A Scion Metropolis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Scion Metropolis

One of the ideas that I think could really improve Scion 2nd by the present it would be to have a concrete (but not official or canonic) scenario. So, I started writing the "skeleton" of what would be something like a "Book about a city" that could help SGs to have some starting point from where start to build their chronicles. Cool places, interesting SGCs, good plot seeds/points. Something near the lines of Freedom City, but not so complex and vast. We don't need maps, and I honestly think they will be more an inconvenience than a help. Do you need a market nearby or far? It's how suits the narrative.

Maybe I get all of this and put at the Storyteller's Vault as a supplement, but at the moment, it would be time to ask for help. To create an entire town is a huge work, and surely, I'll not be able to do it alone. So, if you have any idea that maybe give this idea a plus, please share. Not much is firmly defined at the moment, so, any comment helps.

The main idea is to build a great metropolis, where all the pantheons can participate and have ties to. That is, I would say, the first and most important rule of this project. The metropolis has neutral geography. Meaning it can be place anywhere in the World, where serves the SG best. Having all the pantheons of the World present also means a multicultural/ethnical city.

That being put, the geographical neutrality difficults the History of the place. Like, if it's in America, how was the city during the European Colonization? Has it always been part of the Old World? Or maybe there is not much of History because it has arouse recently among the oil's fortunes of the Middle East. So, not much worrying about History now. Except maybe for the "gossips" items ahead.

Right now, I just sketched "what should this book/supplement/post-about-a-Metropolis-of-Scion should include". So far, we got:

Public Services: Official Armed Forces/Law Enforcement, Firefighters, Health Services, Social Services, Works and Public Administration, Army/Navy/Airforce nearby

Fun & Entertainment: Cinemas, Theaters, Nightclubs, Restaurants and Bars, Parks

Big Companies: Any great business in town. Technology enterprises, factories

Education: Colleges and Schools

Geography: Main natural points of interests, neighborhoods, communities, Plaza and Squares

Folklore (in the absence of a better word for this): Urban legends, gossips (textboxes of "You may have heard of..." with things that can be or not true about each of the previous items), memes

Religions: Temples, Cults, Churches

The "Dark Side": Main antagonists, criminal forces, titanspawns of more urban appeal, illegal markets, underground pit-fights, evil cultists

There is a lot of "etc" around any of these items, and even if don't that looks already like a herculean (tadah!) work. I probably let some important things behind too.

PS.: I remember some other post in the past trying to do something simiilar to this, but didn't find it today and tried maybe to recreate the creative idea. This is by no way a deliberate plagiarism.

I have fiddled with something like this in the past.
    (The far far past of about 2 years ago when free time was something i had)
    When i have the time ill go fetch my notes and post them here if you want.

Completed campaign: Scion 2nd Edition. Les Légendes Currently playing: Being a dad for a 2year old daughter anf a 1 year old son.

Comment

Originally posted by Maitrecorbo View Post
      I have fiddled with something like this in the past.
      (The far far past of about 2 years ago when free time was something i had)
      When i have the time ill go fetch my notes and post them here if you want.

Sure! Maybe because of the new year spirit, but I'm interested in work on something like this idea.

Comment

The principle of the "Middle ground for all Pantheons" also start to ressonate to me alike the principle of the Council of Venice from The Secret World/Secret World: Legends.

In there, the Council is not exactly a place, but another "faction" created to serve as a neutral intermediate between the other factions (there are just 3 playable - Illuminati, Dragon and Templars - but there are a lot more you encounter during the game). Each faction/cabal that aggrees to the terms of the Council (basically, protect the world, not try to elliminate other members of the aggreement of the Council without good reason, etc.) also has to send members to integrate and serve to the ideas of the Council. It makes this "faction" extremely diversified and powerfull at the same time.

In the World of Scion or even in this project, I think in add some "United Pantheons Organization", with the same principle. All pantheons are welcome to join and sign the terms. If you do, then some of your Scions must be agents of the UPO (we need a better name) working for the balance of powers in the World. And vice-versa, since they can help your pantheon, case of needing.

At this moment, I have no idea if this goes against some "design principle" or anything by official Scion writers.

