X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wyrdhamster
    started a topic Old Gods with Modern Purviews

Old Gods with Modern Purviews

Stated as slight off-topic here, we entered in to discussion of how classical Pantheons Gods could take modern Purviews – for example, Internet. Open topic for lists I will compile once in a while from posts. Only rule – we propose maximum two gods per Pantheon per concept, so do not having every long lists of things.

Starting list compiled from my and Dataweaver propositions:

Internet

Aesir - Heimdall?
    Theoi – Hermes, Iris - she's at least as qualified for the role as Hermes is.
    Netjar – Isis
    Devas - Sarasvati, Goddess of Arts and Letters.
    Kami - Tsukiyomi - he's big on travel and gossip.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 01-09-2020, 05:41 AM.

• Purple Snit
    replied
    Isn't the Sioux Spider Spirit Iktomi supposedly connected to the creation of the World Wide Web? Wouldn't such a being make a better choice for a "God of the Internet"? Especially since the internet is a good thing with a lot of hidden bad elements - like something a Trickster would come up with?

Leave a comment:

• Astromancer
    replied
    Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

Well there are several Gods who probably wouldn't see anything wrong with social stratification and the like. Like, the Anunna of Mesopotamia would say that better people deserve to live better, but they're a bit old-fashioned.

The Tuatha de would probably take exception to Musk, though, because well... The fuck does HE do? Throw money at things and make dumb posts on Twitter? What's his Art? What did he study? Does he build things? Does he have a sense of poetry or satire? Is he a warrior? He's... None of those things. Mm-hm.

I think the reason Elon fits in with so few Pantheons is that when you get down to it... He's really unimpressive. He's not some tech genius, he's not a pioneer or an innovator, he's not really a trendsetter or even particularly bright. He's just some rich jackass who bought a company and branded itself a chic Future Tech industry. The only kinds of gods who'd want to call dibs on THAT guy would be asshat Gods who can respect a conman.

And frankly Loki may have helped spawn a giant wolf, a giant snake, and bore an eight-legged horse, but fuck, he's got STANDARDS.

Clearly Elon Musk is none other than EA NASIR!
    And yet Elon is getting things done. His "house battery" I think he calls it the Wall, is going to make solar more practical. His Tesla cars pushed electric cars forward when the major auto manufacturers planetwide had kept them off the market. He's clearly some form of trickster. A Scion of Hare? An adopted child of Brear Rabbit?

Leave a comment:

• Kyman201
    replied
    Originally posted by Wannabe Demon Lord View Post
    Mammon would be the most obvious choice. Or maybe the titan Mara of the Buddhist Pantheon, since I could see the demon of desire embodying the capitalist mindset of hoarding more resources than you could use in a hundred lifetimes and never, ever, finding satisfaction with what you have even if you're living like a god-emperor. There actually aren't that many deities of avarice, now that I think about it.
    Well there are several Gods who probably wouldn't see anything wrong with social stratification and the like. Like, the Anunna of Mesopotamia would say that better people deserve to live better, but they're a bit old-fashioned.

The Tuatha de would probably take exception to Musk, though, because well... The fuck does HE do? Throw money at things and make dumb posts on Twitter? What's his Art? What did he study? Does he build things? Does he have a sense of poetry or satire? Is he a warrior? He's... None of those things. Mm-hm.

I think the reason Elon fits in with so few Pantheons is that when you get down to it... He's really unimpressive. He's not some tech genius, he's not a pioneer or an innovator, he's not really a trendsetter or even particularly bright. He's just some rich jackass who bought a company and branded itself a chic Future Tech industry. The only kinds of gods who'd want to call dibs on THAT guy would be asshat Gods who can respect a conman.

And frankly Loki may have helped spawn a giant wolf, a giant snake, and bore an eight-legged horse, but fuck, he's got STANDARDS.

