Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Origin to Hero: What do you think about reseting the Player Characters?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Origin to Hero: What do you think about reseting the Player Characters?

Hi, I'm actually playing a campaign of Scion: Origin and we want to take it to God levels when we can. We started playing when we only had Scion: Origin, so the Player Characters in the campaign have many XP points accumulated (and spent). One player has 23 xp points and the others have between 12 and 17 xp. We are now beginning to play our "transition arc" where they are going to confront the major Origin antagonists in our campaign and this will kickstart their visitation (some characters will be chosen, others will realize are scions, etc).

But the thing is, the first arc they gained at most 23 xp, the second tier they could gain 10 xp (I think), but when they get their visitation they will start very experienced. This will not unbalance the game?

What do you think to restart every character when they get Hero tier because the visitation modifies every scion? I will talk to them about this but want to see your opinions too.

Sorry if my english is bad, I'm not native english speaker.

Eh, you probably don't need to worry too much about that. XP can't be used to boost Legend or Boons, and the number of Knacks you can have in use at a time is limited by your Calling Dots, which XP can't improve. They'll be able to buy more Skills, Attributes, Knacks, and Birthrights.

Because honestly, the players earned their XP. Though you may need to work with the one who only has 12 XP so far, help them pick out better Deeds to accomplish faster. Seriously, how do you lag THAT far behind?

tl;dr - I think you're worrying about a problem that frankly isn't a problem. Let the players keep their XP

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Thanks for the comment. About the Deeds and the player without much XP, it is because the ones who have less XP are the ones who don't play all sessions. There are only 2 players that played all sessions, and one has 23 XP and the other 20 XP.

About the Deeds, as I have played through 10 sessions, I think Deeds are not the best way to give XP, because either the player choose things too especific, or things to broad to farm XP. I'm still working on the Deeds.

Comment

Aaaah, missing some sessions would do it.

This is kind of why I just give out block XP for everyone, because uneven XP amounts with my players gives me hives.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

This is kind of why I just give out block XP for everyone, because uneven XP amounts with my players gives me hives.
          I used to feel this way, and still do in games like D&D but after certain players constantly show up while others... lets go with 'didn't', I just learned to lay back and enjoy it, especially in games like Scion and CoD, where the characters actions directly effect their Experience.

Call Me Ray.

Southern Gothic - Welcome to New Calais

Who Wants to Live Forever – Highlander in the World of Darkness

Comment

Originally posted by Gnomish American View Post

I used to feel this way, and still do in games like D&D but after certain players constantly show up while others... lets go with 'didn't', I just learned to lay back and enjoy it, especially in games like Scion and CoD, where the characters actions directly effect their Experience.
            Thankfully I'm blessed with a group of players who are able to warn me a few days out when they're unable to make a game, and them missing a game is a very irregular thing.

Comment

I miss those days. The older we get the more responsibilities get in the way.

Call Me Ray.

Comment

Buddy I'm 31, and everyone else is older. :P

Comment

37 here, and I wasn't saying it was a common problem, just one for us. I have 4 kids, 3 of which are in extracurriculars, everyone else has at least 2, one of which is special needs after a horrific car accident. My previously most consistent player is now in an "on call" position and has to cancel on the fly sometimes. It just is what it is.

Call Me Ray.

Comment

Gnomish American
                    I am 36, have 1 kid, 6 years old, I am trying to turn him into my player, but the game is still too simple and limited to Portuguese. I grew up in a city (Campinas) went to college in a second (São Carlos), now live in a third (São Paulo) and used to work offshore in oil business (probably I have worked in more places than most of my friends combined), so my friends are everywhere. I am a group-less GM and its sad... so I more than sympathetic to your feeling. It is what it is...

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
                      Gnomish American
                      I am 36, have 1 kid, 6 years old, I am trying to turn him into my player, but the game is still too simple and limited to Portuguese. I grew up in a city (Campinas) went to college in a second (São Carlos), now live in a third (São Paulo) and used to work offshore in oil business (probably I have worked in more places than most of my friends combined), so my friends are everywhere. I am a group-less GM and its sad... so I more than sympathetic to your feeling. It is what it is...
                      I'd offer to have you play with us but we haven't figured out how to successfully set up a discord/ camera system. I feel for ya, man.

Call Me Ray.

Comment

Mateus Luz well, it could be possible to play together, I'm from Brazil and deal with players in another countries (currently one in Paraguay, and another in Germany) .

That's why sometimes some players don't show and sometimes is difficult to create situations for the deeds of everyone, we need to make all the stars align :v

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

Hmm, how do you deal with and give XP? I'm looking for an alternative where even if one player gets XP, the others can gain if they help that player with his/her deeds.
                        Last edited by Oxcelot; 10-15-2019, 01:03 PM.

Comment

The things that give character experience (and not the group) are the aspirations, if they are present they can do that, otherwise only group XP. That’s how it works on Trinity and as I see it’s a good way to make the players do what they characters would do. Personal XP becomes more close to what used to be Will points, you don’t gain so often, but it’s still a personal development thing.

Helping the others to achieve the group objectives should be enough when you help others. Unless one of your objectives IS help others... than... good for you...

Comment

One thing I think I'm gonna try with the Short Deed is to introduce some house rule inspired by Star Trek Adventures RPG. Something similar to the Values and when the PCs do some scene where they conflict with their Value they gain the Deed XP. So this way we can have a scene where most players can gain the XP because their Values conflict with each other or complement each other.

Comment

Working...
                            X