Another worrying of me: It would be racist/prejudice/offensive/etc. to design cultural neighborhoods? Like, many cities in the real world have some neighborhoods predominantly belonging to a culture/ethnicity than others. So we could have "[Pantheon] neighborhoods" or better not? I feel it makes sense to have some places more rich/expensive than other, but not restrict this aspect to a culture/ethnicity specifically.

Comment

I think it's reasonable to have cultural neighbourhoods. I would keep it with real-world cultures instead of pantheon correspondences, though. And remember that cultural neighbourhoods aren't the only place people of that culture live, or where only people of that culture live. They're places where cultural life for a culturally-distinct population is centred. That includes, but isn't limited to, places of worship.

Comment

What i have so far.
            The Heorot Pub and Mead Hall.
            A bar that caters primarily to the legendary community (both heroic and titanspawn).The owner and bartender of the pub is the hero Beowulf and, surprisingly, the cook is his old foe Grendel (i like the idea that somehow they are friends now).
            Beowulf has a fair bit of knowledge about the hero community in the city. In the same manner, Grendel knows alot about the less hostile titanspawns in the city.
            Alternatively you can have Beatrice Wulf as the bartender and Glen Delson as the cook with both being descendents (or reincarnation, or incarnates or whatever you want).
            The Café (or restaurant ?) under the Mound
            A café owned by a shidhe where the food and drinks are so delicious you don’t want to leave.
            Time also doesn’t seem to pass by the same rate as outside the café.
            Uruk Holdings
            A very wealthy company or maybe a bank with Gilbert G. Meshwitz as the CEO.
            The city Sewage and Water system
            • Alligators in the sewers
            • Clean water is controlled by a Tlaloc, the sewage system is filled with alligators that are representations of the crocodilian earth mother, and at its centre rules Mictlantecuhtli/Santa Muerte.
            • And that's controlled by a local tlaloc and his mischievous servants, the chaneque
            The Botanical garden
            The garden consist of a ziggurat style building containing multiple rooms that serves as thematic greenhouses (japanese style, cactii, etc).
            Has a gate that goes to the terra incognita of the Gardens of Babylon that have grown wild out of being unattended for so long.
            • Humbaba stalk the wild garden?
            • The Gate to the terra incognita is protected

The abandoned underground subway system
            At some point in its history the city began a project to develop an underground transit system. For reasons unknown the project was abandoned midway through and in the present days it is forgotten.
            • Maybe something about dwarves or svartalfar building their own subway system and offering access (in exchange of paying for it of course).
            The Police Force (NBPD?)
            Heavily influenced by the Fomorians.
            The chief of police is either a or descended from one.
            Very focused on keeping the order in the city.
            • Head of police: Chief O’Balor
              • Very wealthy and dislike chaos
              • Maybe One Eye, One arm and One leg.
            • A Fomorian smells like the sea, and the clinking of metal that could be chains or coins.
            • Secretary to the chief of police: Fu Dog
            • The police also runs a secret prisons for divine and legendary sentient beings
            Fruit and Flower Club and Lounge
            A dance club and popular night spot in the city. Owned and managed by one of Sun Wukong’s monkey.

The Art Museum
            Possess one of the biggest collection on interpretation of dance in art (from all mythologies). It is curated by an Apsara (Laasya Apsara).
            The University
            The dean is a mummified ancient Pharaoh (or sorcerer). As part of his curse his name was taken away. He funds archeological expedition and historical research to find it again.
            • Got one of the best History and Archeology department in the world.
            The Organised Crime group
            A Stonecoat (a Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) man-eating stone giant sometimes called flint coats) rules over crime in the city. He enforces a diplomatic balancing act between the various criminal organisation in the city and even the police come to rely on him.
            • Okay it is a blatant kingpin ripoff.
            New Babylon Memorial(Or Central) Hospital
            One of the best doctor in (country the city is in) works there (find Yoruba name) is actually a Saint of the Orishas and possess extensive knowledge in both modern medicine (Innovation) and ancient remedies (tradition).
            The Market:
            While one can find groceries and various store catering to many cultures everywhere in the city, The Market is the place where one can buy food and various items from anywhere in the world in one place. Also for those in the know it is possible to find items of a less mundane and legal nature.
            • A family of Kappa runs the fish shop and a small sushi stand in The Market. They also have access to the secret market and everyone seem to defer to them
            • The father is called Kuzenbo.
            The stadium and sport fitness center (The Nike Stadium)
            • Sports trainer that is Chiron the Centaur. His assistants are called Victoria and Kratos and is related to Nike.
            A group of thugs led by the fearsome and greedy Svetlana Fafnerovna Andvari. The group is known for being very brutal and willing to accomplish any jobs for the right amount of money.

