X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• angryicecream
    started a topic Knacks & Purviews balance

Knacks & Purviews balance

A lot of powers just flat out no sell each other. Like, a heroic knack Takes One to Know One just completely eliminates the majority of the Deception purview. Pretty low cost to eliminate an entire purview. Then on the other end, you've got Darkness which can just instantly take someone out with absolutely no defense only costing an imbued legend. Is there supposed to be some method to this madness? Because I'm not seeing it.
    Last edited by angryicecream; 09-07-2019, 02:42 AM.

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    Also, you can give access to a purview and use all the marvels he needs, no explanation to the players. That’s exactly the point of an adversary not following the same rules, they can be as good as needed.

Leave a comment:

• Kyman201
    replied
    Here's something I think I should comment on. There's this mindset that the Antagonists are automatically weaker than a PC. In my experience... Frankly? Not really.

Yeah, if you make a Mook, who goes down if you hit them, then yeah, they're gonna be weaker. But with the right Flairs and Qualities, maybe a couple Purviews for the sake of Marvels, antagonists can be just as powerful as PCs. They're antagonists, they don't need to be as COMPLEX as PCs.

Your Fire Scion Antagonist doesn't need Heavenly Fire to shoot fire from their eyes, they just need a Flair that lets them do so.
    Last edited by Kyman201; 09-10-2019, 02:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mike McCall
    replied
    Originally posted by Purple Snit View Post
    I don't see why you would treat something as potentially important as a Scion as though it were just a scrub; they shouldn't be common enough to be thrown away like that. Other thugs, bosses, and assorted monsters, sure. But not Scions.
    I have a band of 8 scions as the main opponents in my ongoing game. I statted one of them up as a full character, and the rest as Nemeses, because that one is the powerful ringleader, but also because the others tend only to appear in one or two brief confrontations, otherwise being behind-the-scenes characters. It's worked pretty well.

Leave a comment:

• Maitrecorbo
    replied
    Can't trust anything with Odin.
    The eye that we see is a glass eye, his real eye is under the eyepatch. :P

Leave a comment:

• No One of Consequence
    replied
    Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

Indeed. Odin don’t need to move his mouth to lie...
    I heard he can do it just by twitching his nose, Bewitched style.

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post

I thought it was to see if the day ended in a "Y".
    Indeed. Odin don’t need to move his mouth to lie...

Leave a comment:

• No One of Consequence
    replied
    Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
    The easier way to tell if Odin is lying is to check and see if his mouth is moving.
    I thought it was to see if the day ended in a "Y".

Leave a comment:

• Maitrecorbo
    replied
    I don't see why you would treat something as potentially important as a Scion as though it were just a scrub; they shouldn't be common enough to be thrown away like that. Other thugs, bosses, and assorted monsters, sure. But not Scions.
    Haha i really advise against making your antagonistic scion using the Foe archetype XD
    The titanspawn archetype might be going too far the other direction but hey if thats what it takes for your antagonist to not be a "scrub", then go for it.
    Last edited by Maitrecorbo; 09-10-2019, 07:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    You don’t need to create a full sheet to a character to make it important. Also, if you have a general idea it can result on a more powerful adversary than a fully described, because a full description also describe the limits.

Leave a comment:

• Purple Snit
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    Originally posted by Maitrecorbo View Post

I think you still use the antagonist buiding rules even if the anta is a scion.
    Notably the Hero book has a scion of Julius Cesar and one of Anansi as examples (i think, i don't have the books near me).
    You actually have both options, you can create a nemesis by character creation rules, as it’s a recurrent and may be fun to use a more complete character. You don’t need to, but you can if you want to as SG.

Leave a comment:

• Maitrecorbo
    replied
    Not to mention - is it assumed that PC Scions won't ever confront and oppose Scions who work for other forces? Because when they do, those other Scions will have their own knacks and purviews, and opposed rolls will be absolutely necessary.
    I think you still use the antagonist buiding rules even if the anta is a scion.
    Notably the Hero book has a scion of Julius Cesar and one of Anansi as examples (i think, i don't have the books near me).

Leave a comment:

• Kyman201
    replied
    Also keep in mind that my comments have been assuming that both parties are on the same Tier. Knacks explicitly don't work against targets of two tiers higher.

(Reminder: Tier 1 = Origin, Tier 2 = Hero, Tier 3 = Demigod, Tier 4 = God)

So if you have a Knack that lets you know if someone's lying to you, but Odin is the one you're scoping out... Odin's a God. He can tell you that the sky is green and Takes One To Know One won't go off.

The easier way to tell if Odin is lying is to check and see if his mouth is moving.

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    Have to say that Kyman201 is absolutely right in both posts.

What is happening here is the same as saying that Domination and Presence destroy the vampire game because they control everybody all the time when they want. That’s not true, Clash of Wills is there exactly to handle PvP and Pv powerful adversaries (equivalent to PCs).

If you think it’s not good enough, just force any use of powers against targets with legend values to force a clash, even when not by the rules. I think it will make the game really slow, but would give a great defensive power to anyone with legend value.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X