Ages of Legend

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ages of Legend

So, I tend to enjoy historical settings, especially small scale pieces like those in the Dark Eras series for Chronicles of Darkness. So I thought it might be worthwhile to have a thread to brainstorm ideas for historical settings for Scion. I'm thinking that a lot of the really good ones would focus on one or two pantheons at most, dealing with themes and cultures that tie into their Virtues and mythology. So, two ideas I had.

I Walk These Hills (The Tuatha de Danann in Southern Appalachia, 1920 - 1940)
    Drawing inspiration from Manly Wade Wellman’s John the Balladeer/Silver John stories, David Drake’s Old Nathan, Sharyn McCrumb’s Ballad novels (and other books), and Cullen Bunn and Tylor Crook’s Harrow County graphic novels, as well as regional folklore and mystical traditions. Characters largely hail from Scots-Irish stock, immersed in its music, culture and superstitions, and embodying the virtues of Honor and Prowess.

Mascaras (The Teotl in Mexico, 1955 - 1970)
    Inspired by the classic age of Mexican Luchador movies, in which masked Heroes do battle against mobsters, mad scientists and monsters. Characters are primarily masked luchadors and luchadoras, Hungering for victory and willing to Sacrifice for it.

Added:
    ​Per Astromancer
    Hollywoodland (The Theoi in Los Angeles, 1927-1941)
    I'm using the release years for The Jazz Singer and Citizen Kane as bookends here. This is the period seen in parts of The Aviator, The Rocketeer, Citizen Kane, Barton Fink, F. Scott Fitzgerald's Pat Hobby stories, and others, with certain aspects of the previous decade (as seen in The Artist, parts of American Horror Story: Hotel, and Clive Barker's Coldheart Canyon) still lingering in the background. It's a place of titanic Egos and constant backstabbing and bad behavior, but when outsiders intrude, everyone forms ranks and protects the family (or the studio). This might, I think, specifically revolve around a major film studio that actually serves as a front for a cult devoted to Dionysus and Apollo (and perhaps also to Aphrodite and Ares, Hephaestus and Hebe).
    (Alternately, LA in the 1950s, but that may be more suitable for a different Pantheon. I'm undecided.)

Still pondering the idea of something for the Aesir in early 19th century Germany's Black Forrest region (Grimm Heroes). Also trying to work out a good one from Mateus Luz's early Bronze Age ideas.
    Last edited by No One of Consequence; 09-19-2019, 05:35 PM.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Those are good.

Why not explore hubris and madness with the Theoi in Classic Hollywood 1912-1968. Hollywood suits over the top Greek Tragedy stories.

Comment

My favourite Age of Darkness is the one for Mages and Werewolves in the Stone Age, so I guess I would suggest a few based on the oldest periods:

Rise of the First Kingdon (Egypt 6,000 BC)
      When the Gods discovered humanity in the banks of the Nile and create the first kingdon ever.

Gods of the Hunt and Farm (Southern Europe 4,000 BC)
      Long before the temples and the city states, the gods hunt side by side with humans and together develop ways to use their powers to create what would become the birthplace of philosophy.

The Fall (Rome 400 AD)
      After centuries of unquestionable power, the eternal city is empty and the temples have no more worshipping. The Theoi lost their worshipers and all their previous Fatebinding is broken, now they can go down and make new ones, or maybe repopulate the city with a new generation of heroes.

Comment

Originally posted by Astromancer View Post
        Why not explore hubris and madness with the Theoi in Classic Hollywood 1912-1968. Hollywood suits over the top Greek Tragedy stories.

That would be a good one, though I think it might be best narrowed down to about 1931 to 1949 or so. Call it Hollywoodland or something.

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
        My favourite Age of Darkness is the one for Mages and Werewolves in the Stone Age, so I guess I would suggest a few based on the oldest periods:
        Oh yeah, the classic bronze age periods for several pantheons would make cool settings. The Theoi before the Trojan War, China's first dynasties, the Egyptian Old Kingdom, and so forth. Likewise the historical periods most associated with each pantheon, such as the Viking Age or 15th century Mexico.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
        Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

Rise of the First Kingdon (Egypt 6,000 BC)
          When the Gods discovered humanity in the banks of the Nile and create the first kingdon ever.

Gods of the Hunt and Farm (Southern Europe 4,000 BC)
          Long before the temples and the city states, the gods hunt side by side with humans and together develop ways to use their powers to create what would become the birthplace of philosophy.

The Fall (Rome 400 AD)
          After centuries of unquestionable power, the eternal city is empty and the temples have no more worshipping. The Theoi lost their worshipers and all their previous Fatebinding is broken, now they can go down and make new ones, or maybe repopulate the city with a new generation of heroes.
          When I opened the Dark Eras book and saw the one about the Stone Age I was like "YES!!!!!". Stories slash campaigns set at the dawn of civilization (whichever civilization that may be) is a really interesting one to me. The unfortunate thing is that such campaigns are seemingly very difficult to develop and run.

So that said, your ideas here sound marvelous and full of great potential. (Whether it be for a Scion or Trinity or WOD campaign)

Comment

In a regular condition, Stone Age campaigns are very short because there is a limit on how far you can go without going away from the central theme of surviving in the nature and build your own tools. BUT the Sundered World is awesome because it deals with the two kinds of characters that are basically entered in this themes (Werewolf for survival and Mage for build your tool, in the case spells), so its very interesting way to go. Also there is a few other things that bring the attention, first the world that changed and still has marks of the legendary times (very Scion) and the spirit and flesh worlds in constant interaction (cam be very interesting Scion campaign).

If you put a campaign just after Zeus defeating Chronos and having to go after the other titans and titanspawns to punish them, or a campaign on the Heroes traveling in the desert to united the tribes to build the old kingdom against the will of Appep. It can be very challenging.

Comment

Working...
            X