Other ideas to further develop:
            • Hockey team (sponsored by Nike of course)
              • New Babylon Nike Stadium (the colosseum)
              • Noms potentielles
                • Legionnaries
                • Phalanx
                • Centurions
                • Gladiators
            The Mayor

I hope this is helpful
            Don't hesitate to use anything there (or nothing) if you find some ideas you like.

Completed campaign: Scion 2nd Edition. Les Légendes Currently playing: Being a dad for a 2year old daughter anf a 1 year old son.

Comment

Originally posted by Maitrecorbo View Post
              What i have so far.
              The Heorot Pub and Mead Hall.
              A bar that caters primarily to the legendary community (both heroic and titanspawn).The owner and bartender of the pub is the hero Beowulf and, surprisingly, the cook is his old foe Grendel (i like the idea that somehow they are friends now).
              Beowulf has a fair bit of knowledge about the hero community in the city. In the same manner, Grendel knows alot about the less hostile titanspawns in the city.
              Alternatively you can have Beatrice Wulf as the bartender and Glen Delson as the cook with both being descendents (or reincarnation, or incarnates or whatever you want).
              The Café (or restaurant ?) under the Mound
              A café owned by a shidhe where the food and drinks are so delicious you don’t want to leave.
              Time also doesn’t seem to pass by the same rate as outside the café.
              Uruk Holdings
              A very wealthy company or maybe a bank with Gilbert G. Meshwitz as the CEO.
              The city Sewage and Water system
              • Alligators in the sewers
              • Clean water is controlled by a Tlaloc, the sewage system is filled with alligators that are representations of the crocodilian earth mother, and at its centre rules Mictlantecuhtli/Santa Muerte.
              • And that's controlled by a local tlaloc and his mischievous servants, the chaneque
              The Botanical garden
              The garden consist of a ziggurat style building containing multiple rooms that serves as thematic greenhouses (japanese style, cactii, etc).
              Has a gate that goes to the terra incognita of the Gardens of Babylon that have grown wild out of being unattended for so long.
              • Humbaba stalk the wild garden?
              • The Gate to the terra incognita is protected

The abandoned underground subway system
              At some point in its history the city began a project to develop an underground transit system. For reasons unknown the project was abandoned midway through and in the present days it is forgotten.
              • Maybe something about dwarves or svartalfar building their own subway system and offering access (in exchange of paying for it of course).
              The Police Force (NBPD?)
              Heavily influenced by the Fomorians.
              The chief of police is either a or descended from one.
              Very focused on keeping the order in the city.
              • Head of police: Chief O’Balor
                • Very wealthy and dislike chaos
                • Maybe One Eye, One arm and One leg.
              • A Fomorian smells like the sea, and the clinking of metal that could be chains or coins.
              • Secretary to the chief of police: Fu Dog
              • The police also runs a secret prisons for divine and legendary sentient beings
              Fruit and Flower Club and Lounge
              A dance club and popular night spot in the city. Owned and managed by one of Sun Wukong’s monkey.

