Scion Francisco

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scion Francisco

So...was thinking of running a game with San Francisco as a setting. How would San Fran look in the World? I think the Shen would be strong in the area...or closely connected. Next to that, Tuatha, Theoi and the Kami perhaps?

Any ideas of places of interest that might be related to the city and the area?

Of the ten Pantheons listed in the core book, I think the only one you're going to see being really rare in the city and its surrounding areas are the Manitou. (The native people of the Bay Area are the Ohlone, who were part of the wider coastal Kuksu religious system, which I know nothing about other than that it involved ritual dance societies.) But, between gods doing whatever or picking whomever they want as scions, and the ease of modern travel, it's mainly a matter of what do you need for your game.

But, yes, the Shen probably have a significant presence, probably with some sort of Terra Incognita headquarters in Chinatown. (What you see in the film Big Trouble in Little China probably only scratches the surface of how much hidden stuff is in that neighborhood.)
    The Kami probably have something similar at the Japanese Tea Garden.
    I'd like to think that the Egyptian's have something in the Transamerica Pyramid building, but that's because I'm weird.
    There's probably at least one really top notch gay bar/nightclub devoted to Apollo and Dionysus in the Castro District.
    The city probably has at least some sort of cross-pantheon network for various socio-political foci - environmentalism (especially the ocean oriented variety), LGBT+ issues, and so forth. (I've mentioned in other threads my idea of the Lords of Chaos motorcycle club/cult founded by Set, Ares, and Loki as a sort of Scion-world version of the Hell's Angels.)

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Just a fledgling idea that would require research, but maybe play up that to the Western Pantheons, this is the ultimate West - with whatever that entails for their mythology, but for the Shen and the Kami this is the a mythic East (as they came across the Pacific).
      Last edited by glamourweaver; 09-28-2019, 09:28 PM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Thanks for the input so far!

Some random thoughts as it is late here:

In terms of Titans, I see about 3 topics/areas of interest which might lead to Titan activity:

Earthquakes: might be related to the fish titan of the kami, which shakes islands?

High rent: I'm thinking a titan of prosperity and its cult might be driving up rent for some reason to appease the titan or gather power?

Droughts: A titan of sun or sky is punishing California in general for some reason

Silicon Valley probably draws lots of inventor gods and demigods as well.

Hades probably has a larger interest due to gold mines.

Poseidon for earthquakes and ocean.

Comment

I have some vague recollection of early Werewolf the Apocalypse material having some sort of earthquake spirit bound somewhere near San Francisco, but can't recall any details.
          You may also consider some sort of terra incognia of Fusang, a mythical Chinese land that supposedly lay to the east of China.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
          Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
            I have some vague recollection of early Werewolf the Apocalypse material having some sort of earthquake spirit bound somewhere near San Francisco, but can't recall any details.
            You may also consider some sort of terra incognia of Fusang, a mythical Chinese land that supposedly lay to the east of China.
            Yeah, i’m liking this the more I think about it - the overlap of Fusang to the Shen and the Hesperides to the Theoi.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Egyptian Gods... San Francisco... The Far West... Why am I having Mummies Alive! flashbacks?

There are three types of people in the world... those who can count and those who can't.
              I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Comment

There is japan town in San Fransico that looks more like a shopping mall in some cases... though I would like to point out that every year they celebrate the cherry blossom festivals so I am going to assume there's going to be plenty of Kami hanging around.

Would also love to mention the mission district which has plenty of Latin roots and still has plenty of latin American people living in it so there's going to be at least some Teotl there as well

Comment

Just realized how fun Alcatraz could be in this setting. I mean, the Legend of the Unescapable Prison must be tempting for many Pantheons, to throw their unwanted ones in there. Titanspawn,rogue Scions/demigods, other supernatural beings could be thrown in there, and guarded by a mixture of wardens.

Comment

Working...
                  X