No announcement yet.

How should I handle duels in this game?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How should I handle duels in this game?

One of my players (a Scion of Odin) is up against a frost giant in my next game session. It is meant to be a ritualistic holmgang (a scandinavian duel). Since it is NOT an all-out battle to the death but rather "until first blood" I'm not sure the normal rules for combat in the game are adequate. I was thinking of doing it more as a series of opposed rolls with Fighting skill + appropriate Attribute where the winner is the best of three and then have the player narrate every roll in a dramatic fashion. What way do you people think would be cool to simulate a dramatic but not necessarily deadly duel?

That's probably a decent way to do it, TBH, if it's a more formalized duel than an actual battle. Adapting the Chase or Complex Action rules into it.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

If the idea is more like a ritual than a proper battle, I would go for a Chase with each of them trying to get a certain number of successes. You can even use excess successes to get some stunts that would make the adversary part more difficult.

Another option is a real fight until the first one get a Injured condition. It can be fast if both go for the blood or more strategic if they play defense and are wearing armors. Something to think about...

The proper answer to “Hello There” is, obviously, “General Kenobi”.
      Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
      https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product.../Fists-of-Flux

Comment

Ok, thanks! I've never even glanced at the chase rules. I will now though.

Comment

Working...
        X