The Art Museum
              Possess one of the biggest collection on interpretation of dance in art (from all mythologies). It is curated by an Apsara (Laasya Apsara).
              The University
              The dean is a mummified ancient Pharaoh (or sorcerer). As part of his curse his name was taken away. He funds archeological expedition and historical research to find it again.
              • Got one of the best History and Archeology department in the world.
              The Organised Crime group
              A Stonecoat (a Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) man-eating stone giant sometimes called flint coats) rules over crime in the city. He enforces a diplomatic balancing act between the various criminal organisation in the city and even the police come to rely on him.
              • Okay it is a blatant kingpin ripoff.
              New Babylon Memorial(Or Central) Hospital
              One of the best doctor in (country the city is in) works there (find Yoruba name) is actually a Saint of the Orishas and possess extensive knowledge in both modern medicine (Innovation) and ancient remedies (tradition).
              The Market:
              While one can find groceries and various store catering to many cultures everywhere in the city, The Market is the place where one can buy food and various items from anywhere in the world in one place. Also for those in the know it is possible to find items of a less mundane and legal nature.
              • A family of Kappa runs the fish shop and a small sushi stand in The Market. They also have access to the secret market and everyone seem to defer to them
              • The father is called Kuzenbo.
              The stadium and sport fitness center (The Nike Stadium)
              • Sports trainer that is Chiron the Centaur. His assistants are called Victoria and Kratos and is related to Nike.
              A group of thugs led by the fearsome and greedy Svetlana Fafnerovna Andvari. The group is known for being very brutal and willing to accomplish any jobs for the right amount of money.

Other ideas to further develop:
              • Hockey team (sponsored by Nike of course)
                • New Babylon Nike Stadium (the colosseum)
                • Noms potentielles
                  • Legionnaries
                  • Phalanx
                  • Centurions
                  • Gladiators
              The Mayor

I hope this is helpful
              Don't hesitate to use anything there (or nothing) if you find some ideas you like.

Surely I'll use it all! Much appreciated. I'll add somethings on my own too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike McCall View Post
                I think it's reasonable to have cultural neighbourhoods. I would keep it with real-world cultures instead of pantheon correspondences, though. And remember that cultural neighbourhoods aren't the only place people of that culture live, or where only people of that culture live. They're places where cultural life for a culturally-distinct population is centred. That includes, but isn't limited to, places of worship.
                Gave me a great light about how to portray this city. Yes, it makes total sense have cultural neighborhoods, makes even more sense align them with the respective places of worship. And that is what confused me a little. I'm thinking right now about how they are in architecture. There are specific laws about where to put them? That will surelly demand a lot of research by my part...

It looks reasonable to me to have typical buildings like we have in the real world for Kami and Shén, and maybe we can extrapolate that the modern Theoi temples drink much in the Classical and Helenical architecture. We have even modern Christian churches built by these guidelines. I just looked at the modern "Aesir temple" in Reykjavic (looks very beautifull, btw), and I think it could have a "brother building" in any other place in the World. There is some cultural or even legal restriction about their placement? Like, they need to be in forest places? But when we talk about Orishas (for example), the things get complicated...

Speaking about real History now, and I'm trying to have a huge soft touch in this question. My country (Brazil) unfortunatelly forbade that religions like Candomblé to have a specific place of worship in times past (very unfortunatelly, not much willing to change this in present days). The result was that the worshipers used what they had available. Common houses where the priests lived and terrains almost isolated from the public eye (so called "Terreiros"). So, it would be correct to say that places of worship to Orishas are actually places of strong natural presence? I see rivers and waterfalls being places of worship in Nigeria (if I'm not wrong).

Still talking about these places, the temples around the World are usually dedicated to a specifc deity, or there are "Churches of the [insert pantheon here]?"
                Last edited by Hayashi; 01-02-2020, 06:26 PM.

Comment

I'm generalizing here, but a lot of these temples/churches are holy places for the entire pantheon, but often dedicated to a particular god as their sort of patron.

Comment

In these last few days I tried (without much success) to write more things to this project.

I think the "easiest" part is actually create points of interest for the city. They being places or SGC's. The main issue I'm having is to create a general "union climate" between them, or they will be a lot isolated. Or this, or they will be generical scenarios with no "soul" in them. It's like to write a Chinese typical neighborhood and avoid the "This is a generical Chinatown where the Shén do their shenanigans". Maybe to have one or some general themes help. Still working on that.

The other solution I thought it's to use this as a plus, not as a problem. Really create many points of interest independent among them, maybe publish them in the Nexus as something like: "Here are interesting Restaurants, Bars, etc." (I really enjoyed the Beowulf+Grendel Restaurant btw).

