Nod. Yeah I know, but a lot of Atlantis myths and rpgs have them just using Greek Gods. So I am glad they don't here.

Comment

• glamourweaver
          • Nov 2013

It’s a Greek story (not really a myth as Plato didn’t mean it to be taken literally - but that’s splitting hairs here), and as far as they were concerned, any other gods were just other faces of their gods, and the kings of Atlantis (literally named for Atlas) were descended from Poseidon. It would make perfect sense as Theoi Terra Incognita.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• wyrdhamster
            • Dec 2013

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
            It would make perfect sense as Theoi Terra Incognita.
            Or Terra Incognita that Atlanteans and Theoi fighted over. 😎 Same can be made for Troy and other mythical cities! ❤️

As I plan to let players choose other Panteons Patrons and later uncover their true heritage as Athlanteans Scions - What could be good common grounds for Atlanteans and other Pantheons? Like, what can have Atlanteans and Asir in common?
            Last edited by wyrdhamster; 10-05-2019, 12:03 AM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
            LGBT+ through Ages
            LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

• No One of Consequence
              • Jan 2017

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

It’s a Greek story (not really a myth as Plato didn’t mean it to be taken literally - but that’s splitting hairs here), and as far as they were concerned, any other gods were just other faces of their gods, and the kings of Atlantis (literally named for Atlas) were descended from Poseidon. It would make perfect sense as Theoi Terra Incognita.
              Which would make an interesting game scenario where a group of Theoi scions and a group of Atlantean scions come into conflict over said Terra Incognita Atlantis, with the PCs as either Theoi tasked to defend the realm from outside aggression/interference or Atlantians trying to investigate/reclaim what they think is part of their lost heritage.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
              Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

• LordHeru
                • Nov 2013

I have been thinking about this a bit more recently and I just thought of the interesting idea of the players being modern day incarnations of beings from Atlantis, beings whose souls either just managed to wiggle out of the prisons there people are in or who just so happened to have met each other in this particular moment in time. Now they have images of a past world they don't actively remember being in while being chased by other entities who are calling them anathema. The thing is no matter how much they try and avoid it, or maybe break up as a group before the adventure began, things (let us call it fate shall we, hehe) are pushing them towards each other and to something even more glorious - the return to the world the shiny city on the hill that they see in their dreams.

Just sayin. hehe

Comment

• Wannabe Demon Lord
                  • Feb 2017

What do you guys think of the idea of the Atlantean "pantheon" actually being the Greek Titans? (By that I mean the second generation of deities between the Protogenoi and the Theoi, just to clarify since "Titan" has a more general meaning in Scion.) Atlantis was a legendary precursor to Greece, and the Titans were the precursors of the Greek gods, so it makes sense. That way Atlantis could have its own pantheon without having to necessarily make any deities up. Just a thought.

Comment

• glamourweaver
                    • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Wannabe Demon Lord View Post
                    What do you guys think of the idea of the Atlantean "pantheon" actually being the Greek Titans? (By that I mean the second generation of deities between the Protogenoi and the Theoi, just to clarify since "Titan" has a more general meaning in Scion.) Atlantis was a legendary precursor to Greece, and the Titans were the precursors of the Greek gods, so it makes sense. That way Atlantis could have its own pantheon without having to necessarily make any deities up. Just a thought.
                    You could do it that way. I obviously wouldn’t use the Teros PSP, Virtues, etc, if so. But that works as the background of Theoi Terra Incognita Atlantis that lies in ruins at the bottom of the sea where Poseidon holds his own court away from Olympus.
                    Last edited by glamourweaver; 10-11-2019, 12:35 AM.

Comment

• Kyman201
                      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Wannabe Demon Lord View Post
                      I mean nothing stopping you. I think it sounds dull, especially when the Companion will have a much more interesting-sounding idea. Like... Atlantis doesn't exist. It never existed. It was never intended for people to think it existed. So go fucking nuts with it.

Disclaimer: In favor of fun and enjoyment, but may speak up to warn you that you're gonna step on a metaphorical land mine

Comment

• glamourweaver
                        • Nov 2013

I mean nothing stopping you. I think it sounds dull, especially when the Companion will have a much more interesting-sounding idea. Like... Atlantis doesn't exist. It never existed. It was never intended for people to think it existed. So go fucking nuts with it.
                        I think it works as a thing to do with Atlantis if you don’t WANT to use Kirbiesque scifi in your myth game, which a lot of people reasonably may not want to.

Comment

• LordHeru
                          • Nov 2013

While I love Atlantis in all versions and possibilities the fact that they are going with a unique set of gods is to me a very positive element to what they are doing. But even more it shows the potential of how the game can go in a somewhat different mythic direction. Though I admit to probably looking at the information given about Atlantis in more ways then just for Scion, including finding a way to maybe use it in the Trinity Continuum. hehe

Of course in that case my (what I think is an) interesting idea for using modern incarnations of ancient Atlantean divinities would have to switch a bit. hehe

Comment

• Kyman201
                            • Jan 2014

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
                            Of course in that case my (what I think is an) interesting idea for using modern incarnations of ancient Atlantean divinities would have to switch a bit. hehe
                            I would, if you ran this game idea in Scion, stat them up as Incarnate Scions (So use the PSP, the Motif, all that as though they were Teros) and give them Guides from the Pantheons that gave them. Maybe give them both the Paths of the Teros Pantheon and the Paths of their adopted Pantheon

Comment

• wyrdhamster
                              • Dec 2013

Great (and sarcastic ) video summary on the original Atlantis myth, it's modern retellings - and what scientific locations of this land could be!

Things I got from video I want to put here as subtopics to talk about:

1. Location - Would your Scion Atlantis would be where Plato's myth located in? Other locations pointed by the viedo - like Santorini ( previous Thera Island ) or Britain's Doggerland?

2. Plato's Kingdoms - In myth, idea is that Atlantis was really a small 'continent', divided by 10 half human sons of Poseidon-That-Was-Not-Poseidon ( video describe better why it's this ). Interesting would be Terra Incognita divided among 10 Kingdoms, following Theros gods?

3. Atlantis Surviving Under Water? Interesting question asked by the modern retelling - could civilization survive under water? Or just being it Terra Incognit solves problem as 'hidden magical land' it is now?

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
                              LGBT+ through Ages
                              LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

• Astromancer
                                • Nov 2013

The ancient gods of Rhodes, the Thelcines (I'll look that up tomorrow correct it and post a link) would be an excellent choice to model the gods of Atlantis from. They were smiths and artificers, they lived in the sea banished from land, they warred with the Olympians. They fit being the gods of Atlantis. Heck there are varient ancient myths (disliked in Athens) were the deites of Rhodes raise Poseidon in secret hidden from being eaten by his father.

Comment

Working...