[2E] Pantheon: The Bodiless Powers -- Archangels

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [2E] Pantheon: The Bodiless Powers -- Archangels

I know I am not the first to try to take on Christian lore in the form of a pantheon composed of the archangels. That said, the setup for the setting of Scion 2E bothers me a bit because of how hand-wavy it is towards modern day faiths -- particularly the multitude and dominance of the Abrahamic faiths. So, I wanted to do some headcanon retcons to explain how you can have Scions out in front of the setting in areas of the world dominated by Christianity. I want the Bodiless Powers to be deeply integrated into the Scion setting rather than developed on its own and dropped into the setting.

What I want to do with this pantheon is explain how the Archangels operate alongside the other pantheons, but in such a way that Scions and their pantheons still get top billing. I didnt want to make the Bodiless Powers outright antagonists (thats too easy), but I did want to show that they operate fundamentally differently than other Pantheons. I tried to select a core set of archangels that applied to Catholicism and Orthodoxy... with the acknowledgement that I cant cover ALL the relevant angels for each branch of the faith.

So... this is my quick workup to see how it looks. I am very open to suggestions and critiques. I am hoping I can use this thread to broaden the writeup and eventually get it up on STV.

Bodiless Powers

The Bodiless Powers are gods but aggressively refuse to accept the nomenclature. Instead, they demand that their followers refer to them as ‘archangels.’ The archangels consistently say that they serve a higher power, one whose power is so transcendent that human physiology is incapable of pronouncing the name. Instead, human followers have given the Archangels’ lord the name “YHWH.”

YHWH has never been seen active in the way other gods have been. Likewise, despite many attempts, no scion has ever been visited by YHWH. Instead, the Archangels and Angels say they speak (and act) on His behalf.

The Bodiless Powers are the most powerful pantheon currently active. The number of the Heavenly Host, which includes the archangels and lesser angels, numbers close to one hundred. They have followers across the globe. Some regions and faiths place special emphasis on different angels, though the archangels are generally respected and followed across the world.

The angels’ refusal to accept direct worship sets them apart from the other pantheons. Instead of direct worship, they ask their followers to place their faith in YHWH which metaphysically then redirects and redistributes the faith towards the Host. In this way, the Bodiless Powers have created a system that reduces the types of squabbling and rivalries that are common in other pantheons. The communitarian aspect of how faith and worship work, ensures the Host are focused on things other than petty arguments or competition within the faith for the same followers.

As a pantheon, the Bodiless Powers were generally hostile to the other pantheons. For much of its history, the Host was actively aggressive against the other gods, seeking to either forcibly convert the followers of other pantheons or destroy those who refused to convert to worship of YHWH or the angels themselves. Since the ascension of the Bodiless Powers to a place of security and prominence, they have backed off from wide scale hostilities and aggression.

There are still elements within the Host who seek confrontation with the other pantheons. These elements are led by the Archangel Uriel, who coordinates warlike angles from around the world. Though the others rarely participate in any of Uriel’s “marches,” Uriel’s actions have never been denounced by the other Archangels (perhaps because the Host as a whole benefit from new followers).

Archangels:

Gabriel – the messenger
    Michael – destroyer, warrior
    Raphael - healer
    Ramiel (jeremeel) – protector
    Uriel – repentance, redemption – lambs blood in egypt
    Azrrael – death

Titan-equivalents:

Abaddon
    Lucifer

Weaponized Ink:
    Werewolf: The Savage Age!

I look forward to seeing your take. Is there a reason you are avoiding the word “Primordial” for YHWH?

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Indeed, the “inactive” nature of YHWH makes him a primordial. You can go deeper and say YHWH is the primordial of the universe, as “wherever you are, he is there”.

On Lucifer as a Titan, I think he was a archangel that was sent away for bad behavior (acting as a god instead of a messenger. Not different from lol being sent to the prisional with no walls or Poseidon being turned into a human for disrespecting Zeus

The proper answer to “Hello There” is, obviously, “General Kenobi”.
      Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
      https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product.../Fists-of-Flux

Comment

Very cool, but Azrael is a fallen angel. (I think there’s a black metal band named after her.)

Do you think they’ll ever do an official Canaanite pantheon?

In D&D, Fionnghuala is the goddess of Swan Maidens. Fionnghuala is also the Irish version of Penelope.

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
          Very cool, but Azrael is a fallen angel. (I think there’s a black metal band named after her.)

Do you think they’ll ever do an official Canaanite pantheon?
          No... too much trouble for little money.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
            I look forward to seeing your take. Is there a reason you are avoiding the word “Primordial” for YHWH?

Mostly because I wasnt focused on YHWH. Making him a primordial makes sense.

Weaponized Ink:
            Werewolf: The Savage Age!

Comment

I mean I have heard that the Devs would LIKE to do an official Canaanite Pantheon, but I haven't heard any confirmations thereof.

But if they DO do the Pantheon, I think Neall's mentioned that yeah, they're aware they'll have to at least address the whole thing about the Abrahamic religions in the World of Scion. Which do absolutely exist and are very real.

But trying to make any official write-up is not so much a can of worms as a can-shaped portal to the Elemental Plane of Worms. So I definitely understand WHY the Devs aren't making an official Christianity or Official Abrahamic Angelic Host writeup. Like, if I were an official writer I wouldn't want to step into the minefield.

