X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wyrdhamster
    started a topic Old Gods with Modern Purviews

Old Gods with Modern Purviews

Stated as slight off-topic here, we entered in to discussion of how classical Pantheons Gods could take modern Purviews – for example, Internet. Open topic for lists I will compile once in a while from posts. Only rule – we propose maximum two gods per Pantheon per concept, so do not having every long lists of things.

Starting list compiled from my and Dataweaver propositions:

Internet

Aesir - Heimdall?
    Theoi – Hermes, Iris - she's at least as qualified for the role as Hermes is.
    Netjar – Isis
    Devas - Sarasvati, Goddess of Arts and Letters.
    Kami - Tsukiyomi - he's big on travel and gossip.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 01-09-2020, 05:41 AM.

• Astromancer
    replied
    By the way, Maya Deren, a major artistic influence on world film, would make a fascinating Chosen Scion of the Loa, Legba most likely. She was a passionate follower of Voudoun and widely seen as a powerful Priestess. She even demonstrated the Epic Strength Purview. She could be well on her way to being the Loa of cinematography.

Leave a comment:

• Astromancer
    replied
    Well real world Voudoun practitioners say Legba is the god of the internet. I think I will defer to their opinion on that. Play what makes you happy.

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    Legba e Carrefour are two sides of the same god or twins, if you ask different people. Legba/Carrefour are probably not a good option for social media, the idea of them being the god of Internet is because they are the bridge between the Workd and the Orishas/Loas, as they are the first to be called, opening the communication to the other gods, and in the end you thank them for the help, basically like a protocol connecting computers. They are not about vanity, they are not about showing, they are about communication.

My interpretation of Social media is closer to Apollo than any other, it’s all about seeing every one, shinning like the sun and being seductive. Other sun gods and goddesses may have some of those aspects, so maybe Apollo is not the only one.
    Also Apollo has music and poetry among his purviews, what could amplify to other forms of artistically communication...

Leave a comment:

• Astromancer
    replied
    Originally posted by Penelope View Post
    Who would be the goddess or god of social media?
    Legba has a brother who stands on the opposite side of the Crossroad from him. Carfur or something like that. He's a Loa in the First Edition. If real world Voudoun practitioners proclaim Legba Lord of the Internet, then Legba's shadowy twin would get social media.

Leave a comment:

• Penelope
    replied
    Thanks guys.

Leave a comment:

• Kyman201
    replied
    Originally posted by Penelope View Post
    That may depend on any number of things, because it's a medium. I figure if Pantheons have Gods that are patrons of things like newsletters or heralds, those might fit. But some Gods may see Social Media as being an extension of their worship dynamic that they have with mortals.

Leave a comment:

• Magicjohnny
    replied
    Any god that deals with communication or language, or any god that fills an adversarial or chaotic role tbh

Leave a comment:

• Penelope
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Penguinbowler
    replied
    Eat the Rich.

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    He is also responsible for trying to take down a democratic elected president to make more money, so I guess he is more Greed than Tech...

Leave a comment:

• Magicjohnny
    replied
    Also Musk is again not responsible for anything, it’s engineers who would have gotten it done even if Musk never existed who are responsible for all the technology and stuff

Leave a comment:

• Kyman201
    replied
    Originally posted by Astromancer View Post

Which would fit a Trickster even better. The sneaky lout that still gets stuff done. The creepy weasel who is still useful.Trickster doesn't mean "nice guy." Would you want to cross Bugs Bunny? He's a fairly mild contemporary trickster.
    Mostly I don't like giving Musk any credit because he's a chode who's not even impressive in anything he did. He inherited blood money from parents that benefited from jewelry trade and threw it at things.

Oh yeah. Very clever. Much tricky.

Fuck Musk, the only thing noteworthy he's done himself is getting Twitter and Reddit dumbasses to think he's Tony Stark.

Leave a comment:

• Astromancer
    replied
    Originally posted by Magicjohnny View Post

Even all those are not his work, just the work of engineers he treats like crap, Elon is just an unimpressive douchebag who just happens to be ridiculously rich.
    Which would fit a Trickster even better. The sneaky lout that still gets stuff done. The creepy weasel who is still useful.Trickster doesn't mean "nice guy." Would you want to cross Bugs Bunny? He's a fairly mild contemporary trickster.

Leave a comment:

• Magicjohnny
    replied
    Originally posted by Astromancer View Post

And yet Elon is getting things done. His "house battery" I think he calls it the Wall, is going to make solar more practical. His Tesla cars pushed electric cars forward when the major auto manufacturers planetwide had kept them off the market. He's clearly some form of trickster. A Scion of Hare? An adopted child of Brear Rabbit?
    Even all those are not his work, just the work of engineers he treats like crap, Elon is just an unimpressive douchebag who just happens to be ridiculously rich.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X