Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[2E] How to build a Guide who is the "Guy in the chair"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [2E] How to build a Guide who is the "Guy in the chair"?

I got 5 birthright points burning a hole in my pocket and an idea in my head but I'm not sure which permutation of guide elements will get me there.

Concept: A "divine" hacker who can provide mundane information near-instantly and hard to find information in a short period of time.

A bunch of keywords that pop up in my head as I imagine this Guide: hacking, traffic analysis, research, programming, forgery, divine history and politics, dark web.

Kinds of things the Guide could deliver:

- Putting the Hero on the friends list of someone who has their social media account or messaging app set to "friends and family only".
    - Getting the username and passwords to all of a character's sensitive online accounts.
    - Sending/receiving messages to beings in the Over/Underworld (like the Knack basically).
    - Getting the phone numbers of a crook who uses new burner phones every week.
    - Getting anybody's private phone number (even people like the mayor, a celebrity, the CEO of a major corporation, etc.)
    - Narrowing down which neighborhood somebody on the run is in, based on analyzed traffic camera footage.
    - Providing leads from pictures of crime scenes.
    - Providing names of people to drop in a conversation or to impersonate
    - Sending forged documents by courier.
    - Encrypting all communications coming in/out of any devices the Hero is using
    - Translate occult languages
    - Provide verbal directions through a secure facility

Chances are this guide will never make a physical appearance in The World.
    They communicate electronically and pointing the Hero in the right direction and providing enhancements to the Hero's own investigation, research, and social intrigues.
    The nature of the guide also gives them insight into the occult and divine realms of knowledge also.

Right So the good news is that Guides can function like Paths for the purposes of Contacts and Access, so if you can justify it, those are less of a problem.

What you need is a guide stunt for your PC, maybe a Title, or a Calling or Purview. Stunts are the toughest part of making a Guide for me, so I recommend finding a Guide Stunt from one of the sample guides in the book and just stealing it.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
      What you need is a guide stunt for your PC, maybe a Title, or a Calling or Purview.

Here goes nothing...

Asset Skills: Technology, Occult

Guide Stunt (1-3 successes): Gain an Enhancement equal to successes spent to your next action in the current scene that utilizes the information gained with the help of your guide.

Unique Knack: Send a message to and receive a response from someone who may or may not be reachable by modern communications (phone, text, email). This can be done even if the recipient is in an Otherworld and you are not (and vice versa).

Calling: Liminal

Purview: Moon

Can't say I'm 100% happy with it, especially when it's hard to nail down a Purview that explicitly deals with knowledge, truth, secrets, messages, etc) Maybe it should just be a 4-dot guide without a Purview?

Comment

What about Deception as a Purview? It will let you fluff it as like "My contact deleted footage of me from the network"

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
          "My contact deleted footage of me from the network"
          That kinda lines up with the "It also rules mutability and change, embodying the cyclicality of the moon’s phases through profound or subtle transformations" from the Moon purview.

You made me fill a bit better about sticking with Moon at least, so thanks.

Also, I'm not sure how I missed Sage for the calling before...

Comment

Do you have an idea on who you want that guide to be?
            At 4 or 5 dot for a guide we are generally talking about someone with the metaphysical weigth of a god or something in that range.
            For example i could see Utgard-Loki as making an original " tech guy in a chair "

Anyway what im going with is that if you have an identity from myths than it can help on making the guide stunts and purview-titles-calling.

Completed campaign: Scion 2nd Edition. Les Légendes Currently playing: Being a dad for a 2year old daughter anf a 1 year old son.

Comment

Working...
            X