Edit: Maybe a little hypocritical given that they felt the Deva were fair game, but I still understand why.
              Last edited by Kyman201; 01-25-2020, 11:57 PM.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

No... too much trouble for little money.
                No, they’re planning doing Canaanite (as in the pantheon with Ba’al Hadad, Anat, Mot, etc), I think it’s planned for God. Obviously nothing guaranteed, but that’s the expressed intent. Abrahamic is not the same thing and much less certain.

I’m working on an fan pdf for the Mal’akhim that I’ll release into the wild when I’m done. My feeling is if the Deva are fair play, putting Abrahamic traditions on a special out of reach pedestal is hypocritical.

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post

No he’s not. He originated as the Angel of Death in Islam. Black Metal bands are not authoritative sources on theology. I would guess someone confused him with Azazel along the line.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

No, they’re planning doing Canaanite (as in the pantheon with Ba’al Hadad, Anat, Mot, etc), I think it’s planned for God. Obviously nothing guaranteed, but that’s the expressed intent. Abrahamic is not the same thing and much less certain.

I’m working on an fan pdf for the Mal’akhim that I’ll release into the wild when I’m done. My feeling is if the Deva are fair play, putting Abrahamic traditions on a special out of reach pedestal is hypocritical.
                    I didn’t think too much before answer, but you are right, Canaan was latter occupied by Hebrew, but it was not monotheist back them.

As a little off question, Where the Hittites that occupied that region first hand? Are Canaanites a sub group of Hitittes? Where and when exactly the Hitittes were?

Comment

The Hittites were the first tribe to use iron weapons. Uriah the Hittite was a soldier in King David’s army. David sent Uriah on a suicide mission to be killed because he wanted to sleep with Uriah’s wife Bathsheba. I know A LOT about stuff like this.

In D&D, Fionnghuala is the goddess of Swan Maidens. Fionnghuala is also the Irish version of Penelope.

Comment

I didn’t think too much before answer, but you are right, Canaan was latter occupied by Hebrew, but it was not monotheist back them.

As a little off question, Where the Hittites that occupied that region first hand? Are Canaanites a sub group of Hitittes? Where and when exactly the Hitittes were?
                        No, Hittite power base is more to the north in Anatolia (modern Turkey). The Levant sometimes fell under their broader empire, just as it sometimes fell under a lot of people’s different broader empires, but they were never the “of” that land the way Canaanites and Israelites were. The Canaanites were a Semitic people, culturally continuous with the Phoenicians. The Hittites were Indo-European.

Notably some modern secular scholars don’t buy an ethnic distinction between the Canaanites and Ancient lsraelites. It might just have been a religious divide between city dwelling polytheists, and the more rural shepherding henotheists.

Comment

Fun fact: The Hittites and the Egyptians had one of the earliest-known examples of a peace treaty!

Also, the very talented Watcher and Sacerdos did a Homebrew Pantheon for the Hittite Gods, the Šiuneš.

And while I'm shilling things... User MorsRattas has made an Abrahamic Angelic Host Pantheon, a great deal more Jewish in outlook than Christian or Islamic, admittedly, but it has a sidebar for how I'd handle the Denominational Issue if one of my players asked to play a Champion of one of the Angels.

(The short version is "The Angelic Host do not answer denominational questions. Each time they try to clarify, three new sects are formed. So if they DO appear, they appear, give someone their mission, and then vanish")

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Back to the topic...

Mixing angel traditions lists from Catholics with Eastern Orthodox Churches we have…

Barachiel – Blessing – Callings: Creator, Guardian, Sage
                            Gabriel – Messenger – Callings: Liminal, Guardian, Trickster
                            Michael – Warrior – Callings: Hunter, Leader, Warrior
                            Raphael – Healer – Callings: Healer, Lover, Sage
                            Ramiel – Vision – Callings: Guardian, Liminal, Sage
                            Uriel – Repentance – Callings: Guardian, Judge, Warrior
                            Selaphiel – Prayer – Callings: Creator, Healer, Liminal
                            Last edited by wyrdhamster; 01-26-2020, 05:55 AM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
                            LGBT+ through Ages
                            LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

The Hittites were one of the three regional superpowers of the Bronze Age Eastern Mediterranean, an Indo-European people who had come down from the steppes probably around the Ukraine like the rest of the Indo-European descent groups. They moved into Northern Anatolia and began conquering and absorbing the regional powers until they snowballed into an empire. The Canaanites are a totally different population group, but one the Hittites did encounter.

As Kyman said, if you want a more detailed talk about their history, check out the opening chapter of the Pantheon for the Hittite Gods myself and Sacerdos did where we explain the historical details about the Hittites.

Scion 2e Homebrew Projects:
                              The Šiuneš, the Pantheon of the Hittite Empire, The Enduri: the Pantheon of the Manchu Peoples, The Sgā’na Qeda’s: the Pantheon of the Haida First Nation, The Abosom: The Pantheon of the Ashanti, Lebor Óe In Dea: an Expansion for the Túatha Dé Danann, The Zemi: The Pantheon of the Taíno People(s).

Comment

Working...
                              X