Fake/Overstated/Misunderstood Deities and Recent Apotheosis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake/Overstated/Misunderstood Deities and Recent Apotheosis

What do you guys think about the idea of gods who either didn't really exist historically or whose importance was greatly overstated in pop-culture being Scions of their respective pantheons who ascended after their pantheon's heyday? For instance, "Radegast" being a modern Bogovi Scion who ascended to godhood relatively recently, or Brighid being an incarnate Scion of the exceedingly minor wife of Bres who greatly outdid all of her previous incarnates in importance and prevalence? Perhaps Ah Puch was a Scion of Yum Cimil who recently ascended and now serves as a rival of his patron/father, and Mikaboshi is, as discussed on the thread about him, a modern Kami Titan Scion? And so on and so forth. Just a thought. Santoshi, the Deva of satisfaction, who was made up for a movie but assumed to be "real" and basically became so because of it could be an interesting case study of this happening. (Thanks to Samudra for pointing her out to me.)

I rather like the idea. Pop culture especially is filled with these sort of weird, invented (via misunderstanding or other causes) additions to various mythologies, and IMO at least this sort of thing seems to fit the game's cosmology. It also gives a GM the opportunity to surprise players with an antagonist or other important NPC they weren't expecting.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Well, our characters are basically that, new gods to the pantheon that become somehow important, so we must be really open minded about them.

Comment

The Daijingu Shrine in Hawai'i has George Washington as a kami under Amaterasu Omikami. Om Banna in Rajasthan is a deity believed to protect people from motorcycle accidents. And other cases around the world with active storytelling show that religious figures keep getting added to their pantheons. Using modern folk examples for Scion can be a good place to draw inspiration.

Scion 2e Homebrew Pantheon(s):

The Nat, the Spirits of Myanmar

Comment

Originally posted by Wannabe Demon Lord View Post
          What do you guys think about the idea of gods who either didn't really exist historically or whose importance was greatly overstated in pop-culture being Scions of their respective pantheons who ascended after their pantheon's heyday? For instance, "Radegast" being a modern Bogovi Scion who ascended to godhood relatively recently, or Brighid being an incarnate Scion of the exceedingly minor wife of Bres who greatly outdid all of her previous incarnates in importance and prevalence? Perhaps Ah Puch was a Scion of Yum Cimil who recently ascended and now serves as a rival of his patron/father, and Mikaboshi is, as discussed on the thread about him, a modern Kami Titan Scion? And so on and so forth. Just a thought. Santoshi, the Deva of satisfaction, who was made up for a movie but assumed to be "real" and basically became so because of it could be an interesting case study of this happening. (Thanks to Samudra for pointing her out to me.)
          Yeah, I’ve considered Bridig the fire-goddess being a later apotheosis as well!

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

You can also have famous figures who died as Heroes or Demigods.
            And either use them as reincarnations as new mortals or have their ghosts as Guides.

Im also fiddling with using a concept derived from Mantles that i call Tatters or Rags. Not quite mantles that nevertheless managed to gain some manner of ... fateful momentum.

Anyway these figures dont have to be gods to be used in a game i think.

Completed campaign: Scion 2nd Edition. Les Légendes Currently playing: Being a dad for a 2year old daughter anf a 1 year old son.

Comment

Just as an addendum, Pantheons don't just always include new Gods

(For clarity, Thanos isn't actually an official Asura, but idols like these were popular after Infinity War in India, and is a great example of how much religions aren't static things but always evolving)
              Last edited by Samudra; 11-12-2019, 10:18 AM.

Comment

That's absolutely fascinating.

Comment

Yeah, and this isn't even getting to people who might be worshiped by different cultures as members of a pantheon (Japanese Shrines in Hawaii include figures like King Kamehameha the Great and George Washington, when they obviously aren't considered kami by the Japanese who live on Japan). Religions aren't static in the slightest.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

Yeah, I’ve considered Bridig the fire-goddess being a later apotheosis as well!
                    The only role in actual recorded Irish myth that Bridig has is as the inventor of keening. Yet they never seem to give Bridig the Death purview.

Oh I get my facts from the book "Ireland's Immortals."

Comment

Originally posted by Astromancer View Post

The only role in actual recorded Irish myth that Bridig has is as the inventor of keening. Yet they never seem to give Bridig the Death purview.

Oh I get my facts from the book "Ireland's Immortals."
                      specifically, IIRC, the fire goddess is based on Medieval English claims about the pagan Irish to justify Christianizing invasion forces (they were already Christian of course).

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by Samudra View Post
                        Just as an addendum, Pantheons don't just always include new Gods

(For clarity, Thanos isn't actually an official Asura, but idols like these were popular after Infinity War in India, and is a great example of how much religions aren't static things but always evolving)
                        IS that Hercules in there as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post

IS that Hercules in there as well?
                          No, that is Mahishasura, the Buffalo Titan, the Goddess Durga's most famous opponent in myth. The Lion he's wrestling with (which I assume was part of the confusion?) is not the Nemean Lion but Durga's Vahana, the sacred beast she rides into battle and her constant companion. The Lion aids Durga in battle and once famously slaughtered 60,000 Titans in a few moments:

6.15 Then the lion, the Devī’s mount, angrily shook its mane. Emitting a terrifying roar, it fell upon the demon army.

6.16 With blows of its paws, it slew some daityas and crushed others in its jaws. And it trampled other great asuras under its hind legs.

6.17 With its claws, the lion tore into the entrails of some and beheaded others with the stroke of a paw.

6.18 It tore the arms and heads off others still, and tossing its mane, it lapped up the blood from the bellies of others.

6.19 In an instant that noble, infuriated lion which bore the Devī wreaked destruction on all that army.

Comment

Originally posted by Samudra View Post

No, that is Mahishasura, the Buffalo Titan, the Goddess Durga's most famous opponent in myth. The Lion he's wrestling with (which I assume was part of the confusion?) is not the Nemean Lion but Durga's Vahana, the sacred beast she rides into battle and her constant companion. The Lion aids Durga in battle and once famously slaughtered 60,000 Titans in a few moments:

Ah just curious since he looks ALOT like Marvel Hercules.

Comment

It amazes me just how devastatingly powerful the Devas truly are. That's quite badass.

Comment

Working...
                              X