Help With Creating a Relic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help With Creating a Relic

I am very soon to start running a Hero game with some friends of mine and one of them had a desire to have his main relic be the gauntlets used by the character Alex Louis Armstrong in FMA. He is a first time player and asked for help in creating the specifics and figuring out the dot value of it. The easy part of it is it providing access to the Earth Purview but he came to me with an interesting idea that I don't know what the dot value for it would be. He wants the relic to allow him to do something similar to the Fire boon 'Heaven's Fire', but with Earth. His description was that it will allow him to make a Ranged, Lethal, Piercing attack using a Simple action with a Strength + Athletics roll, a few alterations to the 'Heaven's Fire' boon. I am unsure what flaw it may need (if it does need one) to fit for 5 dots. I'm leaning toward something like him needing to have stone or brick that he can hit to make the ranged attack, but am unsure if that is enough or not as a flaw. Since the relic is already at 2 dots with the access to Earth, I need the other ability to be worth at most 3 dots.

Any help from you guys here would be greatly appreciated.

If you think that access to an Purview is a dot, a boom as written (and perfectly simulateble with the edge) is not worth a dot for sure. I would give this for free requiring only spendure of a Momentum and the presence of enough earth or rocks to be thrown, basically it would make the boom spend Momentum instead of legend (as it would be a marvel).

Comment

Keep in mind 2 things.
      1. You can use the attack marvel with any purview.
      2. The boons that are written are examples of what boons would look like. The books specifically mention refluffing the Heaven's fire boon under the Sun purview instead. So you can just say that your player gets the Earth purview equivalent of the boon (using other more fitting skills+attribute) and voilà. Tho it will count as one of his 2 starting boons.

Alternatively if he has the Warrior calling he can use the knack Master of weapon with his gloves to make them do ranged attacks.

There are probably several other way to present the Armstrong gloves/effects. The system can get very deep when you want to do a cool thing.

Oh and i think that giving also access to the Forge purview (for 2 more dots bringing the relic to 4) wpuld be quite fitting in this case.

Oh and would the motif of this relic be : " these skills have been passed down the Armstrong family line for generations."
      XD
      Last edited by Maitrecorbo; 08-16-2019, 09:07 PM.

Currently running: Scion 2nd Edition. Les Légendes Currently playing: Being a dad for a 2year old daughter and a newborn son.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
        If you think that access to an Purview is a dot, a boom as written (and perfectly simulateble with the edge) is not worth a dot for sure. I would give this for free requiring only spendure of a Momentum and the presence of enough earth or rocks to be thrown, basically it would make the boom spend Momentum instead of legend (as it would be a marvel).
        If i may, i think that momentum expenditure is much too cheap for an effect equivalent to a boon. I wouldnt allow it any cheaper than imbue 1 legend.
        Last edited by Maitrecorbo; 08-16-2019, 09:08 PM.

Currently running: Scion 2nd Edition. Les Légendes Currently playing: Being a dad for a 2year old daughter and a newborn son.

Comment

Originally posted by Maitrecorbo View Post
          Keep in mind 2 things.
          1. You can use the attack marvel with any purview.
          2. The boons that are written are examples of what boons would look like. The books specifically mention refluffing the Heaven's fire boon under the Sun purview instead. So you can just say that your player gets the Earth purview equivalent of the boon (using other more fitting skills+attribute) and voilà. Tho it will count as one of his 2 starting boons.

Alternatively if he has the Warrior calling he can use the knack Master of weapon with his gloves to make them do ranged attacks.

There are probably several other way to present the Armstrong gloves/effects. The system can get very deep when you want to do a cool thing.

Oh and i think that giving also access to the Forge purview (for 2 more dots bringing the relic to 4) wpuld be quite fitting in this case.

Oh and would the motif of this relic be : " these skills have been passed down the Armstrong family line for generations."
          XD
          He wants to use this ability as one of his primary attack options, so doing the second option you suggested may be the best option. Also the Forge Purview may be a good idea, I will suggest that to him.
          His Callings are currently Warrior, Hunter and Creator, so we will look into the knack as well.

The motif is currently in the air between "these skills have been passed down the family line for generations." or "Power and Friendship through Flexing"

Comment

If i may, i think that momentum expenditure is much too cheap for an effect equivalent to a boon. I wouldnt allow it any cheaper than imbue 1 legend.
            I forgot about the imbue possibility. Much better than Momentum indeed.

Thinking different, imbue would allow him to attack with it every round, while Momentum cost would cost something every round, so it would be interesting a cost of momentum and a imbued legend if you want to limit the usage to once every few rounds.
            Last edited by Mateus Luz; 08-16-2019, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Easiest way to do it is to add the Lethal, Ranged, and Piercing tags to the weapon for two dots total. If the weapon still has the Melee tag (which it should in this case), I wouldn't apply the Ranged tag's normal penalty to using it at close range.

[Ex3] Why Gods Need the Exigence - Plot hooks for Exigent characters of various gods.
              [Ex3] Homebrew Solar Charms - I can see the future, and it is glorious.
              [Ex3] The Glass Library - My Exalted Third Edition Blog (Updated 24/04/2016)

Comment

Related with Armstrong (tho less with the relic), the Epic Strength purviews innate allows you to use you might for social roll including seduction or striking a friendship. You could litterally bulge your muscles for making friends XD

Comment

Related with Armstrong (tho less with the relic), the Epic Strength purviews innate allows you to use you might for social roll including seduction or striking a friendship. You could litterally bulge your muscles for making friends XD
                  He's decided to have Erlang of the Shen as his divine parent, and chose Epic Strength as his innate Purview. He's going full Armstrong with this.

Comment

Originally posted by kurasu View Post

He's decided to have Erlang of the Shen as his divine parent, and chose Epic Strength as his innate Purview. He's going full Armstrong with this.
                    It's like I say: If you're going to Expy, fucking commit.

I'm saying this as a guy whose first Scion PC was a farmgirl named Amanda Jane "AJ" Smith, with a blonde ponytail, freckles, a thick country twang, who has a younger sister, an older brother named Mac, was raised by her grandmother after her parents passed away, and always wore a Stenson hat. I was the opposite of subtle with her.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

I'm saying this as a guy whose first Scion PC was a farmgirl named Amanda Jane "AJ" Smith, with a blonde ponytail, freckles, a thick country twang, who has a younger sister, an older brother named Mac, was raised by her grandmother after her parents passed away, and always wore a Stenson hat. I was the opposite of subtle with her.
                      Scion of Epona, I presume?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike McCall View Post

Scion of Epona, I presume?
                        Alas we lack Epona's Pantheon, so I went by Virtues and made her a Chosen of Maudjee Kawiss.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

The Knight Raiton approves.

Comment

Working...
                          X