Planning a one-shot and I'm stumped.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning a one-shot and I'm stumped.

As I said before, I'm planning a one-shot with the potential of becoming a full series. The one-shot will be set in New Orleans on Ash Wednesday, and will begin as a procedural about a serial killer sacrificing people to odin. his latest victim is a member of one of the players' entourages. So far, so good.

But there's a bait-n-switch. Scene one is the murder mystery and introduces 2 or 3 characters. Then I switch gears, and ask the rest of the table what they're doing. Let them wonder what's coming for them, and just when they think they got a handle on the story I'm going to hit the city with a Tsunami.

And here's where I'm stuck. I need to come up with a couple of seven scenes that allow the players to be heroes during a major disaster aaaand I'm coming to a blank. anyone got any ideas.

in case it's important, the Tsunami is the result of God Fall, specifically Triton, the son of Poseidon and the messenger of the sea has come to New Orleans in the flesh, so to speak. The Tidal wave is a side effect. It won't come up in the one shot, nor will they capture the serial killer. If the game becomes a regular those will be future plot-points.

Call Me Ray.

Southern Gothic - Welcome to New Calais

Who Wants to Live Forever – Highlander in the World of Darkness

Well from a narrative standpoint I question the satisfaction of having a one-shot where the stated premise is kind of dropped at the wayside and then left as a cliffhanger for if the campaign ever continues. That's kind of unsatisfying. Why not have it just be a murder mystery where the players are tracking things down, and it becomes increasingly obvious that the mystical is involved somehow?

Or if you want to you can just open with "It's a wonderful day in New Orleans except for the terrible tidal wave" and in that case you can turn the aftermath into a Complex Action of sorts.

"Hey, do X things that aid in recovery efforts. You can use Path Connections and the like to help with these!"

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. The players created characters and asked me to run a one shot, They have no preconception of what the game is going to be except that its going to be set in New Orleans. The player concepts are:

A US Marshall with a past
      An Instagram Model and Influencer
      An Ever-Loving Therapist
      A Tech Magnate
      A Teacher's Pet and
      A Punk Kid

They're pretty much relying on Fate to bring them together. I figure I'd have a little fun with it.

Call Me Ray.

Southern Gothic - Welcome to New Calais

Who Wants to Live Forever – Highlander in the World of Darkness

Comment

Well yeah, it's just that you say the initial thing is "So I'm going to set up a murder mystery", yes?

But then you say the murder mystery won't be resolved in the one-shot? That feels a bit unsatisfying to me to read about.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

I tend to agree...if the murder mystery is the point of the one-shot, it should be resolved in it. The tsunami, Godfall, Poseidon, those should be hooks for any future campaign. But resolve the one-shot in the one-shot, since that's your stated reason for the episode in the first place.
          Of course, nothing says there can't be a connection between the serial killer and a group who are opposed to Poseidon and his faithful...

Comment

Or heck, if the Disaster Relief is the major pull, say "You were in New Orleans for Reasons when suddenly TIDAL WAVE" and make it about that.

Comment

Gnomish, your idea looks very similar to Actual Play of Terrible Trio from Onyx Pathcast - plot is about Poseidon in Miami, but events sound a lot as what you look for. 😎 I love Onyx Pathcast | Episode 54: Scion Actual Play Part One, let's play it!
              https://www.podbean.com/ea/pb-z8xx4-b2b365

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
              LGBT+ through Ages
              LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Is it an Origin game or Hero ?
                Im asking because this will greatly influence how much the character can solve in one game session.

Completed campaign: Scion 2nd Edition. Les Légendes Currently playing: Being a dad for a 3 year old daughter and a 1 year old son.

Comment

Working...
                X