New Nexus products -- Philadelphia and the Gods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Nexus products -- Philadelphia and the Gods

I've been working on this for a while now, and it's finally ready! Philadelphia and the Gods is a setting book for Scion. It explores the intersection of the Theoi with the neoclassical obsessions of the United States' founding fathers. It also provides rules for playing Scion as a troupe-style pick-up game, perfect for game stores, conventions, and those nights when the regular game doesn't come together!

Philadelphia is plagued by its own history. Home of an Oracle of Apollo thanks to the relocating of the Omphalos of Delphi to the city in the 19th century, it has a chronic dragon/cthonic serpent problem, as well as a curse that attracts monsters to the Liberty Bell (and which may have cracked it in the first place). This has attracted a lot of scions, who have organized themselves into a democratic body called the Pythian Congress in order to handle both the curse and their own squabbles.

The book details the history, locations and characters of this Philadelphia, and gives setting rules for playing a pick-up game with a troupe-style collection of Scions. It goes along with two other books:
    • The Republican Pantheon details the history and mantles of a collection of Theoi worshipped as the protectors of the American Republic. It includes new Birthrights and an enemy of the pantheon -- Divus Julius.
    • The Pythian Congress is a collection of 10 characters to get your troupe of scions for Philadelphia started.

I'm in the planning stages of a game and this sounds right up my alley, so I grabbed all three.

What made you decide to cover Philadelphia?

Comment

I wanted something with connections to the American Revolution and its mythical elements, but I didn't want to go with Washington, D.C. Philly just sort of jumped out at me as a good fit, especially when I read some of the legends surrounding the Liberty Bell, and started thinking about it representing both the hopes of U.S. Independence, and its bad faith relationship with people of color.

Comment

I like this a lot more than I thought I would. I was never a fan of 1E's American "Pantheon," but I think this works a lot better. Having an offshoot of the Theoi/Dei backing the US makes a lot of sense, both because of the reverence for them that is so common in the US, and because, if the US is to be anywhere near as politically prominent in the setting as it is in the real world, it would need some divine backup and the Theoi seem like the most likely pantheon to do so. It allows the divine influence and string-pulling that permeates the setting to be present without depicting symbolic figures as equal to divinities with true cultural significance in a way that seems out of place at best and insulting at worst. This is very well thought-out and manages to make a concept I didn't think was doable work. Props!

Comment

I agree this is how I imagined doing my American pantheon too, but I imagine, due to the influence of Freemasonry, there being a few Egyptian God thrown in or subbing for theoi ones.

Anyway, these products are pretty good. Lots of good ideas to mine.

Comment

My feelings on the Masonic influence was that it was sort of a parallel strain to the Republican Compact, and one of the reasons they shied away from a state religion.

I'm glad people are enjoying the products. Let us know what you're doing with them.

Comment

How are you treating the Christian mythology and politics that must surely be present, seeing how USA is very strongly religious?

Comment

Like the core book, I'm kind of avoiding it. I made the assumption in writing Philadelphia and the Gods that Christianity had a strong cultural influence, like the real world, but that it wasn't taking an active role in divine politics. Since the book is a 27-page overview, I don't delve very deeply into that kind of thing, though I do mention that Philly has an abundance of churches, and mosques and synagogues as well.

In The Republican Pantheon, I really focus on the internal forces that caused a group of Founding Scions to make a pact with their parental pantheon, and not whether anyone was opposing them doing it. I talk about how the Republican Theoi are worshipped, but I don't go into how prominent that worship is, compared to Christianity. I wanted to leave people room to find that balance in their own World.

In my World, the rituals of the Republican cult take over a lot of the Christian rites we see related to politics in the US, while not having a huge effect on the overall religious distribution of things, other than that most worship of the Theoi is Republican worship, unless your family came over from Greece or Rome and is performing milennia-old household rituals.

Comment

At the risk of being a little self-centered and obsessive, I'm wondering what people are doing with these products. I've had some decent sales, and I'm wondering what kind of effect my work is having on people's games.

Comment

So, I would love to read the book but I can't download it. lol

I can download the other two books in regards to the setting but not the Philadelphia book itself. Could you possibly speak to someone about it?

Comment

Originally posted by thedonnie View Post
                      So, I would love to read the book but I can't download it. lol

I can download the other two books in regards to the setting but not the Philadelphia book itself. Could you possibly speak to someone about it?
                      I'll send them a message, but as the affected party, you're likely to get better action if you contact DriveThruRPG yourself, I'm afraid.

Comment

It finally works and I was able to grab it. I am digging it.

Comment

Working...
                        X