The Rules Nuts and Bolts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rules Nuts and Bolts

I would like some opinions on the crunch of the Sardonyx Storypath rules. How do they compared and contrast to the Post God Machine revision CofD style Storytelling rules set?

Are there mechanical similarities? Are there rules options or subsystems a Storytelling rule user would find useful? If someone came from playing a Storytelling game what assumptions would they need to watch so as not to trip over a new rules set?

I used to be Median but life has made me Mean.

The initiative slots concept is something ill definitely be using in Chronicles of Darkness games and maybe even in DnD

Completed campaign: Scion 2nd Edition. Les L├ęgendes Currently playing: Being a dad for a 2year old daughter anf a 1 year old son.

Comment

OK, so, starter question on clarity:

One of the things about the Storypath system, is that it's meant to be more of a core rules engine that's modified for each individual game line. It's not like the CofD where there's the same core rules between Requiem and Forsaken. Scion, Trinity, and the future releases all utilize the core rules in different ways. Scion and Trinity have slightly different specialty rules as a fairly simple example. So what someone coming from the CofD to Scion as to worry about assumption-wise is different from coming from CofD and going to Trinity.

Do you want us to just focus on the very general aspects of the Storypath system (and we're in the Scion forums because there isn't a single Storypath forum)? Or specifically the Scion implementation of them?

Comment

Both? Either is good Both is great. I have not seem much of either book yet. I was sort of surprised there wasn't a general Storypath thread. I played some Scion 1E because it was close enough to Exalted 2E that it was easy to learn despite the differences in system. Importing several Exalted rules hacks to Scion when I played before.

I used to be Median but life has made me Mean.

Comment

OK.

So... in general if things are called the same thing in Storypath as CofD, they're going to work in basically the same way.

However there's a lot of things that aren't shared between the systems, so even with that base-line familiarity, there's stuff that can throw you off.

The biggest hurdles I'd imagine:

1) Storypath's default system is much more abstract than CofD. There's less Skills, there's less ways to modify Skills. There's a much higher reliance on "fill-in-the-blanks," where the system gives you a general idea and you need to make up the specifics (ex: The Professional Training Merit in the CofD requires you to fill in a bunch of blanks to know what it applies to, but that's how a lot of important things in Storypath work). Coming up with combinations of Skill and Attributes that work even if not how you might have done it in the CofD is definitely a thing. Do not count on an equivalent to Merits to shore this up (Trinity does with Edges, while Scion's Birthrights don't really do that).

2) For CofD players that haven't played 1e Trinity, 1e Scion, or Exalted are going to have to adapt to the difficulty of rolls being expressed in a number of successes to roll instead of a dice-pool modifier.

3) The Momentum system is one of the biggest new things, that doesn't have a direct analog; as it's a purely metacurrency. It mostly replaces Willpower, but doesn't reflect and in-universe resource like that. Momentum is usually generated by failing rolls, or things that would cause Beats in CofD for negative consequences to things like Conditions or accepting social influences, and spent on some abilities or to increase your dice-pool.

4) Scale and Tier will take some getting used to, but the mechanical impacts aren't too hard to understand the theory behind.

5) The very concept of Paths is a big deal. This is another fill-in-the-blanks place. Character creation most heavily revolves around defining three Paths for your character (usually some combination of past, present, primary social group beyond the other PCs). Paths set your starting Skills instead of just spending dots, Paths determine things like what stuff your characters have, a circle of NPCs you can consult for things that would be Merits in CofD like Contacts or Allies.

6) Mixed actions (multiple actions in one turn) and Complex actions (what CofD would called extended actions) aren't going to be shockingly difficult to grok, but easier if you've played more than just CofD.

Comment

Working...
          X