No announcement yet.

Old Gods with Modern Purviews

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isn't the Sioux Spider Spirit Iktomi supposedly connected to the creation of the World Wide Web? Wouldn't such a being make a better choice for a "God of the Internet"? Especially since the internet is a good thing with a lot of hidden bad elements - like something a Trickster would come up with?

Comment

If we're looking for gods with internet-related connections we could add Eris goddess of discord and strife into the mix as patron of online trolls, spammers, and griefers.

Comment

Originally posted by Astromancer View Post

And yet Elon is getting things done. His "house battery" I think he calls it the Wall, is going to make solar more practical. His Tesla cars pushed electric cars forward when the major auto manufacturers planetwide had kept them off the market. He's clearly some form of trickster. A Scion of Hare? An adopted child of Brear Rabbit?
        Even all those are not his work, just the work of engineers he treats like crap, Elon is just an unimpressive douchebag who just happens to be ridiculously rich.

Comment

Originally posted by Magicjohnny View Post

Even all those are not his work, just the work of engineers he treats like crap, Elon is just an unimpressive douchebag who just happens to be ridiculously rich.
          Which would fit a Trickster even better. The sneaky lout that still gets stuff done. The creepy weasel who is still useful.Trickster doesn't mean "nice guy." Would you want to cross Bugs Bunny? He's a fairly mild contemporary trickster.

Comment

Originally posted by Astromancer View Post

Which would fit a Trickster even better. The sneaky lout that still gets stuff done. The creepy weasel who is still useful.Trickster doesn't mean "nice guy." Would you want to cross Bugs Bunny? He's a fairly mild contemporary trickster.
            Mostly I don't like giving Musk any credit because he's a chode who's not even impressive in anything he did. He inherited blood money from parents that benefited from jewelry trade and threw it at things.

Oh yeah. Very clever. Much tricky.

Fuck Musk, the only thing noteworthy he's done himself is getting Twitter and Reddit dumbasses to think he's Tony Stark.

Disclaimer: In favor of fun and enjoyment, but may speak up to warn you that you're gonna step on a metaphorical land mine

Comment

Also Musk is again not responsible for anything, it’s engineers who would have gotten it done even if Musk never existed who are responsible for all the technology and stuff

Comment

He is also responsible for trying to take down a democratic elected president to make more money, so I guess he is more Greed than Tech...

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
                Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Eat the Rich.

Comment

Who would be the goddess or god of social media?

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her.

Comment

Any god that deals with communication or language, or any god that fills an adversarial or chaotic role tbh

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
                        That may depend on any number of things, because it's a medium. I figure if Pantheons have Gods that are patrons of things like newsletters or heralds, those might fit. But some Gods may see Social Media as being an extension of their worship dynamic that they have with mortals.

Disclaimer: In favor of fun and enjoyment, but may speak up to warn you that you're gonna step on a metaphorical land mine

Comment

Thanks guys.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her.

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
                            Legba has a brother who stands on the opposite side of the Crossroad from him. Carfur or something like that. He's a Loa in the First Edition. If real world Voudoun practitioners proclaim Legba Lord of the Internet, then Legba's shadowy twin would get social media.

Comment

Legba e Carrefour are two sides of the same god or twins, if you ask different people. Legba/Carrefour are probably not a good option for social media, the idea of them being the god of Internet is because they are the bridge between the Workd and the Orishas/Loas, as they are the first to be called, opening the communication to the other gods, and in the end you thank them for the help, basically like a protocol connecting computers. They are not about vanity, they are not about showing, they are about communication.

My interpretation of Social media is closer to Apollo than any other, it’s all about seeing every one, shinning like the sun and being seductive. Other sun gods and goddesses may have some of those aspects, so maybe Apollo is not the only one.
                              Also Apollo has music and poetry among his purviews, what could amplify to other forms of artistically communication...

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
                              Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                              Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Well real world Voudoun practitioners say Legba is the god of the internet. I think I will defer to their opinion on that. Play what makes you happy.

Comment

Working...
                                X