I get frustrated for not to have any really good idea for this until now. But I'm understanding there is no recipe for that. It's more like an art than a science.

Comment

I know what you mean.

When i was preparing my game i really wanted to set it in a invented original city. Even found a location where i wanted the city to be (an empty biggish island near manitoulin island if i remember right)

But in the end, try as i might i just couldnt make the coty feel real.
                      So i set the game in New York and reused my ideas as interesting locations.

I still dont know what was missing for the city to click in my mind.
                      Or maybe im overthinking things (i tend to do that haha)

Comment

For places to have their 'soul' you need to add their history - or you will get "This is a generical Chinatown where the Shén do their shenanigans" kind locations. WHERE is your City located? WHO were it's settlers? WHAT is going now in the City? HOW the City is called?

Without answers on those, you will only have a list of points of interest, not the city with it's own soul.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
                        LGBT+ through Ages
                        LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

My initial thought on the origin of the city was that it was set up as a trading camp by the Ojibwe where they could meet and trade with other First Nations.
                          Then it became a trading fort during the fur trade period and in modern time the city is known as a center of immigration.
                          So the "soul" of the city always wasThe Place where Cultures Meet.

Despite this it never felt ... alive. It felt too ... static?
                          I dont really know how to explain this better sorry.

Comment

One idea that occured me at some time, and really trying to work seriously on it after reading these comments. Not to "create" a city 100%, but basically write about cities I know that can get this "all pantheons welcomed" vibe. My first thought was actually São Paulo, Brazil. It's the greater metropolis in South America, great industrial and business center reuniting people from all the world, ethinicities and social classes. But... I don't know much about it... Yes, research can solve that, but I don't think I'd have the gift to write giving a soul to a place I actually don't know.

I'm thinking about write about Rio de Janeiro then, since it's a city I know more about (and I'll research more about it anyway). Something like a "[City] by Night" idea.

Some interesting points about Rio:
                            • The Chirst the Redeemer seems like a lot obvious to me. It's one of the most famous points in the city, and besides being an Christian symbol, I think it can be actually borrowed to the Theoi, like a lot more places around the city (more about it ahead).
                            • The city was the capital of Brazil until 1960 (when Brasilia was built), and where the two emperors the country had past most of their time.
                            • There is a lot of (not proud of) slave history around.
                            • It was a famous place for Health and Medicine studies during the beggining of the 20th century (the Oswaldo Cruz Foundation).
                            • We have magnificent beaches, great turistic attractions.
                            • Interesting conflict of classes (that could be a lot more explored, but, this is a landmark of Rio itself: The city people has a general weather of peace, even with urban violence being constantly at the news).
                            • We have literally a place named Stone of Agartha (yes, that Agartha). It's believed by some that it's a gate to the Agartha that opens... somehow (gate to Terra Incognita).
                            • Many of the oldest (and rich) places around town have archtecture that resembles something like a Classical Europe (many are actually from the American Baroque period), but I personally can not avoid in thinking they mimic a lot of "sea motives". Maybe because the place is really proud of its shore.
                            • One neighborhood of the town is actually named: Todos os Santos (All the Saints). Maybe the concept can be stretched to "All the Gods".
                            Anyway. The good side in geting something that already exists is that we already have a History written about the place. We already have recurring themes when most people think about Rio (tourism at the beaches, urban violence, misery that the government tries to hide, unequality historicly long), and the Brazilian folklore in general can be gathered around here too (actually, many of the legends about jungle beings - like curupira and caipora - come from places more to west and inner side of the country, but that is a general ideal).

Scion: Origin speaks about the city of Salvador (and, btw, if any of the writers read this, know this comes from an actual Brazilian: That was an awesome portrait), but I really think that maybe talk about Rio can bring some good ideas too.

PS.: Btw, since it's a "[City] by Night" alike idea, can I call it: "Rio de Janeiro by the Gods"?
                            Last edited by Hayashi; 01-06-2020, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Why not '<City> From Myths' as settings series?

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
                              LGBT+ through Ages
                              LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Working...
                              X