Clearly Elon Musk is none other than EA NASIR!
    Last edited by Kyman201; 01-20-2020, 06:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Wannabe Demon Lord
    replied

I dunno, who's a corrupt figure who represents the worst of capitalism? Musk doesn't know shit about technology and electronics.

Hell, he didn't even actually found Tesla. He bought it from the actual founders, and part of the purchase contract included giving him rights to call himself the Founderr.

Maybe a Fomorian, or Mammon?
    Mammon would be the most obvious choice. Or maybe the titan Mara of the Buddhist Pantheon, since I could see the demon of desire embodying the capitalist mindset of hoarding more resources than you could use in a hundred lifetimes and never, ever, finding satisfaction with what you have even if you're living like a god-emperor. There actually aren't that many deities of avarice, now that I think about it.

Leave a comment:

• Kyman201
    replied
    Originally posted by Astromancer View Post

Find the book "Gods and Robots" by Adrienne Mayor. Have your mind blown. Hephesaestus was building robots for King Minos!
    I knew about Hephaestus's robotic automatons. That's why I said he'd probably be a God of Tech.

And why I was saying I couldn't recall offhandedly Prometheus having anything really... Tech-related to him? He showed humans this Fire thing, but like, that's not even because he himself understood Fire innately in any symbolic way. He just swiped it and read humanity the instruction manual.

Leave a comment:

• Astromancer
    replied

Yeah but Prometheus isn't really... Tech-y? Like he gets conflated with fire a lot but really, he doesn't have a lot of metaphorical fire associations. He was the Titan of Foresight, his biggest deed was grabbing fire from Heaven and giving it to people.
    Find the book "Gods and Robots" by Adrienne Mayor. Have your mind blown. Hephesaestus was building robots for King Minos!

Leave a comment:

• Astromancer
    replied
    Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
    Stated as slight off-topic here, we entered in to discussion of how classical Pantheons Gods could take modern Purviews – for example, Internet. Open topic for lists I will compile once in a while from posts. Only rule – we propose maximum two gods per Pantheon per concept, so do not having every long lists of things.

Starting list compiled from my and Dataweaver propositions:

Internet

Aesir - Heimdall?
    Theoi – Hermes, Iris - she's at least as qualified for the role as Hermes is.
    Netjar – Isis
    Devas - Sarasvati, Goddess of Arts and Letters.
    Kami - Tsukiyomi - he's big on travel and gossip.
    Let's remember Iris and Hermes split the messenger duties. They filled different roles. Similarly they could splits roles to cover the internet.

Leave a comment:

• No One of Consequence
    replied
    Hermes, maybe?

Leave a comment:

• Kyman201
    replied
    Originally posted by Hayashi View Post
    A different approach to this post. In your opinion, Elon Musk (or a character Musk like) is a Scion of who?...
    I dunno, who's a corrupt figure who represents the worst of capitalism? Musk doesn't know shit about technology and electronics.

Hell, he didn't even actually found Tesla. He bought it from the actual founders, and part of the purchase contract included giving him rights to call himself the Founderr.

Maybe a Fomorian, or Mammon?

Leave a comment:

• Hayashi
    replied
    A different approach to this post. In your opinion, Elon Musk (or a character Musk like) is a Scion of who?...

Leave a comment:

• Kyman201
    replied
    And then he got chained to a rock until Herakles shows up to save him, doing a whole lot of Not-Tech-Related Stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Dataweaver
    replied
    And teaching them what it was and how to use it.

Leave a comment:

• Kyman201
    replied
    Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
    I was referring to Prometheus in the context of the debate between Athena and Hephaestus and the origins of technology.
    Yeah but Prometheus isn't really... Tech-y? Like he gets conflated with fire a lot but really, he doesn't have a lot of metaphorical fire associations. He was the Titan of Foresight, his biggest deed was grabbing fire from Heaven and giving it to people.

Leave a comment:

• Dataweaver
    replied
    I was referring to Prometheus in the context of the debate between Athena and Hephaestus and the origins of technology.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X